Budget Driver For A Beginner. Ram Golf Evolution, Fazer Firepower?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just bought last years MD superstrong TI 460 for £60.... I have an excellent slice :) and on the 9 hole course today when i used the MD for the first time hit 4 out of the 5 fairways ..... very very happy :D

By aiming well left?

PeteHoram

Hacker
Visit site
Why do you think the MD golf driver stopped you slicing? Or have you just got better? Sounds like a good choice if I can stop doing that! Is that the square version or the offset model? Which would be best for me? Is it stiff, regular, 9, 10 or 12 degrees?

I can get the offset for about £70 - for not much more (£100) could get a taylormade burner or callaway diablo but are these suitable for slicers and beginners?

Today I was on a different range at garstang and was hitting under or around 150 with a 5 iron and about 125 with a 7, it was pretty windy but the distances seemed a lot different from the ones at ashton 9 hole driving range. I feel reasonably confident with the 5, 7, PW and SW. The rest i'm pretty awful.

How can I stop slicing the 3 and sometimes the 5 to the right. When I do the same thing with a 7 it goes dead straight a lot of the time. I don't get much height with the 3 either. This golf is confusing stuff! I think i'm starting to get addicted though!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi, I'm based near Lancaster.

I'm not sure of my swing speed. I hit a 7 iron about 150 yards and my rescue 3 about 200 yards when I hit it well. I'd say the 5 iron is just short of 200 yards.

Cheers

Out of 9, 10, and 12 I'd say go for the 12 unless you hit the ball VERY high.
With those distances I'd say you could probably use regular or stiff, is there no way you could try both?

What shafts are in your current clubs?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Today I was on a different range at garstang and was hitting under or around 150 with a 5 iron and about 125 with a 7, it was pretty windy but the distances seemed a lot different from the ones at ashton 9 hole driving range.

I bet the markers are out at ashton! Not uncommon for ranges to be way off the mark. The only way to get true distances is to laser them or go to a range that has lasered from each bay, the rest are 90% off by about 10 yards from personal experience.

PeteHoram

Hacker
Visit site
The 3 I always slice with is graphite and I think my irons are steel taylormade rac OS IIs. I'm not sure if I like my clubs the light feeling of the taylormade rescue 3.

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why do you think the MD golf driver stopped you slicing? Or have you just got better? Sounds like a good choice if I can stop doing that! Is that the square version or the offset model? Which would be best for me? Is it stiff, regular, 9, 10 or 12 degrees?

Its the offset 10 degree. Defo haven't got better i used to use an offset driver before this. I think slicing it less comes down to the quality of the equipment in my case.

I have only just recently satring playing once a month sometimes twice and have ordered MD superstrong irons they were really easy to hit and a lot better than the £100 starter set I had before. They are on order and should be here by mid march.

Where abouts in Preston do you play im around that neck of the woods at times??

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pete,

I have a callaway diablo draw version that i no longer need. Face is closed, albet you can determine by how much by the way you address the ball.

In mint condition, with headcover etc. I got it when i was starting again and slicing, held the club less closed as i improved. A good driver though, i wouldn't have changed.

If ur interested in it pm me. Happy to keep to ur budget as i got a shiny new one courtesy of GM

Scouser

Tour Winner
Visit site
OH And for the record Pete i also hit some willson clubs that were more expensive than the MD but still aimed at my level (which is sh*t) and couldnt hit them.....price means nothing as i found out :D

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pete,

Ive sent u a pm as i hadnt seen u were in Lancaster, im just outside preston myself so could meet if u want to see the callaway driver.....

PeteHoram

Hacker
Visit site
So I managed to try out the benross vx proto and the callaway edge and it was rather embarassing. I could only top the ball a hundred yards at best and not at all straight. I can use irons but I haven't a clue with the driver so I don't know what's best to get?

Maybe the £25 fazer until I can hit the damn thing properly and then work out what I need?

PeteHoram

Hacker
Visit site
I still haven't a clue what to go for.
So my options are:

Used callaway draw
MD golf superstrong
Wilson smooth
Benross VX proto

Are the Wilson smooth and Callaway draw worth their previous £200 price tags in terms of technology, quality and results for a beginner?

hangover

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You won't go wrong with a Wilson staff smooth for that price. £40 is a amazing price. I've used the driver and I found it as good as anything else I've used

PeteHoram

Hacker
Visit site
As good as your nike? Would it blow benross and MD golf out of the water as I improve my technique? Fair enough I might just buy that and see how I go on with it. What do you think of Nike drivers? They seem to be really popular:

SQ Machspeed STR8-Fit Driver £80
Nike SQ Sumo Square 5900 Driver £90

PeteHoram

Hacker
Visit site
Yeah it's a fair point. I just get excited when I see the pro name and see the reductions lol. I can get the 10.5 callaway edge used for £50 or should I just get the new wilson?