Driver for a Beginner

peahead

Visit site
I have been playing the game for for around 5 months and have real problems with my driving. It has got to the point where i no longer bother trying. I currently use a Wilson 10.5 degree driver that came as part of a Wilson package set but i can not get any elevation and most carry less than 100 yards.

As a result of this my iron play is at an OK standard and i shot 100 last week but i guess this will be my 'ceiling' score until i learn to use the driver.

I have read that beginners should start with a higher loft and a more flexible shaft and have seen the Taylor Made Burner Superfast 2.0 Driver (HT Loft) at American Golf for £99 and thought this could be a good starting point.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

As a background i am 6 foot 2, 13.5 stone and 31 years old.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, probably not what you want to hear but save your money and spend a small part of it on a lesson with your local pro with your current driver. He should be able to point you in the right direction to hitting it better, much more so than buying a new driver will. Once he has helped you hit the driver well, then you can get the new shiny :)

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hello and welcome, enjoy!

Defo your pro will get you getting it out there way past 100 yards, gain a bit of confidence then buy nice new shiney driver.

HotDogAssassin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Agree with what the others have said about lessons, but I can also recommend the TM Burner Superfast 2.0 Driver. I've recently bought one to sit alongside my 3 & 5 woods and I'm very pleased with them all. However, it's had no effect on my slicing issue, for which I'm planning to get back in front of my training pro with soon.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is no such thing as a driver for a beginner, all drivers are difficult to hit for a new player. Yes lessons are good but the quality of pro is paramount, sorry but a lot of club pro's are jumped up shop keepers who are not that good at the game themselves. If you are prepared to hit the practice ground and pound balls then lessons will help but regardless the driver is the most difficult club in the bag to hit consistently well. They have the least loft and are the longest club in the bag . My advise is hit a few off the shelf models go for a 12 degree in regular then when you get better you can go for a more exotic model.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can recommend high lofted drivers, I have 3 in my arsenal. (Benny 13 HT, Mizuno 13 HT and Ping G15 12)

However, in all honesty, any buying of new kit would be a colossal waste of money.

If you are not getting any elevation, it'll be your swing, I promise you. £100 on a lesson or two and plenty of range balls is the way forward.

hangukgenius

Club Champion
Visit site
Why not play with a 3 wood instead of a driver? Easier to hit and it will still give you good distance. If I struggle with my driver on a round, I'll use my 3 wood for a couple of holes before switching back to the driver. It's a confidence thing.