Bubba - refreshing clinic

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love watching Bubba hit golf balls. As many stories as I've read about him being a dick, I still like him. I'd love to play golf like Bubba. He's so free on the course, and just expresses himself. Has a ridiculous amount of talent to be able to play like that though.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
When I watched it, and learned that he had come through the college system, he must have had quite a battle not to be " Coached " when they saw him play for the first time, but as has been said when he is on the course he just seems to play as he sees it with such freedom and its effortless

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
hadnt tried the clubs before- didnt know the specs and just 'feels' the shot to play a draw/fade etc etc

his stories of just using one club are perfect- thats the way to learn how to play golf, not "a club for every shot" and "special grinds" blah blah blah

he uses whats comfortable to him and 10 wraps right hand, 13 wraps left hand (lefty) works- must admit I asked the pro to put 3 wraps at my right hand and two at my left and it still doesnt feel enough

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have you even watched this? I watched 3minutes as I haven't got time but he's already talking about liking thin soles and we already know he has 23wraps and 10degree open clubs.

Make no bones about it. Bubba may be able to play every shot with the same club but he has them club 'perfectly set up' for his preference.

Heard stories where he picks up clubs and rejects them straight away on feel, he knows it an iron is a degree out in loft, only 1 guy can do his grips etc.

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
27:24

Bubba hammers a drive, the crowd are quiet as they watch it fly and you just hear the guy nearest the camera in an awe filled voice say " good god almighty! "

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Have you even watched this? I watched 3minutes as I haven't got time but he's already talking about liking thin soles and we already know he has 23wraps and 10degree open clubs.

Make no bones about it. Bubba may be able to play every shot with the same club but he has them club 'perfectly set up' for his preference.

Heard stories where he picks up clubs and rejects them straight away on feel, he knows it an iron is a degree out in loft, only 1 guy can do his grips etc.
yes, what's your point caller?:confused:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It rubbishes your special grinds bla bla point.

The fact that he is so uptight about how his clubs are set up reinforces that point.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
That noise when he hit the driver off the deck was so, so sweet. Man I'd love to play golf like Bubba Watson, must be ridiculously fun having all these crazy ideas and being able to pull them off.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It rubbishes your special grinds bla bla point.

The fact that he is so uptight about how his clubs are set up reinforces that point.

it doesnt 'rubbish' my point, he likes a thin sole (most good golfers do), thats all he said. You clearly, and by your own admission, didnt listen.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
He likes the thin sole wedges, all his clubs are set open with tons of tape under the medium-thick grip, and he has his driver set to "around 8.6" degrees. If that's not being uptight and very specific about how he likes his clubs, then I don't know what is. He's not like KJ Choi picking them off the rack the day before a tournament, Bubba is VERY particular about how he likes his clubs.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
He likes the thin leading edge wedges, all his clubs are set open with tons of tape under the medium-thick grip, and he has his driver set to "around 8.6" degrees. If that's not being uptight and very specific about how he likes his clubs, then I don't know what is. He's not like KJ Choi picking them off the rack the day before a tournament, Bubba is VERY particular about how he likes his clubs.

who said he wasn't? :confused:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
He likes the thin sole wedges, all his clubs are set open with tons of tape under the medium-thick grip, and he has his driver set to "around 8.6" degrees. If that's not being uptight and very specific about how he likes his clubs, then I don't know what is. He's not like KJ Choi picking them off the rack the day before a tournament, Bubba is VERY particular about how he likes his clubs.

So am I, but it generally costs me money to get my clubs set to how I like :D

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
who said he wasn't? :confused:

Your comment about "special grinds" and "club for every shot" insinuated that Bubba didn't care about his clubs, as did "hadn't tried the clubs before, didn't know the specs". He hadn't hit those particular clubs before, but that's just because they were brand new. They would have been perfectly set-up for Bubba's very particular requirements. He might be able to go around a course with 1-club, but it doesn't mean he doesn't care about "special grinds". Maybe I missed your point, but that's how I read it, and so did Gary from the look of things.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Your comment about "special grinds" and "club for every shot" insinuated that Bubba didn't care about his clubs, as did "hadn't tried the clubs before, didn't know the specs". He hadn't hit those particular clubs before, but that's just because they were brand new. They would have been perfectly set-up for Bubba's very particular requirements. He might be able to go around a course with 1-club, but it doesn't mean he doesn't care about "special grinds". Maybe I missed your point, but that's how I read it, and so did Gary from the look of things.

yup!

I quoted what he was saying on the video and generalised with a comment of my own.

Didnt think people (two of you) would get that excited about it- it's no big deal, really.:rolleyes:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
it doesnt 'rubbish' my point, he likes a thin sole (most good golfers do), thats all he said. You clearly, and by your own admission, didnt listen.

I told you I haven't had time to watch it yet. By choosing low bounce and small sole wedges he is being specific what he wants.

The same applies right throughout his set. He is ott specific in what he wants.

Times gone by low bounce wedges were the preferred choice of players as you put it. Pretty even split now I would imagine amongst the top players.