Bubba Golf <3

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
In fairness, this really shows up poor course design imo.

Trying to protect the score by having a right angle dog leg, forcing guys to hit it short off the tee.

A really blunt instrument.

It's obviously a challenge for courses to set up for a Pro event, which might take place once a year, or once every 5 or 10 years. While 99% of the time it is played by fat guys slicing the ball 190 yards off the tee.

For a Pro set up I'd rather see courses adopt the following tactics;

Would much rather see multiple small deep fairway bunkers (providing a genuine disincentive to guys bombing it) as opposed to the massive shallow bunkers you often see.
Landing zone narrowing at 300 yards plus, neutralising the advantage (at some holes) for longer hitters.
Small, raised greens with run off areas - obviously not going to be possible at all courses, but where they have the option to shave the slopes around the green - they should.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Love it, but that is an absolutely insane line that could have gone so wrong and made him look a right tit. It didn't though, so fair play to him, need some imagination to even think of tackling that hole that way. High risk, little reward as he still walked away with par, guess that's Bubba Golf.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Love it, but that is an absolutely insane line that could have gone so wrong and made him look a right tit. It didn't though, so fair play to him, need some imagination to even think of tackling that hole that way. High risk, little reward as he still walked away with par, guess that's Bubba Golf.
Looking at that shot tracer image, he was still landing on the wrong fairway and having to wedge it over some trees wasn't he? I haven't seen a write up of what happened for him to still only make par though.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
In fairness, this really shows up poor course design imo.

Trying to protect the score by having a right angle dog leg, forcing guys to hit it short off the tee.

A really blunt instrument.

It's obviously a challenge for courses to set up for a Pro event, which might take place once a year, or once every 5 or 10 years. While 99% of the time it is played by fat guys slicing the ball 190 yards off the tee.

For a Pro set up I'd rather see courses adopt the following tactics;

Would much rather see multiple small deep fairway bunkers (providing a genuine disincentive to guys bombing it) as opposed to the massive shallow bunkers you often see.
Landing zone narrowing at 300 yards plus, neutralising the advantage (at some holes) for longer hitters.
Small, raised greens with run off areas - obviously not going to be possible at all courses, but where they have the option to shave the slopes around the green - they should.

So one person playing a hole a different way is a caused by a weak set up?

How do you explain pro's chipping while on the greens? That poor course design also?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll be disappointed if a committee member didn't come running up and give him a good dressing down for taking that line.
I did wonder if any steps were taken not to endanger anyone playing the other adjacent holes. They didn't mention any of that on the article. :unsure:

D

Deleted member 21258

snip

Hope they crack on and sort out the Old Course, with your suggestions, would be interesting :):D

Who would have ever seen a shot though the trees like that, mad, great to watch but so much risk. Come on bubba, great watching!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Hope they crack on and sort out the Old Course, with your suggestions, would be interesting :):D

Who would have ever seen a shot though the trees like that, mad, great to watch but so much risk. Come on bubba, great watching!

Not criticising Bubba. But when you see the overhead plan, they are obviously trying to falsely extend a hole with such a steep dogleg. Obviously trees can take decades to grow and can die or fall down in one bad winter, so it's not necesarilly something an architect would have come up with on the initial design.

I think the Old Course has elements of my 3 points in bucketfuls. When the Old Course was laid out, guys were knocking a ball 180 yards along the ground with clubs the length of a current 7 iron. The fact it has stood up to the test of time is huge compliment to the bunkering, raised greens and slopes and hollows on and around the greens. And of course that they can grow a lot of grass every summer the Open Championship is there.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Purely one for the punters.
The fact that he only made par shows that.
The risk in that shot wouldn't even have been worth a birdie.
I wonder how far out of contention he was and if he was in contention whether he's have even thought about the shot.