Broadband?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Currently with BT Infinity, or whatever it is they renamed it to recently. Been with them a good many years, and no problems that I can think of. Always had more than enough bandwidth for everything we do as a family. One of the benefits we have with them is the low price for international calling, allowing mrs wedge to call home to Japan as many times a month as she wants, at any time of day, for a fiver.

Yesterday, I got a card through the door from Vodaphone offering Gigafast broadband (https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/deals/gigafast having recently had the fibre installed to the property boundary). The top package is actually more expensive than I pay BT, for effectively less function other than speed, however, the base package is still I think faster than the BT offering, and would essentially save me £20 a month if I give up the landline. Just need to get the mother in law up to speed on Whatsapp calling.

Actually just seen on the Vodaphone website that the price includes landline, and can get international calling (300 mins a month) for a fiver. Might just look into this

Last edited:

TerryA

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you are changing supplier I suggest you sign up to quidco as you will get a cash back amount dependent on which supplier you go with. At present, I think the best supplier is Plusnet, great package for £21.99 and guaranteed no price rises during the course of the contract.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think one of the main problems with Broadband providers is as soon as your contract finishes they will not let you know. .

According to post I read yesterday on the SKY TV forum new legislation is changing this (from about April I believe) all service providers of this nature will have to give you notice well before the end of contract to give you time to change.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ours is with Plusnet - which I believe runs through BT anyway. But it's pretty decent and not too expensive I don't think. Although I haven't done a price comparison lately.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Boys just another bit of advice. Do an actual on test on your download speeds. The BT lines will carry 3 speeds. Ours will only carry 2. A quick check will tell if yours does the fastest speed. Usually postcode helps determine what is what.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
38 mbps will be FTTC. The £21.99 Plusnet deal is what we told BT we were going to move to if they did not price match it and they did no problems. BT also has some benefits such as cloud storage if you use it.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Have literally just signed up for a Vodafone BB package. 63Mbps, line rental with unlimited anytime calls to standard UK land lines and mobiles and 1 years subscription to Apple 4k TV with the TV box included. £28.96 per month. That'll do Pig.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Have literally just signed up for a Vodafone BB package. 63Mbps, line rental with unlimited anytime calls to standard UK land lines and mobiles and 1 years subscription to Apple 4k TV with the TV box included. £28.96 per month. That'll do Pig.

Sounds good Mate, that's one I shall look into. My current deal end 31st March so i hope they keep their deals running

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Sounds good Mate, that's one I shall look into. My current deal end 31st March so i hope they keep their deals running
Well, just to let you know Chris that my changeover went super smoothly on the 28th as planned.
No problems whatsoever, easy to get up and running and enjoying rock steady connections thus far.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Well, just to let you know Chris that my changeover went super smoothly on the 28th as planned.
No problems whatsoever, easy to get up and running and enjoying rock steady connections thus far.

Cheers for the update Rob. In the end I switched TV, broadband and even my two phone sim cards to sky. The broadband switches next Friday - I got everything for £80 p/m including anytime phone calls on the landline

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site

What do you achieve 12 hours later?