British Masters Thursday Sky Free Tickets

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Justin Rose is the host so will be around Hants Surrey Area - hears rumblings though about Centiurion, Wisely and Queenswood being used - would like to see Sunningdale used but think too short

As for Close house - heard two contrasting views , one being awful one being good but people shouldn’t be “attacked” for their own personal view of a golf course - that’s poor behaviour

That's rich
From you
Pot , kettle , black

You basically attack anybody's opinion on any topic on here, on a regular basis, should it differ from yours, or suit your "agenda":rolleyes:

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Handicap has no bearing on views, so I fail to see why you bring this up.

My gripe is, on the final day of the biggest golfing event in the north east in many many years, you come on here, not to celebrate this, but to whinge on, rather pathetically, to tell the world "It's Horrible"

Very sad

Was bad enough last week when some muppet on here is writing that Whickham is better than Close House....??....!!!

On the Whickham v Close House setup, it's chalk and cheese, Whickham is a good course, my current home course, but it is not a great course. Close House has two brilliant courses that present players with a challenge.

Whickham on a sunny day, when the greens have been cut and rolled and it is up there, I believe with the best the region has to offer. The views from he course are gorgeous. Play it after a load of rain, out of season and it turns into a goat track. Whickham as a course has a lot to offer, it has some of the best equipment on market to maintain the course, but it's done on a budget with limited greens staff but those greens staff do a great job in keeping he course in good nick. There's a lot of work been done to get it where is it today, but there is a load more work to be done improving the course over the coming years. For a private members club, it is in a financially sound place, no debt, full membership and making a small profit each year, the bits that let Whickham down is the space the club has to make improvements and lot of land surrounding the course is protected or owned by others who have in the past objected to building works, the club house is a horrible box in desperate need of renovation.

Close House on the other hand is wealthy club, with untold financial clout, more green staff than many other regional clubs put together, it has the best equipment to maintain both the Filly and Colt courses to the highest standard, has fantastic practice facilities, it's situated on the north side of the Tyne valley with fantastic views from the Colt course. Yes it is hilly but rather that than a flat featureless course. The club house is one of the best I've been in, providing golfers with a clean modern environment.

After walking around the Colt Course 3 times last week, I really want to go play the course. The setup for the masters was spot on, the course looking magnificent, the fairways and greens held up well considering the rain we had. Not sure of the normal hole numbers, but from a masters setup, there are only 2 holes that play up a steep(ish) hill with 1st and 6th with the 3rd, 11th and 16th having up hill tee shots. The 2nd, 4th, 9th and 12th playing down hill, the rest were flat.

The Masters at Close House has been a fantastic advertisement for golf in the north east.

Last edited:

user2010

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Oh here he is......climbed back out from under his rock to troll as usual.:blah::blah:

In answer
I know it's his opinion, I've no issue with anybody having an opinion, find it very bizarre to choose the final day of the biggest golfing event in the north east, to spout such negatives.
That's the issue, but as usual, you just read the bits you want.

As for keep quoting somebody's handicap, as if their opinion should mean more?

A 28 handicapper has every right to opinion on a course as a scratch golfer, both will like or dislike for perhaps different reasons though

That wasn't trolling, pal.
That was just a response to you jumping down MiB's throat because he voiced a different opinion of a Golf course/Area you like.
As I said, chill out, take it easy, you might live longer.:thup:
Wow, you are touchy aren't you?:ears:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23270

It's horrible. It's so hilly I wouldn't like to play it without an electric trolley. The course is built in the Tyne Valley & virtually every hole slopes severely up, down or sideways. It's a beautifully built course built in the wrong place. Two of our club champions have played in the Champion of Champions tournament there & hated it. Of the several championship standard courses in the area I like it the least. Rockcliffe, both courses at Slaley & Ramside are all more enjoyable.

What a pathetic post, from somebody based in the north east too....!!!
There's very little of any note ever happens in the area, yet here we are, after hosting a very successful tour event, record crowds, yet you post this crap:angry:

Just because the course wasn't designed with old aged pensioners in mind , doesn't make it horrible

Do I think it's the best course in the north east....??.....no
I too prefer Rockcliffe or Slaley hall, both from a design point of view.
But neither of these courses are even in the same league as far as setting, views, facilities, or most importantly......condition
Close house is without a shadow of doubt, the best conditioned golf set up in the north east, nothing comes close, everything is maintained to the highest standards.

As for Ramside.....championship course.....seriously...??
It's a hotel with a golf course, very decent, but not a championship venue, and most certainly incapable of holding any event of note.

Wow....just wow

Instead of putting a major downer on a big week, the biggest week for north east golf in decades, as a north east fella, you should feel happy at this point, that people up and down the country have just been reminded where we are

Blimey, MiB is fully entitled to his opinion. Just because his is different to yours doesn't mean you can have a go at him. And what has his geographical location got to do with it? He was commenting on a golf course, not the area or the people.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think Moogie was asking for a bit of local solidarity. Close House is in the NE, it's clearly rare for a tournament to come up here and he wanted the NE forumers to support it this week, not attack it, even if that is how they feel.

Exactly. It's not very often that the North East gets to host a golfing event of this size and regardless of personal opinion of the course, those of us in the North East should be supporting and singing the praises of the event. Making sure that we [The North East] get more events of this stature in the future.

Scotty Cameron

Head Pro
Visit site
On the Whickham v Close House setup, it's chalk and cheese, Whickham is a good course, my current home course, but it is not a great course. Close House has two brilliant courses that present players with a challenge.

After walking around the Colt Course 3 times last week, I really want to go play the course. The setup for the masters was spot on, the course looking magnificent, the fairways and greens held up well considering the rain we had. Not sure of the normal hole numbers, but from a masters setup, there are only 2 holes that play up a steep(ish) hill with 1st and 6th with the 3rd, 11th and 16th having up hill tee shots. The 2nd, 4th, 9th and 12th playing down hill, the rest were flat.

The Masters at Close House has been a fantastic advertisement for golf in the north east.

the Masters holes were different to the normal layout, the first at the Masters is actually the fifth normally and the adjacent sixth at the masters is the tenth and apart from the normal third hole (masters 16th) most are pretty level or downhill which I can live with. Will always remember Apibarnrhat's face as he approached the 6th green on Friday, he deffo needs to get a bit fitter for the uphill climbs :)

Is it worth about £100 to play, each person will have to decide on that though, me personally, I wouldn't pay that much, but if it was on an offer then I would be tempted.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
the Masters holes were different to the normal layout, the first at the Masters is actually the fifth normally and the adjacent sixth at the masters is the tenth and apart from the normal third hole (masters 16th) most are pretty level or downhill which I can live with. Will always remember Apibarnrhat's face as he approached the 6th green on Friday, he deffo needs to get a bit fitter for the uphill climbs :)

Is it worth about £100 to play, each person will have to decide on that though, me personally, I wouldn't pay that much, but if it was on an offer then I would be tempted.

I've not played the Colt, but after seeing it and walking it for 3 days, I most certainly do want to play it at some point.

I know the holes were moved around, with the normal setup there was no way of putting the grandstands around the 18th, so they had to give the holes a little shuffle and I think it worked perfectly, loads of space for the grandstands, the pavilions, media tent and the area for the public to eat, drink and try out new clubs.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Close House on the other hand is wealthy club, with untold financial clout, more green staff than many other regional clubs put together, it has the best equipment to maintain both the Filly and Colt courses to the highest standard, has fantastic practice facilities, it's situated on the north side of the Tyne valley with fantastic views from the Colt course. Yes it is hilly but rather that than a flat featureless course. The club house is one of the best I've been in, providing golfers with a clean modern environment.

👆👆👆 This

I believe the course was reconfigured for the event to allow room for all the infrastructure (entrance / exit / grandstands / etc)

I guess the 15th is usually the 1st (near the clubhouse) making the14th the last (green surrounded by water making a good finishing hole)

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
i know the belfry have bidded for it next year but as with this year they didn't offer enough. can't see them offering more

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did Close House pay to host the tournament? If so does anyone have an idea of how much they would have to cough up?

What income would they gain from the tournament? Would everything go to the European Tour over the course of the tournament or would they keep certain income?

Do courses go for tournaments purely for prestige and future income from green fees etc?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did Close House pay to host the tournament? If so does anyone have an idea of how much they would have to cough up?

What income would they gain from the tournament? Would everything go to the European Tour over the course of the tournament or would they keep certain income?

Do courses go for tournaments purely for prestige and future income from green fees etc?

apparently its a sealed bid. included in the application has to be proof of infrastructure and capability. i was told that the belfrys bid failed on how much cash they offered.

the belfry are upping the amount this year as they want the resort to appeal to potential Chinese buyers

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How does that fit in with the concept of the host choosing the course? Westwood is sponsored by Close House so that makes sense although I'm sure Worksop or surrounding courses are probably disappointed. If The Belfry had bid more, how would that work? He has no link to there at all, not local etc

D

Deleted member 15344

When the idea of the British Masters was banded about with the ET they spoke to the four main England Golfers about “hosting” an event at a golf course associated to them - Poulter approached Woburn for example to see if they could host the event with Poulter doing a lot of the ground work etc - Woburn agreed and believe so fee was paid but a lot of that comes from the Sky sponsorship along with the prize money - Woburn would expect along with the ET to make money from the tickets , merchandise and also mainly golf packages to the course after. Woburn made a loss I’m led to believe on the event ( free tickets etc ) . Then it was Donald’s turn and he looked for somewhere near his “home” of Hemel ( played out of Beaconsfield ) so The Grove was the perfect place for him - Westwood was always going to take it to his Club at Close House all with the same deals as Woburn.

Rose is next - he is from Hants so will look around that area - Bearwood maybe ( doubtful ) Wisley maybe but they are both private and don’t allow visitors - so maybe Sunningdale. Going to be interesting where he takes it - again same deal as the others.

The four guys did it to try and get golf back in England but not links and to also promote it in their area they are based - the clubs want to use it to increase their appeal so they can brand it “British Masters Host” etc

Course “bidding” for it ? Sorry but that doesn’t fit in with the concept and certainly not happened for the first two events and can’t see why it would happen for last weeks

Last edited by a moderator:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How does that fit in with the concept of the host choosing the course? Westwood is sponsored by Close House so that makes sense although I'm sure Worksop or surrounding courses are probably disappointed. If The Belfry had bid more, how would that work? He has no link to there at all, not local etc

I don't think the Belfry will get the next one because it's Rose hosting and I can't see a tie with him and the Belfry unless they pay him a huge some to become some sort of ambassador. It was clear Westwood would take it to Close House given his sponsorship ties in the same way Woburn and Poulter was a perfect match.

I wonder where Rose will go? Sunningdale would seem to short for modern day golf, they already have the BMW at Wentworth and other courses probably don't have the infrastructure. I'm not sure where he'll have it, but figure it will be in the South based purely on where he learned the game but I wonder if he's got ideas for anywhere else. It'll be an interesting call. I wonder if the Grove could be the venue again

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Could have completely misheard but thought on TV coverage they said Walton Heath may be the next host?

No idea if thats right (or even if it could house the infrastructure required etc)?

Close House looked absolutely superb and I'll be looking to get a game in up there at some point :thup:

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Is Rose still attached to Golf at Goodwood?

He certainly was a few years ago

Never been there but imagine they'd have the requisite infrastructure

D

Deleted member 15344

Is Rose still attached to Golf at Goodwood?

He certainly was a few years ago

Never been there but imagine they'd have the requisite infrastructure

His home club is North Hants but don’t expect they can host it - NWJ mentioned Walton Heath who I reckon could have the infrastructure to host it and it will keep it within the general area

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Could have completely misheard but thought on TV coverage they said Walton Heath may be the next host?

No idea if thats right (or even if it could house the infrastructure required etc)?

Close House looked absolutely superb and I'll be looking to get a game in up there at some point :thup:

Not sure. When was the last time they hosted a tour event? Beautiful location and courses so I'd go. Would definitely stay at my mates locally as the roads will be clogged. That will be a negative. The club would be perfect

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
His home club is North Hants but don’t expect they can host it - NWJ mentioned Walton Heath who I reckon could have the infrastructure to host it and it will keep it within the general area
Walton Heath could hold the event. Would be good if it went to an old traditional course, though there are not many in Hampshire/Surrey that could hold it.

Wedgey

Club Champion
Visit site
I was there on Thursday and Sunday, thought the course was in fantastic condition and well laid out. The whole setup was fantastic, volunteer marshalls were absolutely superb.

Massive well done to everyone involved and would love to see Close House get another major tournament.

Won a round on the Colt plus a four ball on the filly and really looking forward to playing both.