British Masters Thursday Sky Free Tickets

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's late September, early October, in the UK and we have had a lot of rain this last week. Last night it belted down around a lot of the area, not sure if that included the course. Bound to make the greens soft and so pitch marks, indents etc will happen.

As has been mentioned the course is hilly, the greens very undulating so razor short grass would make them silly. Saying that, play the course when the weather is good and there is nothing slow about the greens. 3 putts in summer are not uncommon.

If you played that course next week I'm sure you'd rave about the greens. I've played both courses there and they are both superb. Any player moaning is getting into prima Donna territory.

Totally agree. Look back to some of the old matchplay events from Wentworth at this time of year and the greens were always a little more bumpy than normal. The heavy rain last night wouldn't have helped. I enjoyed watching the event. Looks a great course and a lot of elevation. Is it a heavy walk?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've done it but hired an electric trolley as a treat to myself. I was okay after 18 holes but I suspect if you pushed or pulled a trolley around you would be bushed coming up the last.

The other course at the club, The Filly, is much flatter and there is no issue going around there. Don't underestimate The Filly course, really decent course, a lot of fun to play with very fast greens.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Totally agree. Look back to some of the old matchplay events from Wentworth at this time of year and the greens were always a little more bumpy than normal. The heavy rain last night wouldn't have helped. I enjoyed watching the event. Looks a great course and a lot of elevation. Is it a heavy walk?
It's horrible. It's so hilly I wouldn't like to play it without an electric trolley. The course is built in the Tyne Valley & virtually every hole slopes severely up, down or sideways. It's a beautifully built course built in the wrong place. Two of our club champions have played in the Champion of Champions tournament there & hated it. Of the several championship standard courses in the area I like it the least. Rockcliffe, both courses at Slaley & Ramside are all more enjoyable.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's horrible. It's so hilly I wouldn't like to play it without an electric trolley. The course is built in the Tyne Valley & virtually every hole slopes severely up, down or sideways. It's a beautifully built course built in the wrong place. Two of our club champions have played in the Champion of Champions tournament there & hated it. Of the several championship standard courses in the area I like it the least. Rockcliffe, both courses at Slaley & Ramside are all more enjoyable.

What a pathetic post, from somebody based in the north east too....!!!
There's very little of any note ever happens in the area, yet here we are, after hosting a very successful tour event, record crowds, yet you post this crap:angry:

Just because the course wasn't designed with old aged pensioners in mind , doesn't make it horrible

Do I think it's the best course in the north east....??.....no
I too prefer Rockcliffe or Slaley hall, both from a design point of view.
But neither of these courses are even in the same league as far as setting, views, facilities, or most importantly......condition
Close house is without a shadow of doubt, the best conditioned golf set up in the north east, nothing comes close, everything is maintained to the highest standards.

As for Ramside.....championship course.....seriously...??
It's a hotel with a golf course, very decent, but not a championship venue, and most certainly incapable of holding any event of note.

Wow....just wow

Instead of putting a major downer on a big week, the biggest week for north east golf in decades, as a north east fella, you should feel happy at this point, that people up and down the country have just been reminded where we are

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I don't go much for inland courses (except heathland)
I generally don't go much for new courses either

However I would love to play this course

Much better than I expected. Some quite stunning holes with lots of variety

Walked it pretty much 4 times in 2 days and yes it's hilly but manageable

There's lots of buggy paths for those less mobile

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
What a pathetic post, from somebody based in the north east too....!!!
There's very little of any note ever happens in the area, yet here we are, after hosting a very successful tour event, record crowds, yet you post this crap:angry:

Just because the course wasn't designed with old aged pensioners in mind , doesn't make it horrible

Do I think it's the best course in the north east....??.....no
I too prefer Rockcliffe or Slaley hall, both from a design point of view.
But neither of these courses are even in the same league as far as setting, views, facilities, or most importantly......condition
Close house is without a shadow of doubt, the best conditioned golf set up in the north east, nothing comes close, everything is maintained to the highest standards.

As for Ramside.....championship course.....seriously...??
It's a hotel with a golf course, very decent, but not a championship venue, and most certainly incapable of holding any event of note.

Wow....just wow

Instead of putting a major downer on a big week, the biggest week for north east golf in decades, as a north east fella, you should feel happy at this point, that people up and down the country have just been reminded where we are
Just saying what I, & a lot of others think. 2 handicap ex club champion (not an OAP), hates it. My 4 handicap mate, ex club champion, hates it. Another mate, admittedly 65, playing off 3, ex Champion of Champions, hates it. I heard that the Seniors, when the Seniors' tour were there weren't keen on it either. It's a beautifully built course built on unsuitable terrain.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played Rockcliffe on Friday. Was soaking wet with standing water on most fairways.
A lot of holes at rockcliffe look the same and I found it dull second time round. Looks and plays exactly like the PGA National at the belfry. Won’t be rushing back. There didn’t appear to be any standing water or real wet bits at Close house.
I’m booked in to play both courses at Close house next August and canny wait.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just saying what I, & a lot of others think. 2 handicap ex club champion (not an OAP), hates it. My 4 handicap mate, ex club champion, hates it. Another mate, admittedly 65, playing off 3, ex Champion of Champions, hates it. I heard that the Seniors, when the Seniors' tour were there weren't keen on it either. It's a beautifully built course built on unsuitable terrain.

Handicap has no bearing on views, so I fail to see why you bring this up.

My gripe is, on the final day of the biggest golfing event in the north east in many many years, you come on here, not to celebrate this, but to whinge on, rather pathetically, to tell the world "It's Horrible"

Very sad

Was bad enough last week when some muppet on here is writing that Whickham is better than Close House....??....!!!

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played Rockcliffe on Friday. Was soaking wet with standing water on most fairways.
A lot of holes at rockcliffe look the same and I found it dull second time round. Looks and plays exactly like the PGA National at the belfry. Won’t be rushing back. There didn’t appear to be any standing water or real wet bits at Close house.
I’m booked in to play both courses at Close house next August and canny wait.

James, you will defenitely enjoy your visit mate, the venue is pure class.
Agree regarding drainage, it has been greatly improved, on the Colt course, since it originally opened, now does a decent job.
Defenitely better drainage than Rockcliffe, and 100 times better than Slaley Hall, drainage is most certainly Slaleys biggest negative, though the courses there are very good.
Played Slaley Hall this weekend, was very very wet, and greens were terrible, but the practice green looked great, will try and post a pic.

The other course, at close house, the Filly course, is very good draining course too.

Condition of the Close House courses will defenitely impress you, the best in the area by miles.
Will you be staying in the Close House Courtyard rooms, that are on site...?

If when you come up, you are looking for other games, throw a post out on here, and I'm sure some locals will advise, or help out.

user2010

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

My gripe is, on the final day of the biggest golfing event in the north east in many many years, you come on here, not to celebrate this, but to whinge on, rather pathetically, to tell the world "It's Horrible"

Very sad

Was bad enough last week when some muppet on here is writing that Whickham is better than Close House....??....!!!

It's his opinion and he's entitled to express on here, whether it's right or wrong, who cares?:blah:
It's only a Golf course. Chill out ffs.:thup:

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's his opinion and he's entitled to express on here, whether it's right or wrong, who cares?:blah:
It's only a Golf course. Chill out ffs.:thup:

Oh here he is......climbed back out from under his rock to troll as usual.:blah::blah:

In answer
I know it's his opinion, I've no issue with anybody having an opinion, find it very bizarre to choose the final day of the biggest golfing event in the north east, to spout such negatives.
That's the issue, but as usual, you just read the bits you want.

As for keep quoting somebody's handicap, as if their opinion should mean more?

A 28 handicapper has every right to opinion on a course as a scratch golfer, both will like or dislike for perhaps different reasons though

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk

Very sad

Homer asked "is it a heavy walk". The handicaps were mentioned to counter the "you don't like it because you're not a good player" argument.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think Moogie was asking for a bit of local solidarity. Close House is in the NE, it's clearly rare for a tournament to come up here and he wanted the NE forumers to support it this week, not attack it, even if that is how they feel.

I've not heard any announcement about this tournament next year. Is there going to be one? Who is going to be the host?

D

Deleted member 15344

I think Moogie was asking for a bit of local solidarity. Close House is in the NE, it's clearly rare for a tournament to come up here and he wanted the NE forumers to support it this week, not attack it, even if that is how they feel.

I've not heard any announcement about this tournament next year. Is there going to be one? Who is going to be the host?

Justin Rose is the host so will be around Hants Surrey Area - hears rumblings though about Centiurion, Wisely and Queenswood being used - would like to see Sunningdale used but think too short

As for Close house - heard two contrasting views , one being awful one being good but people shouldn’t be “attacked” for their own personal view of a golf course - that’s poor behaviour

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site

:thup: nail on head