Britain is overweight.

phillarrow

Visit site
It's a worthwhile topic of conversation, but unfortunately putting the thread starter on ignore hides the whole thread.

That's the shame of it. There IS an interesting discussion to be had about all the factors that have resulted in an increase in the numbers of overweight people, and the possible solutions to it all... it's just become silly because of the OP's insistence on quoting daft things and pretending they're real science that he understands.

Like so many discussions these days, it all becomes too polarised and the interesting bits get lost amongst the noise.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
It's a worthwhile topic of conversation, but unfortunately putting the thread starter on ignore hides the whole thread.

Then at least skip straight past any posts by the offender
That's the shame of it. There IS an interesting discussion to be had about all the factors that have resulted in an increase in the numbers of overweight people, and the possible solutions to it all... it's just become silly because of the OP's insistence on quoting daft things and pretending they're real science that he understands.

Like so many discussions these days, it all becomes too polarised and the interesting bits get lost amongst the noise.

But surely that noise is just as much the replies of others, which in turn further encourage the offending poster?

phillarrow

Visit site
Then at least skip straight past any posts by the offender

But surely that noise is just as much the replies of others, which in turn further encourage the offending poster?

I can't argue with you there. From my point of view, I'm still new enough to be finding out who is worth having an adult conversation with... and who isn't!

At first, his replies to my post seemed a bit odd, then they were just plain weird. Eventually, I realised that he's either on a wind up or actually struggling to understand what he's reading/writing, which is why I bowed out of any further attempts at discussion.
I do reserve the right for a bit of humour though, which is why I chose to reply again at the ridiculousness of his posts about "ilk".

You are right though, no replies = less noise. ?

phillarrow

Visit site
Okay, so in the spirit of the fact that there IS an interesting discussion to be had about this, I'm going to give what I believe are the main causes for the obesity crisis facing many parts of the western world.
I'd welcome a sensible discussion with anyone about this - especially regarding how/if we can fix it.

1) Our lifestyles are far more sedantary than they once were. Ironically, at a time when food became more abundant, we began to move less as a result of our changing jobs, transportation etc.

2) Food is too cheap! I know this might sound odd given the situation regarding food banks in Britain today, but the average spend on food relative to income is far less now than it used to be, and less than many other European countries, such as the Scandinavian countries, which have lower average BMIs. This means we don't need to scrimp and can/do have larger portions.

3) The lower availability of fresh food on the high street compared with processed food and take aways means that it's harder for certain parts of our communities to access healthier choices.

4) The strong emphasis on education as an exam-based system has marginalised extra-curricular activities and they are just not given enough focus in the current education system.

5) And I think this is an underestimated reason - Working households find it easier/more convenient to buy processed foods, because fresh food goes off before the week is out and many of us struggle to fit in going to the shops more than once a week due to our busy lifestyles.
Since my divorce I've been determined to introduce my kids to healthier, freshly cooked food. I manage it but I do genuinely find it hard some weeks to choose varied meals that don't require me to visit the shops every couple of days. It would be MUCH easier to feed them processed food.

So, have I missed anything? Got anything wrong?
And, what is the answer?

P.S. Sorry it's a bit of an essay.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Okay, so in the spirit of the fact that there IS an interesting discussion to be had about this, I'm going to give what I believe are the main causes for the obesity crisis facing many parts of the western world.
I'd welcome a sensible discussion with anyone about this - especially regarding how/if we can fix it.

1) Our lifestyles are far more sedantary than they once were. Ironically, at a time when food became more abundant, we began to move less as a result of our changing jobs, transportation etc.

2) Food is too cheap! I know this might sound odd given the situation regarding food banks in Britain today, but the average spend on food relative to income is far less now than it used to be, and less than many other European countries, such as the Scandinavian countries, which have lower average BMIs. This means we don't need to scrimp and can/do have larger portions.

3) The lower availability of fresh food on the high street compared with processed food and take aways means that it's harder for certain parts of our communities to access healthier choices.

4) The strong emphasis on education as an exam-based system has marginalised extra-curricular activities and they are just not given enough focus in the current education system.

5) And I think this is an underestimated reason - Working households find it easier/more convenient to buy processed foods, because fresh food goes off before the week is out and many of us struggle to fit in going to the shops more than once a week due to our busy lifestyles.
Since my divorce I've been determined to introduce my kids to healthier, freshly cooked food. I manage it but I do genuinely find it hard some weeks to choose varied meals that don't require me to visit the shops every couple of days. It would be MUCH easier to feed them processed food.

And, what is the answer?

Point 5 is a big issue, more single parent families struggle to put a “proper” dinner on the table and the availability and cost of takeaways make it an easy option. I was going to say there are too many takeaways but I suppose that number is driven by market forces.
I work a lot in the poorest parts of East London and the amount of chicken shops is depressing, and after school they are all packed with kids buying 5 wings, chips and a drink for £2.50 now I don’t know if that’s going to be their only meal of the evening or if they are having an extra meal but they all look “well fed”
Maybe there is merit in not having takeaways near schools?

RichA

Visit site
Point 5 is a big issue, more single parent families struggle to put a “proper” dinner on the table and the availability and cost of takeaways make it an easy option. I was going to say there are too many takeaways but I suppose that number is driven by market forces.
I work a lot in the poorest parts of East London and the amount of chicken shops is depressing, and after school they are all packed with kids buying 5 wings, chips and a drink for £2.50 now I don’t know if that’s going to be their only meal of the evening or if they are having an extra meal but they all look “well fed”
Maybe there is merit in not having takeaways near schools?
It is difficult to fathom.
I'm early 50s. Back in the 80s, I remember more of us going out at lunchtime to one of the nearby chippies than staying at school for a cooked lunch or sandwiches.
We ate chips and batter bits for lunch literally every weekday for years.
I remember very few overweight kids at my school. I can only remember 2 or 3, in an era when it would definitely have been commented on.
We were, however, out on our bikes or walking long distances and playing football, cricket or going swimming during every hour of daylight that we weren't at school. Is that the difference? Sure, we had the ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64, but that was mostly for when it was dark or raining rather than a 4-hour per day habit.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I have a 1995 OED that says that the use of "ilk" to mean family, sort or type is colloquial and should be avoided in formal English.
It gives an example of correct use as "Guthrie of that ilk" means Guthrie of Guthrie.

But our language does evolve and I suspect the colloquial use is the meaning most used and understood now.

The one I continue to have a problem accepting is "back-to-back" replacing "nose-to-tail" for consecutive occurrences, one after another (eg birdies etc)
I continue to say "nose-to-tail" and I get the response, "You mean back-to-back?"
I reply, "No."

I'm at the point of giving up on that one.

Yes, like the football one of "he's overrun the ball". ?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

And, what is the answer?

That is about it, really. Don't see how it can be argued with.
I was a kid in the 50s. I remember being sent by mum to buy a loaf of bread often( no freezer, or even a fridge), so trips to food shops were frequent.
Suppose most of what I ate of that loaf I burned off running to get it!?.
Hardly saw anyone who was fat.
Years ago most people used their own muscles to move around very much more than now. (E.g I didn't get in a car until I was 13 yrs old!)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm early 50s. Back in the 80s, I remember more of us going out at lunchtime to one of the nearby chippies than staying at school for a cooked lunch or sandwiches.
I remember very few overweight kids at my school. I can only remember 2 or 3, in an era when it would definitely have been commented on.
We were, however, out on our bikes or walking long distances and playing football, cricket or going swimming during every hour of daylight that we weren't at school. Is that the difference? Sure, we had the ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64, but that was mostly for when it was dark or raining rather than a 4-hour per day habit.

I'm (very) late 60's and can concur with most of what you write, except the ZX and Commodore bit. The thing I'd add is that we didnt get ferried to and from school, I had 3 bus rides to senior school, and some walking too, no lift each day in mums Range Rover. We did definitely eat better, no KFC or Big Mac's and very little between meals and all meals were cooked at home.

Life was very different, my senior school was all boys and there were only a couple of overweight kids in any class.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I'm (very) late 60's and can concur with most of what you write, except the ZX and Commodore bit. The thing I'd add is that we didnt get ferried to and from school, I had 3 bus rides to senior school, and some walking too, no lift each day in mums Range Rover. We did definitely eat better, no KFC or Big Mac's and very little between meals and all meals were cooked at home.

Life was very different, my senior school was all boys and there were only a couple of overweight kids in any class.

Similar here, my senior school was just over 1.5 miles away and unless the weather was vile we used to walk so that we could save the bus money.

Lunch was usually bought from the local VG store and consisted of a Mr Kipling apple pie (about 5" or 6" diameter) and a bag of crisps or similar.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I do think its too easy to buy rubbish and too expensive to cook from scratch in general.

However - and this is not an advert - just a suggestion to others who may be looking for a healthy dinner solution.

For about 9 months or so, me and my wife have been having Gousto meals - they're absolutely amazing.

All ingredients delivered fresh - no wasted ingredients either which is another bug bear of mine!

62 different recipes to choose from every week - cooking from scratch every time.

Recommend it to anyone who wants to add some fresh ideas into their meals! We eat such good food these days!

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

As someone in their mid 50s I agree with all that, maybe it’s more to do with Phil’s 1st point, a sedentary lifestyle. No raking the streets all hours for kids today, too much on you tube to keep you on your backside. Being stuck indoors when I was young was so unbelievably boring I would rather just kick a ball against a wall around the estate and hope someone would come along to play than stay in.
We always burned as many calories as we consumed that’s for sure.

phillarrow

Visit site

Similar here, my senior school was just over 1.5 miles away and unless the weather was vile we used to walk so that we could save the bus money.

Lunch was usually bought from the local VG store and consisted of a Mr Kipling apple pie (about 5" or 6" diameter) and a bag of crisps or similar.

These are good points, and I missed them from my list - the location of things like shops and schools.

Many local shops are gone, so people drive to a supermarket, rather than walk to a local shop.

In the push for economic efficiency, small schools have been closed and/or merged with others, which means that far fewer children live within walking distance of their local schools. (Obviously we know that some parents choose to drive even if it's only two minutes away, but it hasn't helped that more children are not within reasonable walking distance from their schools.)

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I do think its too easy to buy rubbish and too expensive to cook from scratch in general.

However - and this is not an advert - just a suggestion to others who may be looking for a healthy dinner solution.

For about 9 months or so, me and my wife have been having Gousto meals - they're absolutely amazing.

All ingredients delivered fresh - no wasted ingredients either which is another bug bear of mine!

62 different recipes to choose from every week - cooking from scratch every time.

Recommend it to anyone who wants to add some fresh ideas into their meals! We eat such good food these days!

Yeah we used hello fresh introductory/re sign up offers they throw around like confetti

they're brilliant to get even for some new ideas to eat on rotation

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Yeah we used hello fresh introductory/re sign up offers they throw around like confetti

they're brilliant to get even for some new ideas to eat on rotation

Totally agree, we eat foods we never dreamed of before! Absolutely love it

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A minor observation of the diet of one particular kid in the mid-late 60s.

My parents had very little money to spare so the only sweets we had during the week were a Friday night treat when my dad would come home from work with a fudge; a flake; and a Fry’s chocolate cream. The three of us kids took turns at first choice of chocolate bar of the week. Otherwise no sweets during the week and also no crisps during the week.

My pocket money was a shilling. On a Saturday morning that bought me my comic and a packet of crisps…with enough left over for a single small chocolate or toffee bar and a few 1d chews (Macgowans ‘green wrapper’)

Lunch was school meals. Tea often included left over from school dinner as my mum was head cook ?

Last edited: