Britain is overweight.

phillarrow

Visit site
I live far more healthily than I used to. I've lost some weight recently and am now at my lightest weight since I was 18. I'm really enjoying feeling fitter and healthier.
And yet...this thread makes me feel like eating burgers and chocolate and stopping all forms of exercise - I'd rather be fat and die young than turn into this guy! ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Misuse of the word ilk.
https://www.nytimes.com/1889/08/04/archives/of-that-ilk.html
"Of that ilk" means "of the place bearing a similar name."
Personally I prefer the English version not the American. Furthermore I am firmly of the Ilk that quoting America to support your case in the queens English is an own goal.
  • In modern use, ilk is used in phrases such as of his ilk, of that ilk, to mean ‘type’ or ‘sort.’ It often, though not necessarily, has negative connotations. The use arose out of a misunderstanding of the earlier, Scottish use in the phrase of that ilk, where it means ‘of the same name or place.’ For this reason, some traditionalists regard the modern use as incorrect. It is, however, the only common current use and is now part of standard English.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Nope. Ilk is originally a Scottish word meaning of the same clan or location.
Originally, Yes, as posted seemingly eons ago! But, seemingly unlike you, language evolves.
Just refer to posts 278 or 283! Or simply Google 'ilk' to confirm - as well as noting the reference to the 'archaic Scottish' root.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Thanks for today's contribution of your utter twaddle!

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've piggy backed the catholic tradition of lent this year again.

Decided to kick the biscuits, fizzy drinks, sweets, crisps and chocolate for the duration which is 6 weeks.

Half way through now and I've lost half a stone. I haven't ever been hungry. Its crazy how many times I've had to say no, you cant eat that now. Its getting much easier as time goes on. The first few days were tough.

Junk food is like a drug. Its addictive and it drives people to keep consuming it.

I do plan to cut down my intake when the 6 weeks is up. Its opened my eyes to how much I actually ate.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Originally, Yes, as posted seemingly eons ago! But, seemingly unlike you, language evolves.
And it evolves so much that any word can become a malaprop, contranym or be used in a phrasal verb, but just don't expect everyone to understand what you are saying.

This is what inspired Sir Ernest Gowers to write The Complete Plain Words, so that everyone can understand what is being said.
"Ilk does not mean family or kind or set or name. Of that ilk means that proprietor and property have the same name.
Example: the Knockwinnocks of that ilk means the Knockwinnocks of Knockwinnock.
Common maltreatments are due to ignorance of the meaning of ilk, and partly facetious."

Obviously Gowers did not anticipate that ilk could be used in just about any context on forums.

Back to the original subject. Jacques Peretti and the men who made us fat.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
And it evolves so much that any word can become a malaprop, contranym or be used in a phrasal verb, but just don't expect everyone to understand what you are saying.

This is what inspired Sir Ernest Gowers to write The Complete Plain Words, so that everyone can understand what is being said.
"Ilk does not mean family or kind or set or name. Of that ilk means that proprietor and property have the same name.
Example: the Knockwinnocks of that ilk means the Knockwinnocks of Knockwinnock.
Common maltreatments are due to ignorance of the meaning of ilk, and partly facetious."

Obviously Gowers did not anticipate that ilk could be used in just about any context on forums.

Back to the original subject. Jacques Peretti and the men who made us fat.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Thanks for your 'today's utter twaddle' contribution!

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I have a 1995 OED that says that the use of "ilk" to mean family, sort or type is colloquial and should be avoided in formal English.
It gives an example of correct use as "Guthrie of that ilk" means Guthrie of Guthrie.

But our language does evolve and I suspect the colloquial use is the meaning most used and understood now.

The one I continue to have a problem accepting is "back-to-back" replacing "nose-to-tail" for consecutive occurrences, one after another (eg birdies etc)
I continue to say "nose-to-tail" and I get the response, "You mean back-to-back?"
I reply, "No."

I'm at the point of giving up on that one.

Last edited: