Breaking 100

stevenk

Hacker
Visit site
As the title dictates breaking 100 has to be the biggest target for new golfers. It took me ages wondered if I would ever get there, but thankfully I did. Just keep at it all new golfers and enjoy one of the most frustrating sports

D-S

Visit site
Can I respectfully suggest that you play off forward tees so that will enable you to regularly score below 100 and then, as you improve, move further back. This will make you enjoy the game more.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Sorry but it can't be that difficult as I was still at primary school when I managed it.
I also know many golfers who managed to break 100 in the first year of playing.
Same here. First year playing on a full-size course. I remember it well. 10 years and 7 months old, playing from the ladies tees at Barnsley municipal.
Playing with full size hickory clubs that my dad had sawn down to fit me.
Only four clubs - spoon, mashie, mashie-niblick and putter.
Shot 97. Out in 50 and back in 47. Par was 69.

Albo

Visit site
For some though it is a tough ask!
You just need to keep the ball in play and not go for hero shots, your score will come down if you take those 7s, 8s and 9s off the card.
Also work on a shot that gets you out of a bunker, even if it’s not close to the flag getting out of a bunker in 1 will also lower your scores.
Also putt rather than chip where you can and use a 8i not a lofted wedge unless you really have to go over a bunker.
Lastly spend time practicing speed control on the greens, fewer 3 putts will help

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry but it can't be that difficult as I was still at primary school when I managed it.
What a disappointingly arrogant and demeaning post. Different sports or activities come naturally to some, not to others. To those who find it difficult, should they be sneered at? All golfers should be encouraged and applauded for passing each milestone, whatever that milestone is.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have played with play with some players for decades who have never done it. So always a good achievement. When I first joined my present club the secretary would not give anybody a handicap until they could do it.

My personal target when I first started playing was not to lose golf balls* and beat my brother. The latter target was easily achieved but for him it was just another game out of many he played where as for me I became obsessed with the game - lessons and nearly daily practice which fairly quickly saw me break the 100 but it took a few years to reach the next target of regular scores better than 18 over par.

*I often think I have never reached that target some days - 3 lost last time out.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
To DfT and Voyager, you are very condescending about breaking 100 but can both remember when you did it so it must have meant something to you at that point, just as it does to the OP - who should be congratulated on his achievement and encouraged now to go and break 90.
Please point out to me exactly where I was condescending to anyone?

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I took your first 2 words to be replying to Dft saying 'It can't be that difficult". I apologise if i am incorrect.
Nope. "Same here" meant I broke 100 while still at primary school, which was same as DfT's experience.

I could hit my spoon about 140yds from the tee, if there was good roll out. Maybe 125yds from the fairway, barely 100yds if uphill.
Mashie was 80yds and mashie-niblick 50yds.

I had spent the previous two summers at Thornes Park Wakefield on the 18-hole putting green and the 18-hole pitch-and-putt.
Two years of learning to play golf, before going on a golf course.

The reason I see so many players struggling to break 100 is that they try to run before they can walk and continually fall over.

D

Deleted member 23270

Every time I tee off my aim is to break 100.....if I have a good start it lowers to 90......then 80......and if I roll in a few birdies it drops to 70 :D

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nope. "Same here" meant I broke 100 while still at primary school, which was same as DfT's experience.

I could hit my spoon about 140yds from the tee, if there was good roll out. Maybe 125yds from the fairway, barely 100yds if uphill.
Mashie was 80yds and mashie-niblick 50yds.

I had spent the previous two summers at Thornes Park Wakefield on the 18-hole putting green and the 18-hole pitch-and-putt.
Two years of learning to play golf, before going on a golf course.

The reason I see so many players struggling to break 100 is that they try to run before they can walk and continually fall over.
Was the Barnsley Muni the one off Wakefield Rd? Played there a few times when I was growing up but not for a good many years now

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What a disappointingly arrogant and demeaning post. Different sports or activities come naturally to some, not to others. To those who find it difficult, should they be sneered at? All golfers should be encouraged and applauded for passing each milestone, whatever that milestone is.
Agree. A mate of mine has been playing 4 or 5 years maybe and he still only breaks 100 less than 50% of the time I'd say. And he's a relatively consistent player, but one part of his game might be off all day and he has no answer to it.

I have played with play with some players for decades who have never done it. So always a good achievement. When I first joined my present club the secretary would not give anybody a handicap until they could do it.
I used to wonder if that's why handicaps used to be capped at 28. i.e. traditional course par of 72 + 28 = 100.

AAC

Visit site
Agree. A mate of mine has been playing 4 or 5 years maybe and he still only breaks 100 less than 50% of the time I'd say. And he's a relatively consistent player, but one part of his game might be off all day and he has no answer to it.

I used to wonder if that's why handicaps used to be capped at 28. i.e. traditional course par of 72 + 28 = 100.

28 h/c for men is relatively recent, it was 24 for a long while but if I remember correctly was 18 when I first started playing

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
28 h/c for men is relatively recent, it was 24 for a long while but if I remember correctly was 18 when I first started playing
I first played around 2000 or 2001 and the max was already 28 then and had been for a while I think. When I got back into playing and considered joining a club around 2016 I decided not to join one until I could actually play to 28 or better (i.e. break 100) as I thought it was pointless to try and play comps off 28 and only manage 25 points every week or something. Nowadays this wouldn't be part of anyone's thought process I suppose.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

if you take up golf as a junior, you will likely improve quicker, it's just a fact that kids learn new skills faster.

If you take it up as an adult, golf is a very difficult sport, you obviously don't know that as you took it up as a kid. I too started when I was young and broke 100 quite early, but I have also played with friends who have taken up the sport in their 30s, and it is an extra layers or two of difficulty.

Ian_George

Visit site
I'll happily admit that I have been playing about a year, and have not broken 100. I've come close, and I've broken 50 over 9, but I've never put two good halves of a round together.

New clubs needed I think ;)
Always THE solution! Hang in there! It'll happen! In the meantime, just consider taking more shots as 'better value for money'!