Break 100 / Par 65 - Does it Count?

DrGolfer

Visit site
As a relative newcomer back to the game I’ve read a lot about Break 100/90/80 strategies.

My main course for the last couple of months has been a Par 72 where I shoot 100-103. However the last couple of days I’ve been playing a par 65 course and on both days finished rounds with a score of 90.

Psychologically, it was great to shoot such a lower score but does it count as ‘Breaking 100’ when the course is less than a par 70?

Hope I’m making sense!

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Why not just change the rhetoric to 'beating +28' ?

Then again, you'll then need to know that 'par doesn't matter', and move on to course ratings ?

DrGolfer

Visit site

Then again, you'll then need to know that 'par doesn't matter', and move on to course ratings ?

Oh so I know the course ratings etc (using England Golf app for tracking my handicap) and my scores on the par 65 were a little bit better than my handicap pulling it down a little.

Don’t get me wrong it was a great couple of days of play by my novice amateur standard! Over dinner with my playing partner I said it doesn’t count as ‘Breaking 100’ but he said psychologically it’s nice to see a scorecard less than 100 anyway.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

I think you're on the right track here..
Technically, yes the score is below 100 but the course could be a par 48 so it doesn't necessarily mean much.
I'd be looking at the over par number or over Course Rating or something like that...
But its tricky because there's plenty of "proper" par 68/69 courses where 99 is a lot over par....

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you're on the right track here..
Technically, yes the score is below 100 but the course could be a par 48 so it doesn't necessarily mean much.
I'd be looking at the over par number or over Course Rating or something like that...
But its tricky because there's plenty of "proper" par 68/69 courses where 99 is a lot over par....
Use Course Rating as your target. Par can be very variable depending on the local committee's arbitrary allocation of hole pars.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’d be a little bit more +ve in my observation. We can all rack up 7s, 8s, 9s and more - and multiple times especially in our early days playing…and in fact these numbers often don’t align much with the par of the holes being played. You score high because you are a relative beginner. So to do a 90 means you’ve not racked up a bundle of biggies, irrespective of the par or course rating. And the simple fact of not many biggies is a thing to celebrate and take satisfaction from regardless ?

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Charnwood Forest is a par 69.
Shoot 99 there and you have played to 26.8

I would say it is up to you.
If you want to tell yourself you've broken 100, claim it. Nowt wrong with that.
If you don't want to, that's fine. Continue with having that target and wait until you feel you've really done it.

I claimed that I had broken 100 at the age of 10 on par 68 Barnsley Municipal off the ladies tees. Shot 97.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Charnwood Forest is a par 69.
Shoot 99 there and you have played to 26.8

I would say it is up to you.
If you want to tell yourself you've broken 100, claim it. Nowt wrong with that.
If you don't want to, that's fine. Continue with having that target and wait until you feel you've really done it.

I claimed that I had broken 100 at the age of 10 on par 68 Barnsley Municipal off the ladies tees. Shot 97.
Snap…my equivalent was Deaconsbank on Glasgow Southside…par 65. Where I first broke 100 when age 13 or 14. That it was a par 65 mattered not a jot as what mattered was that I had managed to keep too many ‘biggies’ off my card (I had been scoring to 6s for some time…I.e. treating every hole as a par 6 and in that way aiming to keep 7+ off my card)

Swango1980

Visit site
Ignoring the fact you have since said you have done it now anyway (well done), as to your original question, I'd say probably not. Only in that, breaking 100 was a target you had to work towards. It is your personal target, no one elses. The fact that you have to ask the question "does it count" shows you have doubt in your own mind, and therefore it doesn't.

If you had always been playing that par 65 course, shooting over 100 and hoping to one day break 100, then it would absolutely count. As that target was effectively set whilst playing at that very course.

If a player played at a tough course, like Wentworth, and set a target of breaking 100, 90, 80, 70, etc. then it would only truly be a target for that course, or another course they are happy is at least as difficult. Otherwise, they could just play a par 3 18 hole course (or any significantly shortened course), and break their target relatively easily.