Brands that come to mind

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just watching crossfield video on putters and he was saying about taylormade trying to grow their putters. He mentions they have made great putters for years but people just don't think of them as a brand who make good putters

I find the same with wedges! They make great wedges but not one that comes instant to mind

What brand pops to your mind for which club? For me it's

Putters - odsessey/ Scotty Cameroon

Wedges - vokeys / clevelands

Irons - mizuno / titleist

Hybrids - taylormade / Calloway

Woods - taylormade / cobra

Could this be down to who you see playing them?

Ironically I don't see Nike with any club.. maybe this is why they stopped making (not because of me lol) because even with the best players they still didn't have the brand dominance they expected

One further cat I would add to my list is

Game improvement - ping

Even though they make blades etc when I see ping I think game improvement

Just like with mizuno I think blades

Used to think same with titleist however I found the ap1s were a very underused game improvement iron

What do you guys think in relation clubs to brands?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Very similar to your list PJ but I put Ping in the irons section, remove Cobra from Woods and replace with Callaway.

I perceive Ping to be at the quality end, not a game improver. I've always been a bit intimidated by Ping clubs, funny how perceptions are.

I would put Cobra as the Game improver.

I'm sure brand advertising, product placement etc comes into this, whether consciously or not.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Drivers - probably Taylor Made first and foremost.
Hybrids - Adams.
Irons - Mizuno, Ping, Titleist.. nothing in particular actually. Irons are the only ones that bring lots of different names to mind.
Wedges - Cleveland, Vokey.
Putters - Odyssey, Scotty.
Ball - Titleist, Callaway, Srixon.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very similar to your list PJ but I put Ping in the irons section, remove Cobra from Woods and replace with Callaway.

I perceive Ping to be at the quality end, not a game improver. I've always been a bit intimidated by Ping clubs, funny how perceptions are.

I would put Cobra as the Game improver.

I'm sure brand advertising, product placement etc comes into this, whether consciously or not.

Think it's because ping was my first club when I took golf more serious .. was told they make helpful clubs.

Set of g15s and irons were my best clubs! So I thought if I can hit them they must be game improvement lol

----

How could I forget balls?!!! Muppet

Titleist and srixon for me

Titleist well goes without saying

Srixon - since society joining the most used ball is srixon. Bar none. Only see pro v when people have won them as prizes or the two low low handicappers are in my group

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Think it's because ping was my first club when I took golf more serious .. was told they make helpful clubs.

Set of g15s and irons were my best clubs! So I thought if I can hit them they must be game improvement lol

----

How could I forget balls?!!! Muppet

Titleist and srixon for me

Titleist well goes without saying

Srixon - since society joining the most used ball is srixon. Bar none. Only see pro v when people have won them as prizes or the two low low handicappers are in my group
Yeah Srixons are everywhere. Most range balls are Srixon now, and my most commonly found balls on the course are usually Srixon soft feels or similar. I guess Srixon provide the best value balls to most average golfers.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah Srixons are everywhere. Most range balls are Srixon now, and my most commonly found balls on the course are usually Srixon soft feels or similar. I guess Srixon provide the best value balls to most average golfers.

Your not wrong there!

I litterally don't play them because everyone in my society does so I went Wilson staff for society days and dunlop tour soft for winter / par 3 practice course

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I would put Ping in with the putters too. After all, they did create the anser putter which is what everyone else has copied.

Mizuno for irons

Taylor Made for woods and drivers

Wedges Vokey. I actually use Mizuno T7 wedges which were also voted best wedges of 2017. I wouldn't go back to Vokey in a million years but still they are the ones that spring to mind.

And balls- gotta be the famous Pink Lady :D

If I had to go one manufacturer throughout my bag though it would be Taylor Made. Their irons have come on miles along with the rest of their gear. The blade style that Rose and Rory etc are using are beautiful.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
TM have made SOME good (or even great) putters, but for a while they looked rather cheap and nasty! That rather put me off them - until the Spider (particularly he Itsy) came out.

Finding a putter to suit Sergio must have been incentive to invest heavily in putter technology!!

Odyssey is the putter arm of Callaway

There are plenty of other 'fairly mainstream' Putter only companies! Bettinardi, Seemore, Rife, Never Compromise being a few of the 'common' ones.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Woods = Titliest
Irons = Mizuno & Titliest
Wedges = Vokey
Putters = Odyssey & Scotty

Elec trolleys = Powakaddy, even though I've only ever had Motocaddy(x2)
Shoes = FJ

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your not wrong there!

I litterally don't play them because everyone in my society does so I went Wilson staff for society days and dunlop tour soft for winter / par 3 practice course
I just bought some Wilson Staff DX2s as well. Considering how cheap they are I'm surprised I've never once found one of them out on the course. (Maybe it means they're so straight people never lose them... )

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Interesting and shows the value of branding

In order:

Drivers: TM/Callaway/Ping
F/W Woods: TM/Callaway
Hybrids: TM/Callaway/Adams
Irons: Ping/Mizuno
Wedges: Vokey/Cleveland/Mizuno
Putters: Odyssey/Scotty
Ball: Titleist/Srixon/Callaway
Trolley: Motocaddy/Powakaddy
Shoes: FJ/Ecco/Adidas/Nike
Waterproofs: GG
Fashion/High-end: J.Lindeberg

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Putters - odsessey/ Scotty Cameroon

Wedges - vokeys / clevelands

Irons - mizuno / titleist

Hybrids - taylormade / Calloway

Woods - taylormade / cobra

Putters - Scotty Cameron / Ping
Wedges - vokeys / cleveland
Irons - Mizuno (absolutely love the look of Mizuno irons) / titleist
Hybrids - no idea. I own one, never looked to replace it. Mine is a Cobra
Woods - Ping / Callaway / Cobra

Looks like I've just copied you except for Ping putters.
Game improvement - I'd agree with Ping / Taylormade have made a few as well

Balls - Titleist / Taylormade

D

Deleted member 1147

The first brands that spring to mind for each club are:

Drivers - TM & Cally
FW Woods - TM & Titleist
Irons - Titleist & Mizzy
Wedges - Vokey & Cleveland
Putters - Scotty, Odyssey & Ping

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting thread, i'll try and do it the other way round:

Taylormade - Drivers
Callaway - generically ok at everything
Ping/Titleist - irons for better players/low handicappers
Mizuno - irons for the connoisseur
Cleveland/Vokey - wedges
Odyssey/Scotty Cameron - putters
Dunlop - cheap balls and clubs for hackers (i still use a few :D)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Funny peoples different views on clubs

Ping I've always seen as game improvement

Not much mention of Wilson staff! They used to be huge

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Shoes ill add mine, Footjoy.. prob because its the number 1 shoe in golf.

even though I own a grand total of 1 pair of footjoys... 2 callaways, 3 nike

gloves... personally footjoy again even tho mine are wilson staff

trolleys motocaddy

I like how people seem very similar in their answers (to a degree) shows the marketing must be working.. not one mention of nike on anyones list either..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shoes ill add mine, Footjoy.. prob because its the number 1 shoe in golf.

even though I own a grand total of 1 pair of footjoys... 2 callaways, 3 nike

gloves... personally footjoy again even tho mine are wilson staff

trolleys motocaddy

I like how people seem very similar in their answers (to a degree) shows the marketing must be working.. not one mention of nike on anyones list either..
I associate Nike more with clothing. Like the almost collarless ones they have Fleetwood, Rory, Koepka etc wearing. Never paid much attention to their clubs. I tried out the Covert 2.0 driver when I got my current Taylor Made one and it wasn't a patch on the TM. Occasionally out on the course I find a Nike ball and then wonder if it's any good since I have no idea how their balls compare to others really.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I associate Nike more with clothing. Like the almost collarless ones they have Fleetwood, Rory, Koepka etc wearing. Never paid much attention to their clubs. I tried out the Covert 2.0 driver when I got my current Taylor Made one and it wasn't a patch on the TM. Occasionally out on the course I find a Nike ball and then wonder if it's any good since I have no idea how their balls compare to others really.

I have played Nike balls once was alright

Never owned or been tempted with any Nike clubs tho! Which surely during tigers peak and Rory in recent years you think would draw me to the clubs

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Drivers - Wood Bros, MacGregor
Hybrids - What are they?
Irons - MacGregor, Ben Hogan, Wilson, Dunlop, John Letters
Wedges - As irons
Putters - Wilson
Ball - Balata