Borrowing a club from fellow competitor ;whats the penalty ?

sjn

Visit site
In a recent singles medal competition , a competitor , (player A) , was seen lending one of his clubs to his playing partner (player B) who used it to chip the ball away from a tree .
Player B should definitely receive a penalty for this , but is player A subject to any penalty ?

(player B who is right handed played the chip left handed, so speculation is that he borrowed a club suitable for that )

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
In this situation, the general penalty (two strokes) is applied on that hole to player B only. Player B must take that club out of play before making another stroke.
Rule 4.1b(2).
No penalty to player A.

Reactions: sjn

sjn

Visit site
In this situation, the general penalty (two strokes) is applied on that hole to player B only. Player B must take that club out of play before making another stroke.
Rule 4.1b(2).
No penalty to player A.
Thanks . I should have made it clear that Player B returned the club to Player A after playing the shot ; Can Player A subsequently use that club during his round ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In a recent singles medal competition , a competitor , (player A) , was seen lending one of his clubs to his playing partner (player B) who used it to chip the ball away from a tree .
Player B should definitely receive a penalty for this , but is player A subject to any penalty ?

(player B who is right handed played the chip left handed, so speculation is that he borrowed a club suitable for that )
How may clubs did each player have originally?

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is this just a myth...?

I was once told
Player B could use Player A club without penalty
Providing he didn't exceed 14 clubs including that one
But
Then Player A, couldn't use the club again
(His own club)

This has never occurred all the time I've played golf, but the above was what I was told to be true?

D-S

Visit site
Rule 4.1 B (2) No Sharing of Clubs. A player is limited to those clubs they started with or added as allowed in (1):
  • The player must not make a stroke with a club being used by anyone else who is playing on the course(even if the other player is playing in a different group or competition).
  • When the player becomes aware that they have breached this Rule by making a stroke with another player’s club, the player must take that club out of play before making another stroke using the procedure in Rule 4.1c(1).

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is this just a myth...?

I was once told
Player B could use Player A club without penalty
Providing he didn't exceed 14 clubs including that one
But
Then Player A, couldn't use the club again
(His own club)

This has never occurred all the time I've played golf, but the above was what I was told to be true?
I've heard exactly the same. Have we been victims of another golfing urban myth? 🤔

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I believe playing partners (as opposed to fellow competitor) may share clubs provided they do not exceed 14 clubs between them :unsure:
It might help others to that out since playing partner is still around in casual golfing language to refer to other folk in your group in a stroke play competition.

You do not have a partner of any kind in any singles format and so there is no question of club sharing.
In formats such as four ball and foursomes you do have a partner and so you and your partner could share clubs provided, as said, they don't carry more than 14 between them.

I've never thought of it before but I suppose all four the partners making up a side in a scramble could share the one set of 14 clubs. Not all that impractical since they all play from the same space but a bizarre thought..

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
It might help others to that clarify that.a bit since playing partner is still around in casual golfing language to refer to other folk in your group in a stroke play competition ( who used to be fellow competitors but are now other players. )

You do not have a partner of any kind in any singles format and so there is no question of club sharing.
In formats such as four ball and foursomes you do have a partner and so you and your partner could share clubs provided, as said, you don't carry more than 14 between you.

I've never thought of it before but I suppose all four partners making up a side in a scramble could share the one set of 14 clubs. Not all that impractical since they all play from the same space but a bizarre thought..

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site

I don't know what your club is like, but at my club here in America, the word "rules" is a synonym for "suggestions."