Boris the PM - a new beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Pleased to see the Leave campaign team essentially become Boris' cabinet.

It'll either work out or it won't. At least within 100 days this'll all be resolved and we can move on!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Raab and Patel in some of the key positions. God help us, the lunatics have taken over the asylum. And to think tories get all upset about Dianne Abbot and her dodgy maths, at least she can't do any damage.

OMG he has just appointed a Scottish secretary who wants to abolish the Scottish Parliament. :love: [and does not seem to like paying taxes]
This is brilliant, Esther McVey next up followed by Jim Davidson as equities secretary.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Wow! That's really loading the dice in favour of Remain. How about saying that Remain needs to score a minimum of 60%? Bet you won't like that. A simple majority is the only fair way to decide.

OK - I said I didn't know - so 60% of the total electorate and a 15% margin. My point was simply that for the decision to be changed and for us to Remain would require an almost incontestable result that indicates that preference. There would be no point of Remain winning by a straight majority on a turnout of - let's say - less than 75% - so in fact I am recognising that it would have to be loaded against Remain.

D

Deleted member 1740

OMG he has just appointed a Scottish secretary who wants to abolish the Scottish Parliament. :love: [and does not seem to like paying taxes]
This is brilliant, Esther McVey next up followed by Jim Davidson as equities secretary.

Even the most die hard Tory must be concerned that McVey has been given a top job after failing miserably in her previous job.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
OK - I said I didn't know - so 60% of the total electorate and a 15% margin. My point was simply that for the decision to be changed and for us to Remain would require an almost incontestable result that indicates that preference. There would be no point of Remain winning by a straight majority on a turnout of - let's say - less than 75% - so in fact I am recognising that it would have to be loaded against Remain.

If remain won, that makes it 1-1 so do we then go to a third vote or will you insist that result over rides the first as that’s what you want?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Do you believe all the MPs that say they want to deliver Brexit? Like the Labour MPs who stood in the last election with a manifesto pledge of delivering Brexit but now want a 2nd referendum and will campaign to remain. To me that doesn't sound much like wanting to deliver Brexit.

You come across as yet another remainer that thinks that their views are more important than those of leave voters. If there is another referendum and remain wins then you disenfranchise the 52 percent that originally voted leave. But I suspect you don't care as long as you get the result you want. If remain were to win the 2nd referendum would you then support a 3rd referendum as each side would have won one each? Or would that be the end of it as we got the right result?

Our negotiators were poor and weak from the beginning, and I suspect that came from May. As soon as the EU said that we couldn't discuss a future relationship until the WA was agreed we should have walked away. If a future relationship had been agreed then there would have been no need for the Irish backstop and the WA would probably have been voted through.

Fortunately I don't have to have a solution, but with where we find ourselves now to me the only option is to tell the EU that unless they are willing to renegotiate then we will be leaving on 31st October and going on to WTO rules. We would then see if the EU were willing to throw the Irish economy under a bus or not.

So you don't have a solution? And this is your baby! There in lies the problem.

Unfortunately this is your mess. You voted for this on the basis of a bit of national pride and a few slogans, i.e. without a sketch of a plan. The things that have happened, Cameron resigning, May becoming PM, invoking A50, making a stupid decision for another election, losing her power and authority, doing a deal that she couldn't get through the Commons and ultimately having 3 years of complete stagnation - they are all a result of people voting for something without all the information.

Now there is no workable solution, you are content to crash the economy.

I'm not saying we should have another referendum simply because I didn't like the result of the 1st, but in reality it is the only way to break the impasse. I was also fairly late to this way of thinking as it became clearer that there is no workable solution in London. And the problem with another election is that people like Boris and probably Corbyn, would spend 4 weeks spinning us all

The 2nd referendum would have a much better advantage over the 1st - that the leavers would have a realistic and deliverable plan of what Brexit looks like. My feeling is that the reality of that would not be as palatable to as many when it was a bit of a blank cheque.

I'm not denying that many, clearly yourself included, would still vote to leave and for you it's clearly more ideological rather than practical. But given the narrow victory in 2016, it is fairly conceivable that by the time you throw a bit of detail in to what Leave actually looks like, that narrow majority crumbles.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

And this is a bad thing because????? Do you see the English constantly moaning because they don't have a Parliament of their own? Or even that other countries have a say in whatever they want to do? Well, yes, I moan about this and this is maybe another reason that the English want to get away from others interfering with their decision making.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's about time the whole lot (Uk) was split up. Then the other countries can shut the heck up and go and join up with Europe and we can stay separate and make our own laws and decisions.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The things that have happened, Cameron resigning, May becoming PM, invoking A50, making a stupid decision for another election, losing her power and authority, doing a deal that she couldn't get through the Commons and ultimately having 3 years of complete stagnation - they are all a result of people voting for something without all the information.

These are all down to the politicians who are either incompetent or not willing to implement the mandate they were given. Nothing to do with the information they were given.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And this is a bad thing because????? Do you see the English constantly moaning because they don't have a Parliament of their own? Or even that other countries have a say in whatever they want to do? Well, yes, I moan about this and this is maybe another reason that the English want to get away from others interfering with their decision making.

'The English have their own Parliament it is called Westminster'.
..and before you jump your high horse those are the words of the new Prime Minister not me.:eek:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well what a front line Cabinet. BJ could hardly have gathered together a group of individuals almost guaranteed to make the divisions in the country worse - certainly little in the way of compromising with that crew. Frankly rather mind-boggling. But if you are a committed Leaver then you will be delighted - because it seems that absolutely nothing else matters - no matter what - do or die, and no matter what damage to the country might result, we leave the EU on 31/10. And we will because JR-M says we will - and as he also said - there is no Plan B.

Meanwhile the hand of Dom Cumm there for all to see - playing the part of Steve Bannon to BJs Trump - scheming and planning to lay the blame for No Deal departure at the door of everyone but those responsible for us Leaving and have actually driven the negotiations with the EU to where a ND is now almost inevitable. And building that whole narrative into HIS preparing BJ for the General Election coming our way pretty soon I think.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If remain won, that makes it 1-1 so do we then go to a third vote or will you insist that result over rides the first as that’s what you want?

That is why it would be essential for the outcome of any such referendum to be heavily weighted against remain.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It's about time the whole lot (Uk) was split up. Then the other countries can shut the heck up and go and join up with Europe and we can stay separate and make our own laws and decisions.

English Votes for English Laws - or have you forgotten about that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_votes_for_English_laws

That being one reason why in practice there can never be a future UK Prime Minister being an MP for a Scottish seat. So that's what meant by having Westminster government governing for all of the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.