Boris the PM - a new beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
John P Mackintosh (Labour MP and Professor of Politics at Strathclyde University) wrote in 1975.

Now that Britain is less successful economically, is no longer a world power and has abandoned it's colonial empire, the Scottish side of dual nationality has become more prominent and with Scottish membership of Europe as part of UK membership, it is possible that in addition to the dual nationality they will develop a European conscience which may take the place of the British element in Scottish thinking. In this sense the Scots may come to look to Brussels more than to London for those aspects of policy that are outside the control of Scotland. For this reason, it is important that the Scots are about to obtain a separate Scottish Parliament and Executive which will deal with all those aspects of internal policy that are purely Scottish. All that be left to London will be overall economic policy, defence policy and foreign policy. If these matters are increasingly dealt with from Brussels then the British aspect of the dual nationality may well be replaced by a European aspects and this will receive institutional recognition after there are direct elections of Scottish members to the European Parliament and some separate representation of Scotland in the European Commission in Brussels.

Mackintosh was a strong supporter of devolution (not independence) and was looking forward - he hoped - into the not too distant future - indeed he was hopeful that some things he wrote of would happen by late-1977 - such was the political environment of mid-1970s Scotland.

And so it is coming to pass.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
With his very first act as PM - in forming his cabinet and adviser team - BJ rams a great bluddy wedge into the angry and festering division splitting the country. And I will not be surprised if, as the days and weeks go by, he will hammer that wedge more firmly into the divide - with Dom Comm standing at his side encouraging him and telling him how well he is doing.

By your acts will you be judged.

Isn't this exactly what you and others have been wanting for several months? You've complained about leavers not stepping up to the plate and taking responsibility. And now that it has happened you still aren't happy.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Robert Peston is confident we will see a GE by September. That makes sense for Boris, his majority of 2 is nowehere near enough and he can't get through what he wants as it stands. He is also a far better campaigner than TM, frankly not tricky, and so it is probably a gamble worth taking.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Isn't this exactly what you and others have been wanting for several months? You've complained about leavers not stepping up to the plate and taking responsibility. And now that it has happened you still aren't happy.

Oh I am happy enough in the context of them taking responsibility - but they won't. With BJ now telling us that there can be no backstop whatsoever in any deal replacing the current one - we seem to have BeeJay and the Kamikaze Krew directing the UK towards a No Deal exit - an exit that they know will be difficult, problematic and damaging to the UK but that they will then blame on the EU; on Remoaners; gloomsters, doomsters and all other opponents of No Deal.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've never heard of any English laws being passed.

Oh dear.o_O
And so we have Dominic Cummings - an unelected bureaucrat - the surrogate, if not the de facto, Prime Minister of the UK - Joys.
Remember this is the man who admitted fooling Leave voters with two big lies. The Bus and Turkey.
'I told them what they wanted to hear and they believed it' he said of the Brexiteers.
Who, to put it kindly, were not all of an enquiring mind.;)

Johnson does not even know the name of the leading political party in Scotland.
He is awful at PMQ.
What an embarrassment to the UK

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
John P Mackintosh (Labour MP and Professor of Politics at Strathclyde University) wrote in 1975.

Now that Britain is less successful economically, is no longer a world power and has abandoned it's colonial empire, the Scottish side of dual nationality has become more prominent and with Scottish membership of Europe as part of UK membership, it is possible that in addition to the dual nationality they will develop a European conscience which may take the place of the British element in Scottish thinking. In this sense the Scots may come to look to Brussels more than to London for those aspects of policy that are outside the control of Scotland. For this reason, it is important that the Scots are about to obtain a separate Scottish Parliament and Executive which will deal with all those aspects of internal policy that are purely Scottish. All that be left to London will be overall economic policy, defence policy and foreign policy. If these matters are increasingly dealt with from Brussels then the British aspect of the dual nationality may well be replaced by a European aspects and this will receive institutional recognition after there are direct elections of Scottish members to the European Parliament and some separate representation of Scotland in the European Commission in Brussels.

Mackintosh was a strong supporter of devolution (not independence) and was looking forward - he hoped - into the not too distant future - indeed he was hopeful that some things he wrote of would happen by late-1977 - such was the political environment of mid-1970s Scotland.

I cast my first political vote for J P Mac.
Good guy.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Robert Peston is confident we will see a GE by September. That makes sense for Boris, his majority of 2 is nowehere near enough and he can't get through what he wants as it stands. He is also a far better campaigner than TM, frankly not tricky, and so it is probably a gamble worth taking.

Hell nooooooooooooooooooo

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
BTW My non swearing Mrs is still walking around shaking her head and saying 'Boris '#'#'#' Johnson' every few hours.:love:

Here's hoping Mrs DfT is reserving some of her angst for Brussels new El Presidente... Another with a long trail of failure behind her and got the job from an even more miniscule percentage of the electorate than Boris...

Hey ho onwards and downwards...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I cast my first political vote for J P Mac.
Good guy.

That from a collection of papers (ed. H Drucker) that he wrote - remarkably prescient thinking from 1975, because back then as a teenager just about to head off to Starthclyde Uni from school - I was frankly pretty ignorant of such thinking about the way things might develop for Scotland (though I was a great fan of Winnie and Margo) - and indeed how I might come to think some 25yrs into the future - and so it came to pass - and I do.

Also apparently - Wee Ruthie is spitting tacks (not tax) at the sacking of Mr Quite Ordinary Tory - Davie Mundell as Scottish Secretary to be replaced by a Tory Scottish Toff - Alister Jack (only a certain background of Scot has a first name spelled Alister). And why? Because, it appears, Mundell was a vocal supporter of Hunt - so that overrides the views of the leader of the Scottish Conservatives and her expression of trust and closeness to Mundell.

Talk of a break by the Scottish Conservatives...?

Last edited:

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site

So in his response to the new PM the leader of the SNP was worried that the Barnet formula might be up for a rethink. At the same time as telling the rest of UK to let Scotland join the EU as an independent state.

Corbyn has now fully reversed and declared he would fight a GE on a Remain ticket.

Swinson has declared to defy the collective will and law of the UK and prevent the UK enacting its own decision to leave.

So we have a Parliament full of MPs who campaigned and voted for a Referendum that they had declared they would honour. Those same MPs voted to pass article 50 and put into law that the UK would leave the EU.

However you choose to take a shot at the new PM for trying to enact the democratic process/decisions !

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That from a collection of papers (ed. H Drucker) that he wrote - remarkably prescient thinking from 1975, because back then as a teenager just about to head off to Starthclyde Uni from school - I was frankly pretty ignorant of such thinking about the way things might develop for Scotland (though I was a great fan of Winnie and Margo) - and indeed how I might come to think some 25yrs into the future - and so it came to pass - and I do.

Also apparently - Wee Ruthie is spitting tacks (not tax) at the sacking of Mr Quite Ordinary Tory - Davie Mundell as Scottish Secretary to be replaced by a Tory Scottish Toff - Alister Jack (only a certain background of Scot has a first name spelled Alister). And why? Because, it appears, Mundell was a vocal supporter of Hunt - so that overrides the views of the leader of the Scottish Conservatives and her expression of trust and closeness to Mundell.

Talk of a break by the Scottish Conservatives...?

Viceroy Muddell was truly dreadful but it was going to be a guarantee that whoever replaced him would be worse.
Muddell increased the Scottish Office staffing by about 400%, nobody has a clue as to what work they actually do.

https://newsnet.scot/news-analysis/scotland-office-propaganda-staff-budget-soars-tories/

Last edited:

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Viceroy Muddell was truly dreadful but it was going to be a guarantee that whoever replaced him would be worse.
Muddell increased the Scottish Office staffing from about 7 to about 30, nobody has a clue as to what work they actually do.

https://newsnet.scot/news-analysis/scotland-office-propaganda-staff-budget-soars-tories/

So only Scots have the intellect to run Scotland yet you want your nation run by Brussels - or is it just you want their Euros rather the historic support of the British taxpayer

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So only Scots have the intellect to run Scotland yet you want your nation run by Brussels - or is it just you want their Euros rather the historic support of the British taxpayer
He wants to break away from the single market and customs union that supplies most of his countries trade. Wait a minute!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

How did you draw that conclusion from my post :unsure: Viceroy Muddle and the new guy are both Scots.
But to answer your question, I want Scotland to be like any small successful modern European country such as Norway/Denmark/Ireland etc etc.
More like Historic non support from the UK taxpayer who, believe it or not, include the Scots who pay more than the UK average in Tax.

Johnson saying there will be no checks on the Irish border.
I am getting used to 'Johnson speak' now so I assume the checks will now be 2 miles short of the border:love:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So in his response to the new PM the leader of the SNP was worried that the Barnet formula might be up for a rethink. At the same time as telling the rest of UK to let Scotland join the EU as an independent state.

Corbyn has now fully reversed and declared he would fight a GE on a Remain ticket.

Swinson has declared to defy the collective will and law of the UK and prevent the UK enacting its own decision to leave.

So we have a Parliament full of MPs who campaigned and voted for a Referendum that they had declared they would honour. Those same MPs voted to pass article 50 and put into law that the UK would leave the EU.

However you choose to take a shot at the new PM for trying to enact the democratic process/decisions !

This has been said so many times before it is strange that it has gone unnoticed by some - however - I think that we can assume that very few actually voted for a No Deal exit - it wasn't on the voting slip, and wasn't presented as an option in the lead up to the vote. Though as we don't know that for 100% sure maybe we should just check with the electorate - ah - maybe that's what you mean about being undemocratic.

Anyway what I posted, that you replied to, was a view from 1975 of where Scotland's future might lie - a view that has already pasrtly come about - witj the rest in process.

Status
Not open for further replies.