Boris the PM - a new beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But to answer your question, I want Scotland to be like any small successful modern European country such as Norway/Denmark/Ireland etc etc.

Once again you bring up those 3 countries as examples of how successful Scotland could be as an independent country. And each time I've responded the same way and you choose to ignore it. Your examples are two of the highest taxed countries in Europe where a beer will cost you £10 a pint and Ireland who have until recently received millions each year from the EU. I bet not many of your fellow Scots would be happy paying 10 quid for a pint of Tennants in their local pub.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
This has been said so many times before it is strange that it has gone unnoticed by some - however - I think that we can assume that very few actually voted for a No Deal exit - it wasn't on the voting slip, and wasn't presented as an option in the lead up to the vote. Though as we don't know that for 100% sure maybe we should just check with the electorate - ah - maybe that's what you mean about being undemocratic.

Anyway what I posted, that you replied to, was a view from 1975 of where Scotland's future might lie - a view that has already pasrtly come about - witj the rest in process.

Do we really have to keep repeating the "it wasn't on the voting paper" crap? How many Leavers have you heard say that? Cameron et all made it very clear a vote to Leave was a vote to leave the single market and the customs union.

As for what some Scottish Labour MP from 1975 had to say, who gives a flying fig? BTW, if it was some English MP from 1975 I'd be saying the same thing. It has very little relevance to today's issues.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Fantastic speech by the dear leader today:D... I loved the energy and the way he put Corbyn and the Scot nazis in their place!
LT said earlier that he thought he would call a GE, I agree, I can see him making a big deal of Corbyn being against leaving and Labour frustrating Brexit, and preventing him from getting the thing done. Labour betraying the will of the people etc.
Boris will portray himself as the guardian of democracy and calling a GE as a hard brexiteer should mop up all the Brexit party and UKIP party votes, be interesting to see what the Brexiteers in the North will do. Vote for Despicable hypocrite Corbyn or Despicable Conservatives? FWIW I predict Boris will have a majority of about 40 by the time we leave.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Fantastic speech by the dear leader today:D... I loved the energy and the way he put Corbyn and the Scot nazis in their place!
LT said earlier that he thought he would call a GE, I agree, I can see him making a big deal of Corbyn being against leaving and Labour frustrating Brexit, and preventing him from getting the thing done. Labour betraying the will of the people etc.
Boris will portray himself as the guardian of democracy and calling a GE as a hard brexiteer should mop up all the Brexit party and UKIP party votes, be interesting to see what the Brexiteers in the North will do. Vote for Despicable hypocrite Corbyn or Despicable Conservatives? FWIW I predict Boris will have a majority of about 40 by the time we leave.

Sounds good but what do you think the turn out will be? After the last 2.5 years I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the electorate stayed at home.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Sounds good but what do you think the turn out will be? After the last 2.5 years I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the electorate stayed at home.

I think very high. Lets face it its going to be the 2nd referendum millions have been clamoring for.

Boris wins, we leave. Corbyn wins we stay in. I can see it being the highest turnout for a GE ever.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site

Unless he cancels HS2 pronto and/or does some metaphorical laying down in front of some bulldozers... I can see Boris struggling to keep his own seat...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unless he cancels HS2 pronto and/or does some metaphorical laying down in front of some bulldozers... I can see Boris struggling to keep his own seat...
He isn't a fan of HS2. Cancelling it would free up a lot of money for his other projects. It would also endear him to many conservative voters in the path of the line who have been very upset by it. I can see that being announced within the first 4-6 weeks of being in office. Maybe even an election pledge if my earlier prediction comes about.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
He isn't a fan of HS2. Cancelling it would free up a lot of money for his other projects. It would also endear him to many conservative voters in the path of the line who have been very upset by it. I can see that being announced within the first 4-6 weeks of being in office. Maybe even an election pledge if my earlier prediction comes about.

HS2 works are probably the current biggest gripe in his constituency... Add that to his complete failure to be in the house when the third runway was being debated places Boris in a bit of a tight position locally...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
HS2 works are probably the current biggest gripe in his constituency... Add that to his complete failure to be in the house when the third runway was being debated places Boris in a bit of a tight position locally...
The third runway dodge was as embarrassing as John Major 'being at the dentist' for Maggie's last stand.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
He did put on a very good speech. Not the bumbling buffoon we have been promised.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Once again you bring up those 3 countries as examples of how successful Scotland could be as an independent country. And each time I've responded the same way and you choose to ignore it. Your examples are two of the highest taxed countries in Europe where a beer will cost you £10 a pint and Ireland who have until recently received millions each year from the EU. I bet not many of your fellow Scots would be happy paying 10 quid for a pint of Tennants in their local pub.

You think the quality of a country should be judged on the price of a pint...…….priceless.
How about, health care, public transport, pensions, care for the elderly, child care, housing, education, crime etc.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Do we really have to keep repeating the "it wasn't on the voting paper" crap? How many Leavers have you heard say that? Cameron et all made it very clear a vote to Leave was a vote to leave the single market and the customs union.

As for what some Scottish Labour MP from 1975 had to say, who gives a flying fig? BTW, if it was some English MP from 1975 I'd be saying the same thing. It has very little relevance to today's issues.

And how many times did we hear lead Leavers tell us that all that Cameron was saying about that was all Project Fear and not to be believed, and that the UK would be able to negotiate a great deal as the German car manufacturers and French wine producers would demand that - and that has not happened.

The fact about a No Deal departure is that we have absolutely no idea whether or not that is acceptable to the electorate (nor did the referendum vote give us any inkling of that) - and as we are continually told - opinion polls are just not good enough. It's the vote of the electorate that matters.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You think the quality of a country should be judged on the price of a pint...…….priceless.
How about, health care, public transport, pensions, care for the elderly, child care, housing, education, crime etc.

So still ignoring the main points of my post about being two of the highest taxed countries in Europe and the third that received millions from the EU then?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Love these debates. I have them on a daily basis at work, albeit a tad one sided as we are all Leavers LOL.

I'll just ask one question that was never answered in all the debates on national TV.

If we remain, just what would be the benefits?

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Love these debates. I have them on a daily basis at work, albeit a tad one sided as we are all Leavers LOL.

I'll just ask one question that was never answered in all the debates on national TV.

If we remain, just what would be the benefits?
Oof earlier you were telling us how you listened to both sides during the ref campaign and came to a decision to vote leave, but actually you've no real idea and were always going to vote leave.
Nice .

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No.
Why have you, once again, not read what I posted. :unsure:
Would you like to post up Norway's oil wealth fund as an example of a clever way of doing things.

I read exactly what you posted and like always you failed to respond with any comment about high taxes. Norway's oil wealth fund was and is a brilliant idea. However I think you might be a bit late to the party with that one unless you are going to invent a time machine and go back to the 70's to get the UK to start one.

Status
Not open for further replies.