Boris the PM - a new beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
[QUOTE="Captainron, post: 2137183, member: 12688"]BoJo is doing a bang up job. (y)

And how the hell is Corbyn still leader of Labour after such a long time?[/QUOTE]

Jury's out to me. Yes he has mostly dropped the populist schtick for the time being (although the 12 week thing was a bit stupid) and is increasingly using experts to get his message across. However you could argue that is because he has such little trust from the general public due to his past behavior, which is not great look for a PM. Also the fact he has filled his cabinet with mostly populist Brexiteers instead of minsters with gravitas and expertise could well come back to bite him in a national crisis. I am sure the current cabinet could have got Brexit done, not totally convinced about this challenge.

The Cummings stuff in the Times today could be a complete made up story or a worrying indication of who Boris was/is listening to. It's not the time for freaks and weirdos. Plus I know it is a lot easier in hindsite, but I can't help thinking he has been a bit slow to impose and a bit too trusting of societies ability to listen to advice with the outcome being at times confusion. I think his actions (or lack of) over the next few days will be critical.

As for Labour then they are fading into insignificance at the moment, and unfortunately this is just continuing the trend of the last few years.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Jury's out to me. Yes he has mostly dropped the populist schtick for the time being (although the 12 week thing was a bit stupid) and is increasingly using experts to get his message across. However you could argue that is because he has such little trust from the general public due to his past behavior, which is not great look for a PM. Also the fact he has filled his cabinet with mostly populist Brexiteers instead of minsters with gravitas and expertise could well come back to bite him in a national crisis. I am sure the current cabinet could have got Brexit done, not totally convinced about this challenge.

The Cummings stuff in the Times today could be a complete made up story or a worrying indication of who Boris was/is listening to. It's not the time for freaks and weirdos. Plus I know it is a lot easier in hindsite, but I can't help thinking he has been a bit slow to impose and a bit too trusting of societies ability to listen to advice with the outcome being at times confusion. I think his actions (or lack of) over the next few days will be critical.

As for Labour then they are fading into insignificance at the moment, and unfortunately this is just continuing the trend of the last few years.
For me he’s doing a little too much following opinion and outcry on measures, rather than leading with the measures. He still has my support.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hope to god we are not an experiment in what happens when the least trustworthy PM in living memory gets in power during a national crisis. Please society listen to him.

I'm hoping he's trying not to come across as the hated dictator who will banish people to their houses, instead taking a softly softly more reasonable approach to coax people off the street.
It's not working though from what I've seen so I'm expecting much a tougher stance over the next week.
Out of interest, is Ireland locked down? I haven't seen it mentioned in the news.

D

Deleted member 16999

I believe he’s in a no win situation, he’s doing his best, he’s listening to experts, he’s had his Chancellor has step up massively, but he’ll be judged in this and possibly, UK wise, him alone.

Hopefully he can keep impressing us and keep making the hard decisions when he has to.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Strange times indeed. I've recently been finding myself agreeing with SiLH, Nicola Sturgeon and Sadiq Khan. Shoot me now. :)

:love:
Nicola is doing a great job, her direct connect with the Scottish public is superb.
Boris is struggling with his presentation, as Hogan says he is trying to be Mr Nice Guy and not coming out as forceful as he should in a national emergency.....his team are also very impressive.
Interesting to see mainly three women fronting Scotland and three men fronting England.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nicola is doing a great job, her direct connect with the Scottish public is superb.
Boris is struggling with his presentation, as Hogan says he is trying to be Mr Nice Guy and not coming out as forceful as he should in a national emergency.....his team are also very impressive.
Interesting to see mainly three women fronting Scotland and three men fronting England.

Oh bloody hell, now I find myself agreeing with Doon. The end of the world is nigh. :eek:

D

Deleted member 16999

It’s only interesting if you believe women are somehow less than men or you’re looking to make a point when one doesn’t exist.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site

The PM has given more time to his experts at the daily briefings than he's taken. He has allowed the expertise/science at hand to guide the process while allowing 'adults' the chance to behave responsibly. You know that if draconian measures had been brought in the PM would have been accused of being an over acting buffoon.

Sitting at home without all the facts you it is easy to carp on - I'm sure you could have done better.

You criticise the PM's personality and then making sexist comparisons - is just juvenile: IMO

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I really really wish that Cummings was off the scene for the time being. Seeing him in the briefing on Friday made my heart sink a little.

Johnson has all the experts in all fields he needs to make the critical decisions. I am honestly not sure what Cummings role is or what he can add - but his being in the room just threatens to nibble away at my belief and trust in what Johnson is telling us - a belief and trust that I want to maintain as I must believe and trust in him. And that is not so obvious a position for me to come to. But I got there quite quickly - and I want to stay there.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I’m not sure he comes across as partiularly competant in his press converences, lots of “ums” and “er’s” I get the impression he just wings it.

Rishi came across a bit better , not sure any of rest of his cabinet have much credibility, though Raab might be able to pull it off a bit better and appears a bit more proffesional

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No, just an observation.
If pushed I would say that the SNP do seem to have more confident talented female politicians than male.
The SFM seems to be making decisions for Scotland in advance of the PM making them for the UK. Sturgeon announced this morning that all non-essential shops should close. I suspect the bill going the the Sccottish Parliament will give her the power to forcibly close all shops that don't comply.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The PM has given more time to his experts at the daily briefings than he's taken. He has allowed the expertise/science at hand to guide the process while allowing 'adults' the chance to behave responsibly. You know that if draconian measures had been brought in the PM would have been accused of being an over acting buffoon.

Sitting at home without all the facts you it is easy to carp on - I'm sure you could have done better.

You criticise the PM's personality and then making sexist comparisons - is just juvenile: IMO

As the adults do not seem to be behaving in a responsible manner then he is clearly not getting his message across.
I for one think he seems to be 2 days behind what he should really be doing...…..but that is of course just my opinion which, I believe I am allowed to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.