Boris the PM - a new beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am in two minds about that, because just being elected an MP doesn’t necessarily qualify anyone to be on the cabinet either.
This is where in principle (and if the current guy wouldn’t abuse it) like the US system. The president nominated someone qualified who then is ratified by elected people.
Very few ministers are actually qualified to do their job, they learn on the job on the whole. The point about being elected is that we, the public, get the chance to remove them. That is pretty important imo.

Don't forget they will not be quizzed in the House by MPs, they are not allowed in the HoC. That makes them even less open to scrutiny. Have them as advisers, not as top dog.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes, hence the 2 minds.

Saying that, some people are clearly not qualified but because of party politics they get save seats and ministerial positions, there is no way for you to get them out.

In that Germany is even worse because of the list system party favourites are guaranteed a seat as candidates are not relying on a constituency at all.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very few ministers are actually qualified to do their job, they learn on the job on the whole. The point about being elected is that we, the public, get the chance to remove them. That is pretty important imo.

Don't forget they will not be quizzed in the House by MPs, they are not allowed in the HoC. That makes them even less open to scrutiny. Have them as advisers, not as top dog.

Any/all ministers in senior posts are subject to scrutiny in the House of Commons. Most of the proper/real questioning and scrutiny is done by the various Select committees rather than the pantomime stuff you see on the floor of the chamber, and you don't have to be an MP to have to attend select committees for questioning.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Do we though? If Boris had lost his seat they would have just put him up in a Tory strong hold as a candidate and held a bi election so what power do we have?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ok fair enough it is up.to the individual , have you tried to opt out ? I Did many years ago when we signed up and was told in no uncertain terms that I would lose my job. So yay to the opt out.
I have worked all over Europe, and thanks to being the son of an immigrant it will thankfully still be easy.
No, as a Company Director I didnt get that choice, I just worked whatever it needed to keep my Employees in a good job and well motivated. I didnt need government rules to understand how to get the best from my people and thats the same with most employers in my experience, they're not all Sports Direct or Amazon. However I see no problems with workers having certain safeguards that protect them against exploitation, I think the UK is quite capable of doing this all by its self though.

You may also be surprised that my wife is half and my children are quarter Polish.

Last edited:

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Most of the proper/real questioning and scrutiny is done by the various Select committees rather than the pantomime stuff you see on the floor of the chamber
Woukd parliament and/or government get more done if PMQ wouldn’t be on TV? Proper work instead of sound bite politics?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any/all ministers in senior posts are subject to scrutiny in the House of Commons. Most of the proper/real questioning and scrutiny is done by the various Select committees rather than the pantomime stuff you see on the floor of the chamber, and you don't have to be an MP to have to attend select committees for questioning.
That's a very fair point. It just doesn't sit right for me though.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do we though? If Boris had lost his seat they would have just put him up in a Tory strong hold as a candidate and held a bi election so what power do we have?
Ultimately he would have been elected somewhere though. I doubt he would have got three attempts so he would have to win at the first, second, attempt.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Woukd parliament and/or government get more done if PMQ wouldn’t be on TV? Proper work instead of sound bite politics?

Almost no real work is done in the chamber IMO, it's either the full on punch and judy nonsense you see on TV or a chamber with 10 MP's talking about something relatively unimportant or worse, talking about something really important and no-one's there....

The votes are obviously required but very little else in the chamber is of any consequence.

In addition, as select committees are cross party, that is where politicians of different parties actually work together to get stuff done, scrutinise legislation in detail, well thought amendments are created etc.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ultimately he would have been elected somewhere though. I doubt he would have got three attempts so he would have to win at the first, second, attempt.

So we vote say Boris out his seat

He gets put up in my borough which is a 65% strong hold

He is gonna get in regardless they don't vote labour here

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Very well posted. The various Select Committees, ably supported by some excellent Civil Servants, get through a mountains of very good work. Perhaps what many people don’t realise is what is presented before a Select Committee has probably been subject to one hell of a lot of research by some very intelligent people long before it gets to Commitree stage.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
BoJo & Sunak open the taps.. I know these are different times.. but cant miss the irony ... from day 1 Corbyn became Labour leader, his plans for State intervention into economy were dismissed as Communism with claims it'd bankrupt Britain. Yet despite him having lost GE, Rishi Sunak announced levels of spending beyond even what Corbyn called for. Now we are all BoJo & Sunak as super heros.. Sunak as next PM is trending on Twitter right now

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
BoJo & Sunak open the taps.. I know these are different times.. but cant miss the irony ... from day 1 Corbyn became Labour leader, his plans for State intervention into economy were dismissed as Communism with claims it'd bankrupt Britain. Yet despite him having lost GE, Rishi Sunak announced levels of spending beyond even what Corbyn called for. Now we are all BoJo & Sunak as super heros.. Sunak as next PM is trending on Twitter right now
Depends how big a hole it leaves ... it is required. But let’s not blame anyone else for it.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

why do people still want to politicise it and score points. why not support that they are trying to do the right thing in a very short time frame to try and get us through a world pandemic rather than compare it to what may have happened in entirely different circumstances

back under the rock for me

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
why do people still want to politicise it and score points. why not support that they are trying to do the right thing in a very short time frame to try and get us through a world pandemic rather than compare it to what may have happened in entirely different circumstances

back under the rock for me

Not complaining or politizing .. he is doing what we need to do at this mo... so good on him. No wonder he is trending as future PM...

Was sharing an observation (as I sit in solitary confinement)

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Not complaining or politizing .. he is doing what we need to do at this mo... so good on him. No wonder he is trending as future PM...

Well it seems to have come over that you were implying that Corbyn would be as free spending if he had won the G E and would have been ( wrongly) criticised as a communist irresponsible spendthrift - but now that This government are doing it, it is good. The use of the word irony suggesting criticism of Corbyn would have been wrong.
Are you really suggesting that what the Chancellor is doing now would be the right thing to do in normal times, in the absence of such a national crisis.?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Sharing observations....... how very, very dodgy ..... the government gestapo will be watching you.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well it seems to have come over that you were implying that Corbyn would be as free spending if he had won the G E and would have been ( wrongly) criticised as a communist irresponsible spendthrift - but now that This government are doing it, it is good. The use of the word irony suggesting criticism of Corbyn would have been wrong.
Are you really suggesting that what the Chancellor is doing now would be the right thing to do in normal times, in the absence of such a national crisis.?
Oooophs... they've arrived. :eek::eek:...... & I've just managed to shake one off earlier today. :oops::oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.