Boris the PM - a new beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
IMO there has been a case for reform in the second chamber for a long time. Maybe either a proportional representation of senators based on the house of Commons divisions or an elected body. It can't be right the way parties like the LibDems have such numbers in the HOL. No more life peerages, that's outdated and smells of privilege.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I totally agree that the HOL needs a complete make over. Maybe a much smaller elected chamber of around 200 - 400 members and a fair representation from across the country - not sure of the best way - maybe it should be done on a local authority or even county council basis. I think there should be fixed term positions - maybe 5 or 7 year not hereditary or life membership

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i see the one nation tory party are paying back the loaned votes from the working class by cutting workers rights from the WB and dropping the living wage pledge... didn't take them long

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
i see the one nation tory party are paying back the loaned votes from the working class by cutting workers rights from the WB and dropping the living wage pledge... didn't take them long

I don't get why Johnson is dropping protection of workers rights from the WA given the answer that is given when asked, is that the UK will always be looking to improve upon these rights. So why remove protection of the new 'bottom line' on these rights.

And yes - increases in Living Wage pledged by Javid in the Tory Party conference will now only happen “provided economic conditions allow”. Well, sounds to me that those getting paid the living wage best not be holding their breath...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I don't get why Johnson is dropping protection of workers rights from the WA given the answer that is given when asked, is that the UK will always be looking to improve upon these rights. So why remove protection of the new 'bottom line' on these rights.

And yes - increases in Living Wage pledged by Javid in the Tory Party conference will now only happen “provided economic conditions allow”. Well, sounds to me that those getting paid the living wage best not be holding their breath...
Improve for who would be the question.... ;)

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It is not 'cutting' workers rights it is just the removing surplus text from the Act.

The UK has good rights enshrined in regulations which are adopted and well enforced and there is no reason to believe that will change. Many of our EU friends have the legislation but are somewhat lax in its application and enforcement - why do we always paint the UK as the villain?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It is not 'cutting' workers rights it is just the removing surplus text from the Act.

The UK has good rights enshrined in regulations which are adopted and well enforced and there is no reason to believe that will change. Many of our EU friends have the legislation but are somewhat lax in its application and enforcement - why do we always paint the UK as the villain?
So why remove the protections that are in place?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I remember when the 'working hours directive' was introduced I called our German division and asked how they were implementing it, they said they didnt know anything about it.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
being unlected should exclude you from cabinet
I am in two minds about that, because just being elected an MP doesn’t necessarily qualify anyone to be on the cabinet either.
This is where in principle (and if the current guy wouldn’t abuse it) like the US system. The president nominated someone qualified who then is ratified by elected people.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
No we never. Individuals can opt out but employeers cannot insist on it.
Have you worked in Germany? My experience is that they work very long hours.
Ok fair enough it is up.to the individual , have you tried to opt out ? I Did many years ago when we signed up and was told in no uncertain terms that I would lose my job. So yay to the opt out.
I have worked all over Europe, and thanks to being the son of an immigrant it will thankfully still be easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.