Boris the PM - a new beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Again though Bri, no one comes out of this with any credit, but maybe, naively I’d still like our PM to be more statesman like and maybe prove some of us wrong.
Everything with him from day 1 of his term has been at a million miles an hour.
To be fair he doesn't have a lot of time on his hands

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Again though Bri, no one comes out of this with any credit, but maybe, naively I’d still like our PM to be more statesman like and maybe prove some of us wrong.
Everything with him from day 1 of his term has been at a million miles an hour.

May was states(wo)man like and got owned. The House is a bear pit at present, from all sides. And you’re right, no one comes out with much credit. I feel he’s fighting from the back foot because he has no majority.

As I’ve said previously, he’s definitely not my cup of tea but in the context of what he’s dealing with I think he’s playing a decent defensive game.

I don’t like him or his politics but I grudgingly respect his battling qualities.

D

Deleted member 16999

May was states(wo)man like and got owned. The House is a bear pit at present, from all sides. And you’re right, no one comes out with much credit. I feel he’s fighting from the back foot because he has no majority.

As I’ve said previously, he’s definitely not my cup of tea but in the context of what he’s dealing with I think he’s playing a decent defensive game.

I don’t like him or his politics but I grudgingly respect his battling qualities.
He’s definitely fighting, but I see him causing more division which in the short term isn’t going to help him.
He’s trying very hard to be seen as the “man of the people” and if anything he’s started running his election campaign, promising the world and yet to deliver anything.

D

Deleted member 16999

What a precious crowd of Twazzocks, oh dear Boris said Surrender and Humbug. It was pathetic seeing them work themselves up into a froth.
Do you not see the danger in some of the words? Maybe it’s my military background but words like “traitor” “surrender” etc are words used in war.

Look at the connotations of surrender and no surrender and how it was used in N Ireland.

Words have consequences and I’m sure dialling the tone back a bit would benefit all sides.

One of the worst for his language is McDonnell and he needs calling out as well.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
He’s definitely fighting, but I see him causing more division which in the short term isn’t going to help him.
He’s trying very hard to be seen as the “man of the people” and if anything he’s started running his election campaign, promising the world and yet to deliver anything.

"More division..." What do you think May suffered?

As for running his election campaign now, what do you think Corbyn is doing? Let's be honest, it doesn't matter what he does in the eyes of many people, he's wrong.

D

Deleted member 16999

"More division..." What do you think May suffered?

As for running his election campaign now, what do you think Corbyn is doing? Let's be honest, it doesn't matter what he does in the eyes of many people, he's wrong.
I need him to do right! I want a deal.

He’s damaged the tories more than May ever did, and united the opposition, that’s one thing I didn’t think we’d see.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do you not see the danger in some of the words? Maybe it’s my military background but words like “traitor” “surrender” etc are words used in war.

Look at the connotations of surrender and no surrender and how it was used in N Ireland.

Words have consequences and I’m sure dialling the tone back a bit would benefit all sides.

One of the worst for his language is McDonnell and he needs calling out as well.
Words have connotations that depend on the context they are used, as a military man you will know how the 'F' word can be used for a whole spectrum of meanings depending on the context. The 'F'ing things 'F'ing well 'F'ed is a typical case. When he used the term 'Surrender' in context to the 'Ben Law' he wasn't refering to military situations, he was refering to the disadvantage it put the UK in with obtaining a good deal and they all knew this but preferred to turn on the amateur dramatics and feign offense. This type of banter happens week in week out in parliament without this kind of sensationalist heart pouring.

PS: I also have a military background, albeit not as extensive as yours and in a different Service (More Senior though 😉)

D

Deleted member 16999

Words have connotations that depend on the context they are used, as a military man you will know how the 'F' word can be used for a whole spectrum of meanings depending on the context. The 'F'ing things 'F'ing well 'F'ed is a typical case. When he used the term 'Surrender' in context to the 'Ben Law' he wasn't refering to military situations, he was refering to the disadvantage it put the UK in with obtaining a good deal and they all knew this but preferred to turn on the amateur dramatics and feign offense. This type of banter happens week in week out in parliament without this kind of sensationalist heart pouring.

PS: I also have a military background, albeit not as extensive as yours and in a different Service (More Senior though 😉)
The issue is the words are being used by the crazies on the street, they are not being confined to the HoC.

Have you seen the news today about the serving soldier tweeting to a Labour MP about “Blood on our streets” and the MP will “Perish” when the civil war comes.

Both sides have a part to play in this and it’s very easy for words to be twisted.;)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Well said. Its about context. Earlier today we surrendered a good lead in a bowling comp against Egham. No one was in the least bit affronted when we discussed it at half time ---- we won by 1. Am I allowed to say won? It wasn't a battle, although we did battle back. Isn't it just pathetic. Everyone knows how words can be used in different contexts, and they recognise those contexts.

If intelligent MP's are misreading Boris' context, they are doing so on purpose, and its a damn shame more people don't see that.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The issue is the words are being used by the crazies on the street, they are not being confined to the HoC.

Have you seen the news today about the serving soldier tweeting to a Labour MP about “Blood on our streets” and the MP will “Perish” when the civil war comes.

Both sides have a part to play in this and it’s very easy for words to be twisted.;)

And that's people deliberately using them to their own ends. Yes, I agree MP's/PM should be more careful but are they really responsible for the crazies that are already crazy?

D

Deleted member 16999

And that's people deliberately using them to their own ends. Yes, I agree MP's/PM should be more careful but are they really responsible for the crazies that are already crazy?
They carry some responsibilty, were that line is is debateable.

U

User62651

He’s not having a good week.

Boris Johnson referred to police watchdog over Jennifer Arcuri claims
http://news.sky.com/story/boris-joh...watchdog-over-jennifer-arcuri-claims-11821297

Cynically timed for maximum damage ahead of Tory conference. However if he has done what's alleged then it has to be looked into by police. Police however should be asking accuser why he/she has sat on alleged evidence of criminality in public office for a number of years.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Maybe we should let the investigation take place before we start the conspiracy theories eh! Innocent until proven guilty and all that.
As previously suggested, why has it been sat on all this time and then brought up before the Tory Conference. Its been weaponised, no doubt about it.

D

Deleted member 16999

Cynically timed for maximum damage ahead of Tory conference. However if he has done what's alleged then it has to be looked into by police. Police however should be asking accuser why he/she has sat on alleged evidence of criminality in public office for a number of years.
Not sure it is, wasn’t it the Sunday Times that ran with the story leading to the Council looking in to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.