Books - what are you reading just now?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
4/5th through ‘red storm rising’ by Tom Clancy

Bloody hell it’s good and the terminology used, tactics and mechanics of modern warfare are scarily accurately represented.

I’ve been having flashbacks to my old life due to it in a good way.

Cracking book.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have/ had read all Lee Child’s Reacher books. Although predictable you could stay with the stories til the penny dropped and the cases were solved. When Lee Child’s decided he had gone far enough with his writing, The Reacher chronicles should of finished. I won’t buy another.

Thought exactly the same. Last one was a bit naff

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
4/5th through ‘red storm rising’ by Tom Clancy

Bloody hell it’s good and the terminology used, tactics and mechanics of modern warfare are scarily accurately represented.

I’ve been having flashbacks to my old life due to it in a good way.

Cracking book.
If you've not read them, Rainbow Six and Without Remorse are awesome books. I think his best.

4LEX

Visit site
Reading a lot about real crime lately which isn't my usual scene. The Essex Boys and now onto the Brinks Mat and Kenny Noye.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've finished 2 books in the last week, a testament to the books rather than my speed of reading.

A Heart Full of Headstones, Ian Rankin. The latest Rebus book. No spoilers but it is very good. I like the way the participants are not frozen in time, they are ageing and progressing naturally.

The Concrete Blonde, Michael Connelly. Part of the Bosch series. Again, no spoilers even though it is old. Having seen the tv show it is interesting that the show tweaks some of the characters, how they behave for example. This book also has a big moment that the series chooses to ignore. I understand why, no problem with them running parallel but slightly differently. Looking forward to reading the next one.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've finished 2 books in the last week, a testament to the books rather than my speed of reading.

A Heart Full of Headstones, Ian Rankin. The latest Rebus book. No spoilers but it is very good. I like the way the participants are not frozen in time, they are ageing and progressing naturally.

The Concrete Blonde, Michael Connelly. Part of the Bosch series. Again, no spoilers even though it is old. Having seen the tv show it is interesting that the show tweaks some of the characters, how they behave for example. This book also has a big moment that the series chooses to ignore. I understand why, no problem with them running parallel but slightly differently. Looking forward to reading the next one.

Really enjoyed all of the Bosch series books.

Currently working my way through the Tex Hunter Legal Thriller series by Peter O'Mahoney.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site

Bosch series books are first class for easy reading.
The character in the TV series doesn’t resonate with how the character is in my head reading the books.
Still enjoyed the series as well.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The character in the TV series doesn’t resonate with how the character is in my head reading the books.
I did it the other way around. Saw the TV series and then decided to read the books. Inevitably I see the form of the characters as per the TV series but that's okay. At least I can't get grumpy about them being different to how I visualised them ?.

The one I'm struggling with so far is Jerry Edgar, I'm 4 books in. I liked him in the TV show but in the books he isn't overly likeable so far. Maybe they softened him in the TV show, maybe the actor is too nice and I warm to him when I shouldn't?

Lots of characters missing so far. I'm interested to see if they appear in the books at some point or whether they were purely created for the show.

Ian_George

Visit site
Pretty difficult to include many of the unique Bosch characterisations and characteristics - except perhaps his love of Jazz, particularly Art Pepper vinyls featuring Sugar Ray McK and the office environment!

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have/ had read all Lee Child’s Reacher books. Although predictable you could stay with the stories til the penny dropped and the cases were solved. When Lee Child’s decided he had gone far enough with his writing, The Reacher chronicles should of finished. I won’t buy another.

Give the Victor the Assassin by Tom Wood series a go.