Books - what are you reading just now?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just finished A High Wind in Jamaica (1929) by Richard Hughes.

On the surface a children's pirate adventure akin to Treasure Island, but in fact a lot deeper and darker story of child psychology and relationships. A 1965 film (Anthony Quinn and James Coburn) was criticized as it steered clear of many of the difficult things around the children and their relationships with the main adult characters that makes the novel what it is.

Though near 100yrs old it's not a long book and worth reading. The film is indeed OK but largely avoids the difficult aspects of the novel.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And so after a couple of pretty short adventures - Beau Geste and A High Wind in Jamaica - now for something completely different.

A book I’ve mused about reading for many a moon…Anna Karenina by Tolstoy. Apparently his masterwork ahead of WaP…which I may or may not subsequently embark upon depending upon how I get on with AK. But if I can read and enjoy the longest of Dickens then I am not daunted by AK.

D

Deleted member 1147

Read them in order - the characters don't always last - they are great though - the last two in particular
Will watch the show later in the year
You weren't wrong - read about 5 of them so far, all excellent fun

I'm thinking of becoming like Jackson Lamb in my managerial style :eek:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Finished Sicily 1943 by James Holland. Basically a book about the invasion of Sicily. It was strange reading a book where the views and stories of both Allies and Axis forces are recorded from those in the front line to generals. At times a sad read indeed.

RichA

Visit site
After putting it off for 2 years, I bought and started reading the first Reacher book written by Lee Child's brother yesterday.
What a difference. It's so shallow that it could have been written by a child (pun not intended).

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
After putting it off for 2 years, I bought and started reading the first Reacher book written by Lee Child's brother yesterday.
What a difference. It's so shallow that it could have been written by a child (pun not intended).
I have/ had read all Lee Child’s Reacher books. Although predictable you could stay with the stories til the penny dropped and the cases were solved. When Lee Child’s decided he had gone far enough with his writing, The Reacher chronicles should of finished. I won’t buy another.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Currently on Richard Osmond’s The Bullet That Missed. The third instalment in his Thursday Murder Club series. Unlike some others on here, I’ve enjoyed each book. Understand there’s going to be more and that Spielberg had bought the film rights (not that that is any indicator).

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Currently on Richard Osmond’s The Bullet That Missed. The third instalment in his Thursday Murder Club series. Unlike some others on here, I’ve enjoyed each book. Understand there’s going to be more and that Spielberg had bought the film rights (not that that is any indicator).
I've loved the first two and I'm looking forward to reading the new one. If you don't like this series then you must be miserable ?.

Couldn't agree more about the Reacher light books. I won't be bothering with the next one. Such a shame.

D

Deleted member 1147

Our Game by Le Carre
Excellent as ever.
Unfortunately I’m running out of his books now.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Because I don’t commute by train anymore I was thinking about trying audio books. I listened to a sample of the latest Gray Man and the latest Scott Harvath novels, it just doesn’t compute with me. One of them sounded totally weird.
does anyone know a novel in that genre that is read well and engaging? Reacher? Rapp? Milton? …

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Currently reading an absolute classic, to kill a mockingbird.
It's one of my all time favourite films ,so thought I would read the book.
Before that I read a few Harlan Coben books, they were very good.
Next is the girl with the dragon tattoo.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I'm re-reading the Charlie Parker series by John Connolly. It's like the unmarried love child of Stephen King and Michael Connelly. Amazing series.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Snow followed by April in Spain by John Banville. Intriguing and enjoyable read, a page turner, not a thriller but an old fashioned detective ‘who dun it’.