Books on golf

xcore

Head Pro
Visit site
Boring thread! But looking for recommendations for afew intresting golf books as got a week in the sun coming up!

thanks

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nothing by Bob Rotella, utter guff and best avoided.

LA Confidential - James Ellroy (absolutely nothing to do with golf but the best book ever written)

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There's a couple of good ones by Tom Cox, "nice jumper" is one.
Every shot counts by Mark Broadie if you like your stats
The big Miss by Hank Haney is a good read

alexbret

Visit site
The Inner Game of Golf - the best book i have seen so far for the ones who wants to learn golf through a theory program first. This is the book written by a pro golfer and has written in such an easy wordings.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The Match by Mark Frost. A bit of golf history and a great read, it recalls a private match held just before a Bing Crosby pro-am with Ben Hogan and Byron Nelson competing against Two amateurs (one of which was Ken Venturi who later won a US open). As well as the match the book weaves in the biographies of the participants and also brings in a little Hollywood glamour.

Also by the same author I have read The Grand Slam, which is quite long, but a good biography of Bobby Jones.

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
An American Caddie in St Andrews by Oliver Horovitz is a very good read, easy-going and very funny in places.

Also Four Iron In The Soul is a good read.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
The Match by Mark Frost. A bit of golf history and a great read, it recalls a private match held just before a Bing Crosby pro-am with Ben Hogan and Byron Nelson competing against Two amateurs (one of which was Ken Venturi who later won a US open). As well as the match the book weaves in the biographies of the participants and also brings in a little Hollywood glamour.

Also by the same author I have read The Grand Slam, which is quite long, but a good biography of Bobby Jones.

These two are both very good as is "The Greatest Game Ever Played" by the same author (this actually ties in nicely with The Match because one of the main characters (Francis Ouimet's Caddie) in TGGEP is actually a key figure behind the subject matter covered in The Match.

If you want something that charts the life and struggles of a journeyman pro then No Hiding in the Open by John Hoskison is also very good.

Last edited:

m9wst

Head Pro
Visit site
Out of the rough - Steve Williams - some cracking snippets in there from his experiences caddying for the worlds best.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
If you want something that charts the life and struggles of a journeyman pro then No Hiding in the Open by John Hoskison is also very good.
Forgot about this one. A brilliant book with a shocking ending. After I read it in 2015 I e mailed him to say how much I'd enjoyed it. Finished up playing with him in the Doug Mc.Clelland charity golf day. The follow up book "Inside" is equally good, though not about golf. He's a member of this forum, although he rarely posts. http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/member.php?18255-Hoskison

Both books are available on Kindle

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...lias=aps&field-keywords=No+Hiding+in+the+open

https://www.amazon.co.uk/INSIDE-Mans-Experience-Prison-Story-ebook/dp/B00784XQ1Q/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Phantom of the Open
An American Caddie in St Andrew's
Tommy's honour
Four iron in the Soul
Nice Jumper
Caddie for Life
No Hiding in the Open
Dual in the Sun

That should do you.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nothing by Bob Rotella, utter guff and best avoided.

LA Confidential - James Ellroy (absolutely nothing to do with golf but the best book ever written)

Coincidentally i (nearly) agree with both your statements.

Bob Rotella reminds me of Ty Webb

James Ellroy is a stupendously good writer, though i prefer "American Tabloid" and "The Cold six Thousand". Epic in the old fashioned "Ben Hur" sense of the words, not the modern Clarkson variant