Bobby Locke article

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Funny that appearing on here. They wee showing the 1975 'Duel in the Sun' open and showed Bobby Locke still playing

Great comment from him to a fan

" I'm still just as keen, I just take a few more shots to get round now"

It was time when all winners of previous Opens got in automatically and there was even some footage of Sir Henry Cotton playing for the last time despite need in a walking stick to get round. He was even allowed to play with his shirt out.

Mr Hip

Medal Winner
Visit site
I read that when he was playing in the US, he would play exhibitions with money for a course record and, after he had picked up a few nice purses, word got around and organisers set up courses with all the flags on the right edges of the greens so he couldn't get at them with his draw. So he just hit it into the middle or left of the greens and knocked in the putts from there!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I never got to see him actually play but did see him being interviewed around the time I took up the game. During the interview he was idly knocking 7 iron chip and runs on to the green and I was amazed how frequently he either hit the flag or the ball went in.

It was that and watching the 1975 Open that got me really strongly going rather than just an occasional game.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I saw him play a few times in the early 1960's, he was one of the best putters ever.
He hit most of his shots with a big draw with a plan that he had 100% of the fairway/green to hit rather than 50% if you aim straight.
Top player of the 1950's alongside Peter Thomson.

He is credited with the 'what train' comment when asked if he was put off when he continued to putt whilst a train passed close to the green on the 17th at St Andrews.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It was Joyce Weathered later Lady Heathcoat Amory, in 1920 at Sheringham who is attributed with this famous phrase.
Well worth a google to find out more about a wonderful golfer.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was Joyce Weathered later Lady Heathcoat Amory, in 1920 at Sheringham who is attributed with this famous phrase.
Well worth a google to find out more about a wonderful golfer.

If ever you are in the Tiverton, Devon area Knightshayes (National Trust) is where she used to live and there is a room dedicated to her golf memorabilia.