Boat of Garten

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The single best non-links course I have played. A nice relaxed atmosphere in the clubhouse and credit to the greens staff for keeping the course in exemplary condition. The greens were beautiful... not the fastest, but amongst the truest I have putted on. The new putter worked well too as I single putted on 9 holes!!! and had only one 3 putt. Every hole was different with their own wee challenge. Far from the longest course on the planet, but amongst the most fun I have played (just like North Berwick and Kilspindie). All about keeping the ball in play, the driver only came out of the bag twice. 33 points playing off 18 so not too bad considering my lack of golf this year (4 full rounds).

The colours were amazing (photos from my mobile phone so doesn't quite do the course justice).

Some pics.

Clubhouse from 1st tee.
DSC_9370.jpg

Clubhouse from walk back from 18th green.
DSC_9371.jpg

1st hole (bit dark, sorry) with Strathspey steam railway over the fence.
DSC_9372.jpg

18th green from 1st tee
DSC_9373.jpg

Practice green with Strathspey Steam Railway behind
DSC_9375.jpg

Approach to 2nd green from fairway
DSC_9377.jpg

Looking back at 2nd green from 3rd green
DSC_9380.jpg

If i remember right, this is the 7th green
DSC_9381.jpg

And this would be the 8th (please someone correct me if I'm wrong)
DSC_9386.jpg

9th hole par 3. Great wee hole.
DSC_9389.jpg

The view down the 12th hole (left) with the 8th coming up towards you (right). The course is undulating, but with good design, it never feels like a slog.
DSC_9392.jpg

Looking across to the 13th fairway from near the 12th tee
DSC_9393.jpg

View from the 14th tee
DSC_9394.jpg

14th tee. My least favourite hole on the course. Only because I played it poorly though.
DSC_9396.jpg

No photos of the 15th, 16th or 17th as I was having too much fun. :cool:

The walk up the 18th fairway.
DSC_9397.jpg

18th green looking back down fairway
DSC_9374.jpg

Bacardibatman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
thanks for posting this :)

brings back great memories
played there many moons ago as a kid (15/16) on holiday

played the boat, kingussie & another one for the life of me cant remember the name ,shot my best 3 consecutive scores lvl +2 &-1 round the 3 (-1 being at the boat)

Bacardibatman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
played the boat, kingussie & another one for the life of me cant remember the name ,shot my best 3 consecutive scores lvl +2 &-1 round the 3 (-1 being at the boat)

What was the gross??? ;)

lol

when i got in the pro asked me how i got on i said "dont bother asking you'll never believe me"

tbh I hardly believed it & i was there

course just suited my game & I putted like a demon

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yep, the greens weren't the fastest, but they were not slow on Saturday. Very very true though so you could trust your line and roll with it.

Played Newtonmore on the Sunday and those greens were much quicker, just cut a fair bit tighter.

Naybrains

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good job slugger. I regard the Boat as one of the Must play inland Courses in Scotland. Viewing your pics brings back great memories of my stagg doo last year.

Luckily for me most of the greens are surrounded by trees/bushes as they acted as great cover for me to sneak off and spew whilst my playing partners were putting out.... hangover.com