BLM protests/ Riots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Neither can I so it seems we are unable to prove it either way.

Do you believe that statues/monuments should be removed without consideration of views of local people.

I don't believe they should be removed period. They should serve as a memorial of things past and as a reminder of how we have evolved as a nation.

I dread to think what will happen in Glasgow and Edinburgh if the PC brigade let their voices be over heard and the SG pander to them. Many streets and buildings will be renamed, i find this thought not only ridiculous but down right shocking.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
So bringing the statue down is against democracy.
What that says for the population of Bristol is another debate.

Not sure how you mean that, but it appears the council of Bournemouth and Poole are backtracking and the statue stays allowing for debate by the people who live there and not pandering to mob rule which is the way our society used to work.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So bringing the statue down is against democracy.
What that says for the population of Bristol is another debate.

If you look back, you will see that the guy who posted that has admitted he is unable to provide any evidence of such a vote taking place, so it's safe to assume it never happened.

There was a similar claim last night about the Bomber Command memorial being attacked last week. Again, no-one has been able to provide any evidence when asked, my guess is they are confusing last week's protests with a totally different incident which happened 18 months ago.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Funny, I thought Muslims were the bogeymen, or was that last month?
I don't believe they should be removed period. They should serve as a memorial of things past and as a reminder of how we have evolved as a nation.

I dread to think what will happen in Glasgow and Edinburgh if the PC brigade let their voices be over heard and the SG pander to them. Many streets and buildings will be renamed, i find this thought not only ridiculous but down right shocking.

I agree. We should use this to make sure we properly see the good and bad in important/ pivital people from our history and context around it - not least to show how societies' values and attitudes have changed and will continue evolving. History is history and properly understanding it is the key to improving the future. Countries and empires did bad things in the past and behaved by different rules and goals - but countries evolved on the back of these people and actions. We cannot change history but it is good to properly understand it and continue changing prejudices and injustices

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are no Hitler statues in Germany, have they forgotten about their past? Do you think the Jimmy Saville statues should have stayed up?
It is possible that IF Germany had won the war.
There would be a lot of Hitler statues.
Most of our statues are of people who made a massive contribution to society.
But the use of slave labour to achieve those things has been rightly called into question.
I don’t know what the answer is in regards keeping them or taking them down.
Either way someone will not be happy about the decision.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
For me memorials/statues are to acknowledge great acts/people in our history... Not sure anything connected to slave labour fits into that category... And, not sure handing over some/all of ill gotten gains to society excuses/pardons you... It's not about stopping/eradicating history it's about taking a more informed/educated review of the past...

D

Deleted member 16999

Would anyone admit to being racist on here?

I think I am to a degree, as I’m genuinely not sure how you’d define it, I certainly hold prejudices and some of those are down to experience and age.

Tried to educate myself and I’m certainly more tolerant than many I know and 8 years as an Equality and Diversity Officer certainly opened my eyes.

But I do think some of my views would be described as racist were I don’t see them that way.

Maybe it’s a cultural think.?‍♂️

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

I think I am to a degree, as I’m genuinely not sure how you’d define it, I certainly hold prejudices and some of those are down to experience and age.

Tried to educate myself and I’m certainly more tolerant than many I know and 8 years as an Equality and Diversity Officer certainly opened my eyes.

But I do think some of my views would be described as racist were I don’t see them that way.

I certainly am. Was talking about this very thing with the wife last night. Every one of us holds some sort of prejudice.

The difference (to me), is that some people question their own prejudices and try to overcome them (and ensure that they’re not passed down to the next generation), and some don’t.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

I can't be as some of my best friends are not white. Granted that is because they have a tan thanks to all the sunny weather recently, but the point stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.