Blended sets.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve noticed on a lot of new product reviews on chooob, a consistent reference to blended / combo sets. In some cases starting at SGI at the top end, through to a players iron low end.

So to all the players using combos, how have you found the blending across multi models

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Must be difficult to find the right crossover point, given that most manufacturers' game improvement irons and player irons will have a different set of lofts on them. My irons for example - Rogue ST Max 7 iron is 27.5° where as the Rogue ST Pro 7 iron is 30.5°. You could end up with two 7 irons in your bag, 5-7 from the Max set and 7-PW from the Pro set?? Confusing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In pre made sets I found the hard crossover point to be the 7 iron, very often the 7 was still a muscle back rather than a cavity back club.

As per Orikoru if I chose the 5 6 and 7 from a set from the manufacturer it changed the lofts of the club so there was a gap in the lofts where I went 8-PW from a different set

I ended up having 5-7 from one manufacturer and 8-PW from another and fitted the shafts myself so they were all the same.

D

Deleted member 29109

I’ve had a couple of blended sets.

Both times the lofts have been set to 4° gaps, and then hitting balls to see if the gaps are ok.

Now you’d order what you want and do a gaping session on a quad or trackman and bend to suit.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Since 2008 I've been using Ping G10 3 and 4 iron, Ping i10 5-PW.
This was my idea and my club pro, who knows me and my game/swing very well, approved.
Did I start a trend? :D

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Mizuno have a chart on their website outlining what needs to be done to blend sets to give the correct gapping..on the Irons Comparison page.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Actually looking into doing this with my irons. Currently have RS10 Orka's in PW-5, going to see Alex next week with a view to replacing my old 4H with a Reflex 4 iron, could possibly extend that to the 5 iron if it works out, we shall see.

Jason.H

Visit site
I think some of the modern iron sets have more forgiving long irons ie lower weight to aid getting the ball launching higher to save going the combo route.

evemccc

Visit site
Must be difficult to find the right crossover point, given that most manufacturers' game improvement irons and player irons will have a different set of lofts on them. My irons for example - Rogue ST Max 7 iron is 27.5° where as the Rogue ST Pro 7 iron is 30.5°. You could end up with two 7 irons in your bag, 5-7 from the Max set and 7-PW from the Pro set?? Confusing.

I don’t see what’s wrong with having two 7 irons in this example — as long as they’re gapped sufficiently well the number on the club is immaterial. As long as the club does something different-enough to the other irons in the bag, to warrant being in the bag, then all is good 🤷🏻‍♂️

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don’t see what’s wrong with having two 7 irons in this example — as long as they’re gapped sufficiently well the number on the club is immaterial. As long as the club does something different-enough to the other irons in the bag, to warrant being in the bag, then all is good 🤷🏻‍♂️
It would annoy me personally from a visual/OCD aspect only. If someone asks you what you hit do you say 'big 7 iron / little 7 iron'? 😂 I know it shouldn't matter it would just get on my nerves.

WGCRider

Visit site
I have a set of Titleist T100's. They've been lengthened 1 inch and I use jumbo grips. The swing weights on the 4 and 5 iron are just wrong. To correct this I'd need to add more weight to the grip end. No clue why these 2 clubs would be like this when the rest of the set is not. I just carry the 4 and 5 iron from my old set of AP2's. They are in effect the same clubs but somehow don't have the same issue

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to have a set of Wilson Progressive irons. From 1 to the 7 iron they were cavity backs and the rest were blades. Had them for years but they were quite soft and the grooves wore out eventually.

Jason.H

Visit site
I have a set of Titleist T100's. They've been lengthened 1 inch and I use jumbo grips. The swing weights on the 4 and 5 iron are just wrong. To correct this I'd need to add more weight to the grip end. No clue why these 2 clubs would be like this when the rest of the set is not. I just carry the 4 and 5 iron from my old set of AP2's. They are in effect the same clubs but somehow don't have the same issue
My friend has recently bought a set of these in black. Initial feedback has been very positive. Where did you have the swing weight checked? Ive never bothered , other than loft, lie I just assume a set should be in the ball park.

D

Deleted member 31467

It would annoy me personally from a visual/OCD aspect only. If someone asks you what you hit do you say 'big 7 iron / little 7 iron'? 😂 I know it shouldn't matter it would just get on my nerves.
If someone asks you what you've hit just claim the hole ;)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I had a combo set a number of years ago but, bit by bit, I lost all confidence in them. I just felt that the gap between cavity and blade was too inconsistent. I dare say it was all in my head but I found myself trying to force shots rather than switch clubs. From what I remember, scoring was ok-ish but the long irons didn’t blow me away.

D

Deleted member 15344

I have a combo set in the MP18’s - 3-5 in the MMC and 6-PW in the SC .

The mizuno set work well combo , same with the Titliest T and TM P Series Irons

Your best bet is to go to an independent fitter

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

That kinda rings the same as what Timmy mallet said on his choob vid about srixon.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
919 tour 5-PW
850 forged 4iron.
Despite the 4i being 2 degrees strong like a 3 1/2 iron compared to the 919’s the gap between 4 and 5 seems to be 15 yards on average. The 919 tour 4 iron just isn’t quite forgiving enough.

I’ve also got MP20 HMB 2 iron which is like butter, looking into a HMB 4i…