Bikes and Cyclists

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did anyone on this thread commit to buying a bike yet? I'm still at the research stage, but have narrowed it down to either a Giant Defy 4, a Specialized Secteur or a B-Twin Triban 3.

hamshanker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Did anyone on this thread commit to buying a bike yet? I'm still at the research stage, but have narrowed it down to either a Giant Defy 4, a Specialized Secteur or a B-Twin Triban 3.

Out of the 3 you have choosen i would go for either Giant/Specialized,the specs are virtually the same but personnely i would opt for the Giant,not only does it look better but ride position for me feels alot more comfortable,but try both out as the other may suit you better...

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site

I'm still looking at bikes at looking at road bikes only so I can cycle to and from work once a week, it's 10.8 miles by non motorway roads. Plus I've found a cycle club that I didn't know existed no more than 10minutes from my home that do training sessions and road sessions a couple times a week. Just trying to decide what to get that won't break the bank.

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
I cycle quite regular. Mostly to work with the odd few hour run. I have had mountain bikes for years and recently bought a road bike. Carrera virtuoso. Great begginers bike great value. Loving the road biking tbh

Thats what i've been looking at, they've got a deal on them at Halfords, white one for about £349 down from £499.

Would you recommend it then as a beginners bike, how do you find it on the hill climbs for comfort. Thats one of my main areas to address as couple of steep climbs on the routes i'd have to take as I litterally live in a valley.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
the boardman bikes what sort of price do they retail at, as my firm does do the cycle to work scheme. Not sure of the full ins and outs of it at the moment am going to find out on the company intranet but i'm definitely interested as it would make the jaunt home more fun and worthwhile from a physical point of view..

I bought a Boardman Hybrid Comp road bike through C2W scheme. Absolutely excellent bit of kit...£550 at Halfords - obviously cost me a lot less through C2W.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm a middle-aged and waist-expanding chap, but I do have 3 bicycles. Seems unlikely, but true.

I have a downhill suspension bike (not often used, unless someone can taxi me up the hill!), a standard Mountain bike and an old-fasioned road bike.

If I could have only 1, it would be a mountain-style bike except set up with slimmer tyres and probably no front fork suspension. Covers both road and off road use. As bikes are very expensive, I'd go with a hybrid (that's almost certainly the correct term) and look at Ridgeback or Specialized. Buying new, you'll need to spend at least £300-350-??? or you'll be into horribly cheap components.

I bought another one (I know, rather a lot) recently for £20 with a decent frame and Shimano gears, but all the brakes and bits were Alonga chinese. Took me ages to find all the bits and pieces to fix up the disk brake, particularly.

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well, some seven months later than intended, I finally bit the bullet and bought myself a road bike. It's a new B' Twin Triban 5A from Decathlon and has a 6061 alloy frame, carbon forks, a full Shimano Sora drivetrain and weighs just under 10KG. Spent half an hour this morning tweaking the position of the handlebars and saddle and fitting cleats to my shoes for the clipless pedals. Took it round the block a couple of times to make sure everything felt right and it's seriously fast, after years spent plodding around on mountain bikes. I am, however, currently the unfittest man on the planet. :(
Bike 1.jpg
Bike 2.jpg
Bike 9.jpg
Bike 4.jpg

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
saddle looks sore
riding position looks like a sore back
no mudguards so a wet back as well.

Apart from that it looks ace :whoo: