Biggest faux pas on the course!

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played in a comp at Chorley yesterday, first time I had been to the course. Things were going reasonably well, seven points from the first three holes and we come to SI 1. It was playing straight into the wind and is a blind hole with the green hidden over a ridge. A decent first two shots saw me on the right side of the fairway near the top of the ridge with 74 yards to the centre of the green. I looked at the green and there were bunkers to the left and right at the front but it looked a damn sight further than 74 yards.

I confirmed the distance with my mate and thought that it must just look further than it was. As it was into a stiff breeze I took a PW out but pulled it, caught the back of a tree and was still about 30 yards short. I couldn't understand what was going on but then looked to the right and realised I was going for the wrong green (11th). I had looked straight past the correct green and was only focused on the green that I saw. The fact that there was a twenty five foot tall marker post with a big 4 right behind the green totally passed me by (despite aiming for it for my second shot).

:confused:

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Being an ex member of Chorley I can honestly say I have no idea how you managed that pal. Ha ha.

Fair play

Nor have I. Once I saw the actual green it was a WTF moment. Unfortunately I was first to play the approach shot and all I was focused on was the green that I saw.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played in a comp at Chorley yesterday, first time I had been to the course. Things were going reasonably well, seven points from the first three holes and we come to SI 1. It was playing straight into the wind and is a blind hole with the green hidden over a ridge. A decent first two shots saw me on the right side of the fairway near the top of the ridge with 74 yards to the centre of the green. I looked at the green and there were bunkers to the left and right at the front but it looked a damn sight further than 74 yards.

I confirmed the distance with my mate and thought that it must just look further than it was. As it was into a stiff breeze I took a PW out but pulled it, caught the back of a tree and was still about 30 yards short. I couldn't understand what was going on but then looked to the right and realised I was going for the wrong green (11th). I had looked straight past the correct green and was only focused on the green that I saw. The fact that there was a twenty five foot tall marker post with a big 4 right behind the green totally passed me by (despite aiming for it for my second shot).

:confused:

Cracking effort (of sorts). Can't compete with that other than pulling a 6 iron instead of a 9 and wondering why it air mailed the green by miles

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nor have I. Once I saw the actual green it was a WTF moment. Unfortunately I was first to play the approach shot and all I was focused on was the green that I saw.

The 4th was always my bogey hole. Hate the bloody thing.

To narrow for my snap hook or high push driving technique. As such my nerves were shot every time I stood on the tee box.

Even if you find fairway the approach is a bugger. Strange really as it's a fairly big green and pretty flat.

The 5th (which I think is the Si1?) is a tough hole. It's not massively long but I always made a mess of it and I hit a pretty long ball

3rd, 4th (11th ;-) and 5th can be card wreckers

How was the course playing? Not been up in a few years and miss it quite a lot.

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure it qualifies as 'on the course' but didn't one of the Irish boys rock up for a forum meet at the wrong course once?

On a similar note, one of my mates flew from London - Aberdeen for a golf weekend last year. Only he arrived a week early.

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I once totally forgot which way the wind was blowing.
It was a very windy day and we made it to the par 3 where the tee was totally shielded from the wind.
150 yards into a wind, pulled a 6 iron. Nice strike then watched in horror as the ball flew over the green and about 70 yards up the next fairway. This is when I clicked that it was massively down wind.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I regularly used to play at Burnham and Berrow in various opens mainly off the whites or blues.

First time I played in a Seniors open I just pulled a club out of habit on one of the par threes and airmailed the green. It was only a few seconds later that I remembered Senior Opens were off the yellows.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
did it at St Andrews of all places many many years ago. Hit it to 2 feet at one of the par 3s, rightly chuffed until my playing partners started laughing. It was only when one of them set up 50 yards right to the other flag on the double green I realised why!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played in a pit ko comp at bawtry, looked at the pin and me sat nav and it said 170 yd. I thought no chance it's about 120yd. Looked at sat nav watch and thought sod it so got out me 3 wood and promptly knobbed it to the side of the green. I thought that cannot be right coz if I had hit it sweet it would of been 50-70 yd past the pin. I walked up to me ball and it said 300 yd to the pin. Yet I was 10 yards from the hole. I looked at me watch again and the penny dropped. Somehow it was giving me the distance for the next hole going back. Done it a few times since.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The 4th was always my bogey hole. Hate the bloody thing.

To narrow for my snap hook or high push driving technique. As such my nerves were shot every time I stood on the tee box.

Even if you find fairway the approach is a bugger. Strange really as it's a fairly big green and pretty flat.

The 5th (which I think is the Si1?) is a tough h<script id="gpt-impl-0.12741336172486328" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_142.js"></script>ole. It's not massively long but I always made a mess of it and I hit a pretty long ball

3rd, 4th (11th ;-) and 5th can be card wreckers

How was the course playing? Not been up in a few years and miss it quite a lot.

The course was a bit wet in patches as they had quite a lot of rain over the last few days but overall it was in good shape. Greens were excellent, pretty fast and true. A few of the bunkers were GUR as they had quite a bit of water in them. 11th is a bit of a funny one off the back tees if you have not played it before as the marker post is on the right side of the fairway but the line is a lot further left.

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
"Playing through" the lady captain and her friends.

I was with ex captain and committee members so they made it all ok.

On a windy dry late March day I took a driver offf the par 5 downhill 3rd at South Winch... hit it 354 yards, through one group halfway down the hole, containing the lady captain.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Was playing on a great little 9 hole course on an American Air base here in suffolk years ago,on the last hole I air mailed my approuch shot to the green into the middle of a well attended BBQ outside the clubhouse with the ball still unfortuately in play,when I got to my ball there was a lot of jeering at my appauling shot and I found myself playing my next shot surrounded by 80 drunk American's encourging me to hole the shot only for me to duff the chip and the place errupted :eek:,I litterally couldnt play the next shot I was so embarrassed so I smiled pick up and walked in :whoo:.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played to the wrong green in a foursomes match. My excuse is that the actual green wasn't visible from the tee so I had it my head that the green I could see was the one we were playing.

My partner smoked her drive, and must have wondered why I was pulling out a 3 wood for a shot of not much over 100 yards but, sadly, didn't say anything before I smacked it about as far again past the actual green. Think we still got away with a half somehow....

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The course was a bit wet in patches as they had quite a lot of rain over the last few days but overall it was in good shape. Greens were excellent, pretty fast and true. A few of the bunkers were GUR as they had quite a bit of water in them. 11th is a bit of a funny one off the back tees if you have not played it before as the marker post is on the right side of the fairway but the line is a lot further left.

Hopefully it'll be in decent nick today, got R2 of the Mayors Cup (Shaw Hill v Chorley). Hard round at ours yesterday, windy and very soft.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Playing last year in Spain....grotty weather, mist, overcast, rain.... conditions not great.

Hit a good drive off the 4th over a river.... looking good so far.... a couple of the lads who were quite a way behind me then played, knocking their balls further up the fairway just beyond where my ball lay.

Got to my ball.... could just make out the red flag in the distance through the murk a rain....lasered the flag and got a yardage and then lasered the hedge behind the flag to make sure the initial reading was the flag. Pulled out my 7 iron and struck a sweet shot towards the flag.... well happy now that I was on for a good birdie chance.

The last of our forkball whos tee shot had carried further than mine pulled out a 5 wood and proceeded to hook his ball well left back over the river and out of bounds.

Unlucky I said.... but a strange club selection given I only hit 7iron in to the green up there?

My mate replied.... the green is over there... pointing back across the river to a flag that had a small white object nestled close to it!!

No no no I said... its up this way... pointing at the red flag I'd previously seen and lasered.

Nope he said....I think you'll find that's a red stake marking a water hazard...I wondered why you chose to lay up rather than go for the green after such a good tee shot!!!

Sure enough.... when we get to my ball....I do indeed discover its a red post (albeit quite a thick one) marking a ditch.... with my ball sat just two feet from it.

So I pulled out the putter.... gave the ball a decent rap through the rough and hit the red post.... claimed a "moral birdie" and stomped off in the direction of the real green.