Big Putters

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Does anyone else dislike the look of the new supersize putters on the market??
I tried, liked and bought an Odyssey Marxman putter 2 months ago and at first I thought it was great but over the last few weeks every time I look down on it there just seems to be too much in my sightline.
So at the weekend I was in the pro shop and saw a Ping Karsten Piper and fell in love with it. Its still a mallet but there is nothing to take your eyes away from the job in hand. The new TMade Spider looks awful to me - I'm sure it does the job but it looks plain ugly as does the Craz-E, the Ugl-E, etc etc etc

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes I hate the look of most, but for some reason I really love the look of mine.

I played on some really fast greens today and wondered if I should of had a blade.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I love my putter!!

It sits so tight behind the ball and the feel off the face is like butter.

The sweet spot is the size of a gnats nadger tho!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I had an odyssey marxman mallet and eventually traded it in for an odyssey 2 ball blade. Much better and less distracting. I've actually played 9 holes with a TM Spider and boy it is the mutts nutts for feel but just looks so wrong visually. If you can get over the look of it behind the ball it is one of the best out there.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I like simple putters. My favourite Scotty is an updated Anser. Classic heal and toe weighted putter. Beautiful workmanship, great roll, nice to look at, black anti glare finish. It doesn't get better than that.

Tried mallets, don't get on with them.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am more than willing to sacrifice 'good looks' to have a putter that works for me. I love my Ping craz-e and took virtually no time to get used to it after having a traditional heel/ toe putter. The only time I wouldn't use a certain putter is if the looks didn't inspire confidence, so if that's why people don't use mallets then fair enough, but if it is just because the club is not 'sexy' I think it is a silly reason to rule out using one. I am thinking of getting a Ping redwood series though, I think all Ping putters are superb and I would like to see how I get on with this more sleek design after my stint with the mallet.

Anyway as has been reiterated on numerous occasions with putters it is just a question of personal choice, some things work for some but not others.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
No one has mentioned the really big putters. There are a few (Benross, Ping and John letters at least) that you can put down behind the ball. let go of, walk behind, line it up, come back, take your stance and whammo. These are seriously ugly, and a bit like cheating. May be we will see some on the womens tour, so the caddy can line it up.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I very scared at the delay these stand up putters could cause. It is bad enough when the group in front spend 10 minutes stalking the green before rolling it up 3 feet short but imagine what they would do if they could line up the putt, check it from every angle, adjust, check it again etc.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
those stand alone putters aren't that much bigger than most standard mallets are they? I may be wrong but photos I have seen really don't show them to be. I agree that they are almost like cheating though- it's an interesting point to raise. I think if I putted better with it I would buy one still, but I don't think the improvements would be that noticeable. You should be able to line your putt up with the alignment aid on most golf balls and then you just point the alignment aid on your putter down there. I can do that without having to look like a wally!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The alignment aid on a golf ball is about 20mm long. The chances of accurately aligning this over a 40 foot putt are minimal. Especially when you then try and align the putter to it. These stand alone putters are BIG. The Ping one I was playing (in the shop) with had a diameter of about 8". I can see a real advantage to these putters, but the embarassment factor is as big as the head.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
What will the next putter development be? My guess is a spirit level or maybe a sighting hole in the handle as they are big enough to support one now.

and, I do so agree on the belly putters!