Big Cat's Final Round

• Thread starter Deleted member 1740
  • Start date

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't hate or dislike Tiger at all.

I think what he's done - especially in the last 10 years when things have been hard for him to even play golf - is remarkable and probably the vast majority of players would have simply retired with x millions in the bank and still moved onto a good career doing media / marketing / architecture.

I also really appreciate that in the last few years he has adopted a far friendlier persona, he enjoys the company of his peers and is more warm and likeable in general. He realises that even on his good day, he is no longer invincible and that must have been humbling for someone who was used to turning up, and when he was on it, he would win by 8 shots.

I guess I get a bit fed up with the Tiger fans who do come across as a bit like the Man United fans of golf. Golf is an individual sport so for me, the reason for supporting someone should be individual to that player. Whether it's their personality or a memorable performance - although obviously nationality often comes into it.

While I tend to root for the Europeans due to Ryder Cup team lines, I do like a few Americans and like to see them do well. And it has been hard not to enjoy Tiger and the story of his comeback and his near misses this season. But what annoys me is that whenever he is up there, or even if he's just on the course he sucks in all the interest, all the TV time, all the coverage and this is to the detriment of the tournament and the other players.

Sure we may see a few extra dollars dished out in various tournaments now as golf has suddenly become a bit more commercial again due to the interest he generates, but that doesn't make a difference to me. I will still watch and enjoy golf regardless and golf will still retain a commercial appeal at a viable level without him.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Didn't really follow it last night and only just got round to looking at the numbers.
Seems like a bit more an anticlimax in a way...
The only 2 really in a position to challenge Tiger went backwards, a couple of others closed in a bit but we're never in touching distance.
Tiger seems to have had a fairly iffy back 9 considering he wasn't under pressure.
It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if either Rory or Rosie had got their acts together.
A good win, no doubt, but he wasn't pushed in that last round and should really have been more than 2 in front at the end.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Of course a different spin on that could be he eased off cause he wasn't put under pressure.
I would be surprised if he didn't ease off a bit but it's not that easy at the top level. It would only take a particularly loose shot and you can run up a score.
Taking less club off the tee to keep it in play puts more pressure on the long game etc etc...

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
Didn't really follow it last night and only just got round to looking at the numbers.
Seems like a bit more an anticlimax in a way...
The only 2 really in a position to challenge Tiger went backwards, a couple of others closed in a bit but we're never in touching distance.
Tiger seems to have had a fairly iffy back 9 considering he wasn't under pressure.
It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if either Rory or Rosie had got their acts together.
A good win, no doubt, but he wasn't pushed in that last round and should really have been more than 2 in front at the end.
He had a scrappy back 9 and won