Bifocals?

phillarrow

Visit site
Anyone play in bifocals?

I have varifocals in real life but I can't play golf in them - they put my head in too low of a position in order to see the ball closely, which then affects my swing.
I've been using distance lenses, but with the obvious problem of not being able to read the scorecard, or my GPS watch, so I wondered if a good old fashioned pair of bifocals might offer a solution?

Anyone had a similar issue and tried bifocals? If so, did they help?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I play with variofocal lenses. My original pair were the standard type of variofocal lens which led to distortion especially round the edges. I then upgraded to better lenses which have less distortion and a more progressive definition between near and far sight and round the edges of the lens. More expensive, but far better. Personally, I don't think bi-focals will be of any use to me as the transition between near and far would be too pronounced.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I play with variofocal lenses. My original pair were the standard type of variofocal lens which led to distortion especially round the edges. I then upgraded to better lenses which have less distortion and a more progressive definition between near and far sight and round the edges of the lens. More expensive, but far better. Personally, I don't think bi-focals will be of any use to me as the transition between near and far would be too pronounced.
This ? also to add that when I was fitted for my varifocals I did mention that I would be using them for golf

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I wear varifocals and like the other comments above, struggle to play golf in them. I wear contacts instead and much like IanM, I prefer to play with them in. Actually I wear one lens as my other eye is Ok for reading (and if I wear 2 distance lenses then I struggle to read my GPS watch). I can't wear varifocal contact lenses due to my prescription/astigmatism.

It sounds odd but my optician assured me that your brain will sort out that one eye is working for distance and the other for close up.

I may well look into Yanda's scorecard magnifier though, as that seems like a good option should I wear both lenses!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I struggle playing when wearing my varifocal glasses and so I just don’t. I play wearing distance vision contact lenses, but can also play wearing a mix of close and distance as suggested by @SteveJay optician. The brain actually does sort things out. Like @SteveJay - my astigmatism is such that my optician has never suggested varifocal contact lenses.

Problem that I have when wearing the mix of lenses is that my distance binocular vision is somewhat impacted and though I can hit the ball fine, I struggle a little with spotting exactly where it has gone when it goes offline into the rough in the distance.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry but buck the trend here as play in varifocals and have done for around 10 years now.
I pay for the better lenses from private optician, did try some cheaper ones from nationwide companies but too much distortion around the sides made green reading and putting very difficult

RichA

Visit site
I was sold an expensive pair of Zeiss progressive varifocals by the optician a few years ago, but never got past the goldfish bowl effect that your brain is supposed to recalibrate to after a couple of weeks. After 2 weeks of tripping over kerbs and not recognising people in the street I got my money back.
I've found that distance lenses are poor for focusing on a golf ball 6 feet away but great for identifying which bit of rough it's landed in 200 yards away. I've now settled for being able to see the ball when I'm hitting it and hoping it lands on a fairway.
Going to Specsavers on Friday - my first visit as a golfer, so I'll see what bespoke advice they give me.
I've got bifocals, but only use them for driving (cars).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I only play in distance lenses.

One of the things I learnt very early on when starting to wear glasses is it is best for me to play in glasses very very big lenses with very narrow frames and I settled on aviator style glasses.

Although I have bifocals for normal wear (I too just cannot get on with varifocals) I do wonder if these would work as bifocal.

I use selectspecs.com and at their prices it is relatively cheap to give different styles a try out.

pm me your details and I will refer you and we both get an offer for doing it.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I've never had a problem with varifocals but I think that it's because there's not too much difference between my long & near vision. For a long time I managed with one pair of single vision specs for everything & eventually got varifocals when I had difficulty in seeing the computer screen.

I think that this is the reason for different experiences with bifocals / varifocals.

phillarrow

Visit site
Thanks for the replies folks. Just to answer some of the queries/comments:

1) There is a huge difference in my short and long distance vision - I developed cataracts at a young age and have implanted distance lenses in both eyes, so I have zero ability to adjust for distance.
2) My varifocals are great for normal life, I get on with them in all other aspects, it's just for golf that they don't suit. In order to see the ball clearly at address, I have to lower my head to a point that interferes with my swing.
3) My varifocal lenses are top of the range...and bloody expensive! Thankfully, I have relative who is an optician so I get a really good discount. However, the point is, the issue is not down to low quality lenses.
4) I can't wear contact lenses because I've tried all sorts of brands and they just won't sit on my eyes - my astigmatisms are really pronounced in both eyes.

In short, my eyes are garbage! :rolleyes:

I do like the idea of a handheld lens, and don't know why I've never thought of that for reading the card/watch. (y)

I think I'll also talk with my cousin about it - maybe there is a change they can make to the position of the various focus points that would work for golf?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One option to consider is a bifocal with an intermediate distance lens section in the bifocal area and a standard lens in the rest.

With my intermediate glasses for computer use I can still read smallish writing at my feet.

phillarrow

Visit site
One option to consider is a bifocal with an intermediate distance lens section in the bifocal area and a standard lens in the rest.

With my intermediate glasses for computer use I can still read smallish writing at my feet.

That's a good idea! I'll mention that. Cheers. ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play in my distance lenses.
My mate is a lens tech and he made me a monocle.
Might sound strange but I can put it to my eye without taking my glasses off and can read perfectly to mark a card.

Harley-D

Visit site
I have varifocals and reading glasses but i wear niether on the course. I usually wait for my playing partners to say either, "great shot, pin high, or, i would take a provisional if i were you"

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have varifocals and reading glasses but i wear niether on the course. I usually wait for my playing partners to say either, "great shot, pin high, or, i would take a provisional if i were you"

and when they say "wrong green" it is really time to worry:LOL: