Betterball competition / Shared GPS Question

Moff

Head Pro
Visit site
Tomorrow myself & playing partner are having our long overdue match in the Volvo/Howdidido better ball matchplay competition.
His GPS range-finder is playing up at the moment so we may only have the 1 between us - Are we able to both use the 1 device or would this be treated under the same rule where we are not allowed to share clubs/equipment??

Thanks in advance. :D

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Should be no problem assuming the device conforms to measuring only distance and has been cleared by the committee for use. (Note on rule 14-3)

There is no specific ruling on sharing equipment only clubs. Even then partners can share clubs as long as the combined number of clubs in play are not more than 14.

You could even justify it under rule 8-1 as you are effectively getting advice from a partner.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
From the R & A website,

"Information regarding the distance between two objects is public information and not advice. It is therefore permissible for players to exchange information relating to the distance between two objects. For example, a player may ask anyone, including his opponent, fellow-competitor or either of their caddies, the distance between his ball and the hole."

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
From the R & A website,

"Information regarding the distance between two objects is public information and not advice. It is therefore permissible for players to exchange information relating to the distance between two objects. For example, a player may ask anyone, including his opponent, fellow-competitor or either of their caddies, the distance between his ball and the hole."

Clive, you are the man. :) Thanks.

I/we get the odd raised eyebrow using GPS in pairs. I offered to supply opposition players with distances from the skycaddie if they wish, none seem too interested.

I somewhat gifted a hole to my singles opponent on Sunday. I'd come up 20 yards short of a par 3 (bad shot) and he was then far too casual with his tee shot. He topped it up the hill past the ladies tee. Generally cross with himself, he asked me the distance to the middle/back-ish from where he was. "101 to centre, maybe 105 to the pin". 105 yards later, 4 inches left of the pin, I conceeded his putt and lost the hole, as I never got up and down. :eek:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
From the R & A website,

I/we get the odd raised eyebrow using GPS in pairs. I offered to supply opposition players with distances from the skycaddie if they wish, none seem too interested.

I somewhat gifted a hole to my singles opponent on Sunday. I'd come up 20 yards short of a par 3 (bad shot) and he was then far too casual with his tee shot. He topped it up the hill past the ladies tee. Generally cross with himself, he asked me the distance to the middle/back-ish from where he was. "101 to centre, maybe 105 to the pin". 105 yards later, 4 inches left of the pin, I conceeded his putt and lost the hole, as I never got up and down. :eek:

Could the "maybe 105 to the pin" part of the above be construed as advice, as it's an opinion?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Also from The Rules of Golf..

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Player One: "Can your caddy tell me how far it is to the hole?"
Player Two: "The hole you say... Yes, my wife 184 yards away and is in the front row on the back left of the green"

I'll get my Galvin Green waterproof jacket

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
From the R & A website,

Could the "maybe 105 to the pin" part of the above be construed as advice, as it's an opinion?

That might well be true, you are right. I shan't be doing it again, rules or no rules....it cost me the hole :eek:
Than again, caddies have a pin sheet (don't they) which states the depth/length of the green, so there again, a pin placement could be considered OK. In truth, I don't know, so thanks for raising it

When I play in pairs, I often give advice eg. "125 to the centre, probably only playing 115" (downwind or downhill). Recently, I've been using the skycaddie and saying to myself 100, play 90....when I know the ball doesn't hold on a certain green. I had a great one the other day. Skycaddie said 145 but the front was only 128 and I know the ball doesn't stop, so I hit the easiest 9 I could. One of my best birdies in ages! :)