Better or worse? Rate my swing!!

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
I've just spent half an hour putting this post together, and it gets wiped! Try again.

Sequence from 3rd Jan 2010. Already posted on here earlier on in the year.
039.jpg

Sequence from today. 8 Iron pushed slightly right but distance was good.
041.jpg

Video of same.
http://www.youtube.com/user/improvemygolf?feature=mhum#p/a/u/1/dG2hck_oCl8

Sequence from today. Driver, pushed slightly right, distance good.
040.jpg

Video of same.
http://www.youtube.com/user/improvemygolf?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/kHgZcF2m4fQ

So what's it all in aid of?

Comments, observations, critisms, witty remarks! Basically anything that might help

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Looks like you are aiming right with your 8 iron, although it might be an optical illusion. Feet and shoulders should aim slightly left of target, so club aims straight.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I did the same thing, and when i first corrected, it felt i was aiming way left. Suggest you practice with a club across your toes to ensure your feet and shoulders are aiming correctly, and it is the club that is aimed at the target. Think of railway lines. Good luck.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
I did the same thing, and when i first corrected, it felt i was aiming way left. Suggest you practice with a club across your toes to ensure your feet and shoulders are aiming correctly, and it is the club that is aimed at the target. Think of railway lines. Good luck.

Could be why it goes straighter on the practice ground. I use alignment gear to keep me on 'track' so to speak on the practice ground. But obviously can't use them in a match though.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
Ta.

I've had an inside take away for a while, so this year has mostly been spent on not hooding or closing the clubface on the take away. I used to get terrible duck hooks. I've had real trouble getting the first bit of the take away correct on the course. Despite the practice at home!

My pro said that I had a very flat swing earlier this year. I'm probably over compensating with the steep take away.

I can draw lines all over the video footage, and the plane is quite steep at the top.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
Bob. Where are you Bob?

I spent alot of last night comparing these two video footages with one of Luke Donald at the Ryder Cup. Very interesting. Especially with the slo mo and pause, back a frame, forward a frame function.

Firstly. My head. It's way to low compared to my spine angle.

The first part of the take away. I bring my club so much further inside than he does. In the latter part of the take away I get very steep. Lukes club plane is much flatter than mine. Also the face angle is a lot flatter at the top of the swing in my shot, when compared to his.

The next big thing was the final part of the follow through. Luke's club head appears to go down the line of the target for far longer, where-as I wrap mine around into the flat plane for the finish.

What does all this mean? I hit it differently to Luke. And seeing as he's earnt millions from it, I can only assume that something ain't right with my swing.

It might explain why I struggle with the refiner iron (the training club with the hinge in it) and yet I've watched Pros use it perfectly!

So my challenge this winter is to change my swing (even more) to get more consistency. My ball striking has improved dramatically this year but direction has always been a bit erratic. But at least the big duck hook I used to get has gone! Sometimes I push it (though it might be going straight, alignment issues?) and sometimes pull it, (the last half of the follow through being very flat perhaps?). But occasionally it's a gorgeous draw, which I really don't want to lose.

Lukes video for those that are interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k2IAsMoU6o

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Your posture is changing into impact causing problems.
As the club comes into the ball, your back straightens, your head comes up and the top half of your body chases the ball causing a big out to in slap.

Try and feel you stay down longer over the ball and feel the clubhead flying passed your face which is still looking at the tee peg.
This will help you extend the arms and club down the line longer for straighter and more powerful strikes.
:)