Best way to break in shoes

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always suffer from heel blisters whatever the shoe - the best solution I have found is a pair of 1000 mile socks. They are two layered so the outer layer rubs the inner (smooth) layer rather than your heel. Really worked for me and no more blisters!

farfaeforfar

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I usually wear my new footjoys round the house for short periods to try and get them to bed in but also letting me take them off and have my feet breath/rest. I try to repeat that for 5 to 7 days and it generally works well. But not everyone will have that time to bed shoes in.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
My apologies for this unhelpful post. I'm with homer on this, go buy shoes that fit correctly. I learnt one thing from a young age from wearing footie boots and that is to choose the size that is a nice snug fit then let them stretch and shape to your foot.

I have ever once had blisters from golf shoes and I have worn Foojoy, Adidas, Etonic, Nike and Stylo. I have never had to break any golf shoes in by using my strategy to findings he right pair.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I tend to take a pair of shoes as a project to a extent,

Used to use FJ, but the leather is poor quality compared to ECCO, yes you could wear FJ straight from the box with no issue, but they would then stretch and be too big within a couple of month especially if they got a lot of wear.

The Ecco i get now i have worn in over a few months, and that gradual stretch makes the shoes last far longer. O got a pair of the goretex Ecco back in Nov, i wear them a 10 mins a day while working from home and when i have a lesson or hit a few balls.

Wore them for 9 holes around the Newton and they are almost ready.

Might be a pain to do this for some , but ive found the shoes last so much longer when they get a gradual wear in

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I often find that changing the shoe inner helps. It moves wear to another part of your foot, but also, sometimes just changing the height of your foot in the shoe just makes it fit better, and moves your heal to the height the designer of the shoe meant it to be.
I find addidas shoes have a very springy liner. This gives me excessive heal movement up and down, which causes the back of my shoes to rub. If I put a firmer lining in, then the problem goes away.

Airsporter1st

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If they are as bad as you say, I really doubt that you'll be able to 'break them in'.

I can understand it taking a couple of rounds for shoes to break in, although as has already been said, well fitting shoes wouldn't even need that, but more than that, I would say is a lost cause. Nothing worse than bad fitting shoes for making golf an uncomfortable experience.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are some hostile replies on here. Good for you if you have feet that are a simple or standard shape and size but many people have feet inbetween sizes, one foot wider than the other etc. I find that my left foot fits a regular size 9 shoe perfectly. My right foot however is a different size and width and that is the foot I have all sorts of trouble with. Having to break in one or both shoes in a pair is common for many people and it is an issue.

For me, I wear them at work or around the house for a few days and put plasters on the back of my right heel for the first few rounds. If I have issues after that I look to put in an insole or heel protector depending on what is causing the issue, if an issue is there.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There are some hostile replies on here. Good for you if you have feet that are a simple or standard shape and size but many people have feet inbetween sizes, one foot wider than the other etc. I find that my left foot fits a regular size 9 shoe perfectly. My right foot however is a different size and width and that is the foot I have all sorts of trouble with. Having to break in one or both shoes in a pair is common for many people and it is an issue.

For me, I wear them at work or around the house for a few days and put plasters on the back of my right heel for the first few rounds. If I have issues after that I look to put in an insole or heel protector depending on what is causing the issue, if an issue is there.

For the record my left foot is smaller than my right but buy a size 8 which fits the larger right perfectly and never had any issues with rubbing on the smaller left (or indeed the right) with FJ. It's just an observation and clearly I've been lucky (in all 19 pairs). I've struggled with adidas to the point of binning one pair I couldn't break in at all.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Not sure there's anything hostile but each to their own.

My right foot is 1/2 size smaller than my left so I either by myjoys to fit each foot or just stick an innersole in my right shoe. Never had an issue with FJ whichever way I go.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always keep my old golf shoes in my bag for the first few rounds ,when breaking in new shoes. Then change into them as soon as i feel any discomfort. Two pair of socks or some tape, might help.
Forget the Vaseline some joker might put sand in it .:rofl:

Last edited:

beck9965

Head Pro
Visit site
I always suffer from heel blisters whatever the shoe - the best solution I have found is a pair of 1000 mile socks. They are two layered so the outer layer rubs the inner (smooth) layer rather than your heel. Really worked for me and no more blisters!

Same here, any new shoes are worn with these socks and no blisters.