Best way to break in shoes

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all, I've got a pair of Mizuno MP Shoes, have had them for a while and they still cut the heels off me. Tried taking a hammer to them to no effect.

What's the best way to soften up the leather?

D

Deleted member 15344

Hi all, I've got a pair of Mizuno MP Shoes, have had them for a while and they still cut the heels off me. Tried taking a hammer to them to no effect.

What's the best way to soften up the leather?

Vaseline is a good way - rub hot soap water

But the bets way is to keep wearing them with possibly a blister plaster

They might the wriong size

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Vaseline is a good way - rub hot soap water

But the bets way is to keep wearing them with possibly a blister plaster

They might the wriong size

They feel comfortable when on, but come maybe the 7th I'll feel them rubbing, I'll try the soap and Vaseline, thanks Phil and Steve

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got a set of these which really help shape them better to my feet. Warm the leather over a kettle first then fit the shoe stretcher to push the heels back. I have wide feet and these help with that as well.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some of my shoes rubbed the skin off my heels, fixed it by wearing two pairs of thin socks and using talc. I powered by foot, pulled on a sock, powdered that, then pulled on the other sock. The talk allows the socks to slide and you get to break in the shoes without pain. Now I'm back to a single golf sock no talc.

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm with Homer on this on...

...But blister plasters are great things if you're having trouble with rubbing.

My Fj DNA's and Synrg ripped my feet apart for a good 2 months

Had to give away my dryjoys as they crippled me

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Zinc tape.

Put it on all the hot spots in your feet and a garantee you will not get blisters.

I owned some mp shoes and they cut my heel to shreds initially.

But of Zinc tape and problem solved.

You can get real heavy duty tape from the chemist of hiking shops etc.

Top stuff

Used it in my navy days also when out and about.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Two pairs of socks should help Cian. I prefer soft shoes thoughSo rarely have this problem.When I played Spey Valley my new (then) softjoys nearly crippled me. Took a harsh 18 to break them in.

Last edited:

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
A shock yet again we have discovered different strokes for different folks but the question is "Best way to break in shoes?" not "Which shoe should I buy?". He already has the answer to the latter.

Dubbin helps to soften the leather and also protect it. Probably a better shout than Vaseline.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Why do people say buy brand x or buy brand y, they always fit like a glove?

Everybody's feet are a different shape and size so what works for one person won't necessarily work for someone else. I've always struggled with Footjoys but never had a problem with Adidas. I'm sure there are plenty of people that are the opposite way round.

To the OP, all I can suggest is plasters and perseverance.