Best Player to Only Win One Major

Hoganman1

Visit site
We hear a lot about "the best player(s) who have never won a major". With all due respect to the FedEx Cup, major wins define a golfer's career. I've always felt that to be truly great a player needs to win at least two of golf's major championships. Some feel that winning two Players Championships equals one major. I guess I buy that logic. Davis Love, Freddie Couples, Steve Elkington and Hal Sutton all have won one major and two Players. I think they qualify as "great". Anyway, although there is plenty of time left for him to get another, I would say that right now Dustin Johnson is the best player with only one major. My other two choices would be Sergio and Jason Day. Hopefully, all three will meet my standard before they're through playing. Do you agree and who else would you add to the list.

sunshine

Visit site
Got to be Dustin, he has been world no1 on numerous occasions and won many times. Am sure he will land another major at some point.
Then Sergio for his longevity at the top. Don't think he'll win another.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
We hear a lot about "the best player(s) who have never won a major". With all due respect to the FedEx Cup, major wins define a golfer's career. I've always felt that to be truly great a player needs to win at least two of golf's major championships. Some feel that winning two Players Championships equals one major. I guess I buy that logic. Davis Love, Freddie Couples, Steve Elkington and Hal Sutton all have won one major and two Players. I think they qualify as "great". Anyway, although there is plenty of time left for him to get another, I would say that right now Dustin Johnson is the best player with only one major. My other two choices would be Sergio and Jason Day. Hopefully, all three will meet my standard before they're through playing. Do you agree and who else would you add to the list.

There is a bias in major records. For years, great players from outside the US did not get to play. Christy O'Connor, 10 time Ryder Cupper never played a US major. Peter Thomson, 5 times Open Champion only played a handful of US Opens and Masters and no PGAs.

I don't consider The Players as a half major. It is a top PGA Tour event, certainly.

In my opinion, the best player to win one major is probably Jim Furyk or among active players who could still win another one, Dustin Johnson

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm with Ethan in that whilst I love watching The Players it isn't a Major and you could have 5 under your belt and it wouldn't equal 1 major. Same with FedEx titles. They are just not the same.

I don't know the older players so I only only go from a certain era onwards. Of the bunch I know, Dustin Johnson.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I assume you are talking about Sergio. I think and hope he has one more in him. If not, maybe another Players will get him in the Hall of Fame.
If I followed the OP then I share the indifference to the Fed Ex.
Hall of Fame though, is that really a "thing" that people care about?

Siolag

Visit site
Got to be Dustin, he has been world no1 on numerous occasions and won many times. Am sure he will land another major at some point.
Then Sergio for his longevity at the top. Don't think he'll win another.

Only 4 players have been world number 1 for longer than him. Given how much it’s changed in recent years, that’s definitely a big achievement. He’s also won a stack of titles.

Hoganman1

Visit site
I tend to agree on both points added. Many great players from the other continents haven't competed in the majors over the years. Masashi (Jumbo) Ozaki is a prime example. I've always questioned why three of the four modern majors are in the US. Also, The Players and The FedEx cup were both created primarily because the PGA Tour does not control any of the four modern major championships. Frankly,I feel like the World Golf Championships should carry as much, if not more; weight as The Players. Still two of the four WGC events are played in the US. If they are truly "world championships" there should at least be one played in Europe. It would be even better if they moved around the globe. As far as the Hall of Fame goes; it's mainly a tourist attraction.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I can't see how it isn't DJ.

Only 4 players in the game have been the number 1 ranked player for longer, and surely it won't be long before he makes it only 3 - 6 weeks behind faldo.

As tiger said yesterday, he's running out of majors. Is DJ? Who knows?

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No. It's an American thing that I don't think the rest of us buy into or get excited by. Just my opinion.

I agree but now its here I think people want to be recognised. I'm sure there was a bit of frustration from Woosie not getting "inducted" when others with less achievements were being recognised.

Springveldt

Visit site
DJ for me as well. Considering how many wins he has, how many years in a row he has won at least once and how long he's been #1 in the World he is the obvious choice.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If they are truly "world championships" there should at least be one played in Europe. It would be even better if they moved around the globe. As far as the Hall of Fame goes; it's mainly a tourist attraction.

It was that way when it first started but a lot of the American players would not play in in ones such as the one in Australia. The Chinese one is well supported