Best item to get signed by players?

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi, planning on taking my daughter to Wednesdays practice day for the Open next week. I think she is hoping to get some players signatures if she's lucky. Any tips on the best item to get signed? I was thinking of a flag or baseball cap, if I get a baseball cap I take it players will they would sign it even if it's not their own sponsors brand?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My son went on the Wednesday 2-3 years ago. He bought a flag and came back with it covered. Players were happy to sign it. Not much space on a cap although great if she wants a specific signature.

You'll have a great day, hope your daughter enjoys it.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Probably stating the obvious but, make sure she says 'thank you'.
It staggers me how rude some of these young autograph hunters can be.

White peaked hat by the practice green best.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Definitely a hat. You can hold it out in front of them to get their attention. Take another for you to hold out and see how many you can get. Can always donate it to help for heroes day for the auction

D

Deleted member 1147

An official Open hat should be good. Gives it provenance and shouldn’t bother players if it’s the wrong brand.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Was at the Scottish Open on Friday. My mate's fiance came with us as she is a mad keen Mickelson fan.

After they had played in - there is a designated autograph bit. This is after the scoring hut and media commitment bit.

Was relatively simple to get autographs. Just a matter of being patient.

There were plenty of folk with flags they had bought (either Scottish Open or the Open) at £15 a pop. I handed over my programme open at the correct page and got Rose, Fowler and Mickelson. Helps to have a sharpie, but not essential.

Note that some guys were signing golf balls - however Phil said he didn't sign golf balls and he also didn't sign a small trophy that someone handed him.

I would imagine best strategy would be to watch for who you want on the course and then go to the autograph area the other side of the scorer. Also possible to get guys walking onto the practice green. I doubt guys will sign on the course - even on the practice day.

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
I saw an older guy last year at Birkdale with his wife on one of the practice days. He had a massive box with hundreds of photos in all filed in an order. Every time a group came through they were frantically searching for the name to find the photo and get a signature. He was far too professional to ask for tips on here 😂

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, hopefully we have brought her up well enough that will say thank you without me having to reminder her but I'll make sure she does it. Think I'll get both to be on the safe side, if she is lucky enough to get any of the really big guns hopefully they will sign the flag and I can get it framed for her room.