Best Ever Holiday?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Flew Air Canada Business class to Vancouver, drove to Wells Gray Provincial Park, then Jasper, Moraine Lake Lodge (best place we stayed in), Banff Springs Hotel, and flew out of Calgary. Fantastic scenery, accommodation and food, and Canadians are so friendly. Would love to go back but highly unlikely due to having a dread of flying now!

Did similar in reverse; into Calgary, saw the stampede, onto Banff, didn't stay in the Banff Springs Hotel but did play the course (y) and then all aboard the Rocky Mountaineer to Vancouver. Great country & lovely people.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Really tough question, but if I had to repeat a holiday I had already done...

We did a week or so exploring Southern Germany/Northern Austria. Starting in Munich, then down to Neuschwanstein Castle, Innsbruck, Tyrol, Berchtesgaden, Salzburg, Mondsee, and then back to Munich for the afternoon before flying home.

This was in the middle of the Summer and the weather was fantastich. Nice people, nice food, fantastic views pretty much everywhere you looked. It is a truly wonderful part of the world.

The most magnificent beer gartens in Munich and Salzburg :)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I first thought about it, I was going to say the trip to ... but no, there was that one to ... or ...

Have had a lot of holidays over the years, some exotic, some less so, many with just the wife, or with my parents, or the golfing boys, or the climbing mates. Some outstanding, and many brilliant, every one memorable. But they are so diverse as to be incomparable. How do you compare Christmas in Saigon, with sunset over Loch Harport? The view from the summit of Monte Rosa with a river cruise of the Zambesi? Or being the only British folk on a campsite in Yugoslavia in the 60's in the middle of the most biblical storm I've ever witnessed? No, a nice question but I really can't pick.

Reactions: MDG

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Circumstances…taking advantage of what comes unexpectedly around the corner of life when life can both be cruel and kind. And we consider ourselves very fortunate…as good fortune shone on us following cruel cancer my wife developed and she retired from NHS after near 40yrs and I was able to take a 6 month ‘sabbatical’ from work.

17 weeks Feb to June 2019 during which - in a pretty unplanned way - we drove New Zealand for 4 weeks (awesome); then travelled Australia for 9 weeks (inc magic 3-4 weeks campervan driving top to bottom of Queensland and down to Byron Bay); then a week in a beautiful north Bali small hotel; a week here and there in Thailand; a week in Cambodia (fascinating…and Angkor Wat..wow!); and a final week back in Thailand in a fabulous coastal resort recovering.

Holiday of a Lifetime? Well…it would seem so, and indeed we had 8 holidays in one (effectively four in Australia as the place is so vast and varied); but in truth it’s whetted our appetite for another long travel…travelling as we did being something quite different from being a tourist on holiday.

But with what has happened 2020/21 we have had 100% confirmed to us that as we cannot see round the corner of life we must live life today as best we can - in all things at all times.

Last edited:

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
When I first thought about it, I was going to say the trip to ... but no, there was that one to ... or ...

Have had a lot of holidays over the years, some exotic, some less so, many with just the wife, or with my parents, or the golfing boys, or the climbing mates. Some outstanding, and many brilliant, every one memorable. But they are so diverse as to be incomparable. How do you compare Christmas in Saigon, with sunset over Loch Harport? The view from the summit of Monte Rosa with a river cruise of the Zambesi? Or being the only British folk on a campsite in Yugoslavia in the 60's in the middle of the most biblical storm I've ever witnessed? No, a nice question but I really can't pick.

Know what you mean, and they do not need to be exotic, I have great memories of holidays in the early 70s. Playing rummy with my mum and dad on a rainy day in a caravan in Clacton.
On a beach at Westward Ho! Mum pouring tea from a flask and Dad complaining about real sand in the sandwiches.
Me Rowing and the wife and kids all cuddled up under a blanket at the back of a boat at West Bay.
With the wife and young kids exploring a burnt out chateau in France.

It’s often the people you are with rather than the places you are at that give you those wonderful memories.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Too many to choose from:

My honeymoon was at a time when I had trouble relaxing when away so it was just a busy, cheesey heaven of 10 days in Disney World and Universal Studios follows by 2 weeks in Atlantis in the Bahamas.

Mauritius, just heaven. The carribean without the american influence.

Secrets Silver Sands in Mexico. The best all inclusive experience with great bars and restaurants and just total fun and relaxation.

Any trip to Antigua. Love the island, been many times now and every one is superb

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Know what you mean, and they do not need to be exotic, I have great memories of holidays in the early 70s. Playing rummy with my mum and dad on a rainy day in a caravan in Clacton.
On a beach at Westward Ho! Mum pouring tea from a flask and Dad complaining about real sand in the sandwiches.
Me Rowing and the wife and kids all cuddled up under a blanket at the back of a boat at West Bay.
With the wife and young kids exploring a burnt out chateau in France.

It’s often the people you are with rather than the places you are at that give you those wonderful memories.

Quite! Remember me & half a dozen mates sleeping on Westward Ho! beach the night before getting a helicopter across to Lundy for a week.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Did similar in reverse; into Calgary, saw the stampede, onto Banff, didn't stay in the Banff Springs Hotel but did play the course (y) and then all aboard the Rocky Mountaineer to Vancouver. Great country & lovely people.
We had that trip all booked up but unfortunately my wife's illness got in the way.
We were going on to visit my cousin on Vancouver Island.
I do envy you.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
We had that trip all booked up but unfortunately my wife's illness got in the way.
We were going on to visit my cousin on Vancouver Island.
I do envy you.

Try and rebook it, it is fantastic, and Vancouver Island is beautiful; took the seaplane both ways in the co-pilot’s seat (the legroom seat ?)

If you do, try and do the train from west to east; the scenery gets more and more dramatic going that way ?

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Best holiday for me happened to be a wedding.
A friend had invited us and 40 other guests to Barbados. All paid for flights and rooms 10 nights. Just needed spending money.
Everybody got on from both sides, only one miserable family group but no trouble just kept to themselves.
Even the flight was memorable. Me and the missus got our tickets and being a smoker at the time, hung back before going through security it transpired we weren’t seated together. Asked virgin what they could do and we got upgraded for free. Turns out when we met up in departures part of the plane was block booked and we were to sit anywhere in our block.
Got on the plane and the head steward on the tannoy said “virgin cabin crew have been voted some of the best in the world…. None of those are onboard today” it was like a free for all. Most were crowded round the first class bar helping ourselves to free drinks. Even those in the block booked area in economy came down for a drink. Despite what they said on the tannoy, they were the best cabin crew in the world!!
to top it off I tried the trick again on the return flight and got upgraded again.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
First time to the Lake District with my mum and dad and two brothers when I was about 9 years old.

Ever since then, best holidays for me are about being in or gazing at wonderful landscapes.

Haven't yet got round to those Canadian ones mentioned above, but done a few fly-drives around USA to see places like Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Monument Valley. etc etc.

D

Deleted member 1147

Organised tour: Hong Kong, Cairns, Sydney, Fiji, LA
Or, West Coast bus tour - San Francisco, Vegas, Phoenix, LA, and all landmarks in between, followed by a week in Hawaii (Honalulu).

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
A week in a rented 1969 original V W camper van in the Lake District. No power steering, a 4 speed gear box, top speed 50mm down hill wind assisted, but the looks and waves from everyone were amazing. The weather helped but wife and I had so much fun being in such a classic on some fantastic camp sites. Who needs mod cons when you can have such a great time in a classic

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Every holiday on Mull.
Must be over a dozen and only one of them had poor weather.
A week on Orkney exploring the historical sights [sites] was a bit special too.
Mull is one incredible place that I've visited on close to a dozen occasions staying in the Treshnish cottages just past Calgary Bay. With Iona off the SW tip it provides awesome opportunities for interesting days out. However, if your main idea of a holiday is 'Sunshine' then best forget it. :oops::oops: It's your loss!!

babylonsinger

Visit site
Far from well travelled but loved Cape Town and some of the surrounding area when a few of us went in early 2020. Some wonderful sights