Best destination for golf in early January?

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Anyone with experience playing abroad help me out a touch.

We (roughly 12-16) are mainly looking for value for money.

Anything that hovers around / above 15oc would be great.

Lively towns nearby would be a bonus.

Cheers

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Anyone with experience playing abroad help me out a touch.

We (roughly 12-16) are mainly looking for value for money.

Anything that hovers around / above 15oc would be great.

Lively towns nearby would be a bonus.

Cheers

I know a lot of guys who go out to Turkey for their golf fix around that time of year.

Can get some cracking all inclusive deals which include drinks from carts on course etc over there!

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I know a lot of guys who go out to Turkey for their golf fix around that time of year.

Can get some cracking all inclusive deals which include drinks from carts on course etc over there!
Is Antalya warm in January?

In January the resort is cold and showery while the sea's quite chilly. If you love to relax on the beach, avoid this time of year and visit Antalya when the weather warms up in the spring and summer. On average, Antalya has a daytime temperature of 10°C in January, with highs of 15°C in the afternoon.

Is Lanzarote warm in January?

The average high temperature in Lanzarote during January is 21ºC, making it a great place to go to for winter sun. You'll definitely need your beach gear and swimmers for the days, but as temperatures cool to 13ºC at night you should pack some warmer clothes for the evenings.

Couple of our lads are currently golfing in Lanzarote, suspect the courses are not as good as Belek, but the weather will be better.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Nowhere in mainland Europe hovers around or above 15 degrees in January, so you’re gonna need to look further south, which is going to cost more.

You could get lucky of course, southern Spain would be your best bet I’d imagine.

mister v

Visit site
tenerife is very good weather wise, golf wise and price wise. we played over christmas at las americas golf club, course was in good nick, tee boxes were a bit rough but im splitting hairs now. Golf del sur , amarilla and Costa Adeje are all very good.
You can stay by the beach and then get a taxi to the course's to save hiring a car if you wanted.

The Fader

Visit site
If 15* is warm enough, South Eastern Spain might fit the bill. One of the most temperate climates in Europe.

Loads of cheap flights into Murcia or Alicante.

Good choice of courses at sensible money (for Spain!)

Round Alicante - Font del Llop is a great course with Alenda not far behind.

More courses than you can shake a stick at round Murcia.

Will be a bit warmer if you head to The Canaries but golf will be more expensive and the choice more limited in my experience.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
If 15* is warm enough, South Eastern Spain might fit the bill. One of the most temperate climates in Europe.

Loads of cheap flights into Murcia or Alicante.

Good choice of courses at sensible money (for Spain!)

Round Alicante - Font del Llop is a great course with Alenda not far behind.

More courses than you can shake a stick at round Murcia.

Will be a bit warmer if you head to The Canaries but golf will be more expensive and the choice more limited in my experience.

The only thing to watch at Font Del Llop - we’ve experienced frost delays at that time of year as they wait for the sun to rise over the hill tops, but it’s a great course.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
I’ve had a look into the Albufeira and Morocco. Weather seems decent, Morocco being warmer.

Very reasonable return flight prices from London.

Albufeira looking at around £600 all inclusive for 5 nights and 3 rounds inc flights. Only downside being I can’t find any deals that includes buggy’s.

Morocco looking at roughly the same.

Just looking for recommendations from people that have actually ventured to places in like this January. How do the courses hold up, which is better value for money etc

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Another vote here for Canaries. We often go there in December and the weather is typically low to mid 20s and can't remember when it last rained on us.

Our personal favourite is Fuerteventura Golf Club - nice course and a lovely hotel (Elba Palace). But if you want lively nightlife, Tenerife is probably your best bet.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Another vote here for Canaries. We often go there in December and the weather is typically low to mid 20s and can't remember when it last rained on us.

Our personal favourite is Fuerteventura Golf Club - nice course and a lovely hotel (Elba Palace). But if you want lively nightlife, Tenerife is probably your best bet.

Literally stayed here in the summer on a family holiday.... Course looked great in August!

sunshine

Visit site
Albufeira looking at around £600 all inclusive for 5 nights and 3 rounds inc flights. Only downside being I can’t find any deals that includes buggy’s.

Albufeira is on the Atlantic coast so a high chance of rain in winter, even if the temperature is mild.

A group of my friends have just gone to Thailand, great courses apparently and cheap as chips once you're there, ladyboy caddies included.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Albufeira is on the Atlantic coast so a high chance of rain in winter, even if the temperature is mild.

A group of my friends have just gone to Thailand, great courses apparently and cheap as chips once you're there, ladyboy caddies included.
Thailand is a golf destination now?

Brilliant 🤣

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

You do get some rain, but I wouldn't say a high change of rain. I've been in February a couple of times and it was nice. No rain in the next week.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240201_173143_Met Office.jpg
    Screenshot_20240201_173143_Met Office.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 1

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
18:45 & 14* here in southeast Spain at present. Our coldest recently has been 15* and our hottest last week was 26*. Bit breezy occasionally but probably equivalent to a decent late spring day in the U.K.

I played bowls in shorts and polo shirt today. Very comfortable.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Could you post what you end up booking/costs please?

Interested in a similar break in the next couple of years, be interesting to see the cost difference between January and May (when we usually go).

Tenerife came to around £610 all inc for 4 nights and 2 rounds inc transfers. Buggies at €45 each not included. Flights from London are around £120.

Non golfers for 4 nights no golf came to £399

Canary Islands in January is high season apparently, one of their busiest months.

The Portugal deal we would pay less and get an extra round and day so may be better value for us. Would also have to sacrifice better weather for it but I guess it all comes down to luck with that.

DPapas1982

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've done the algarve 8 times in December or January in last 5 years (yes sometimes had two trips), only rain we had was December 2022 when all of Portugal had record rainfall.

It's shorts weather during day, little nippy once sun down. Courses always been fine and we've tee's at day break when playing twice I'm a day.