Best Course you have played?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Granters
I have played Dundonald a few times off the yellows.
To play it off the blacks would scare the pants off me.
Decent score 91[ one over 5's] well done [not joking] I would be happy with that off the yellows.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm also an old fashioned links lover.

Machrihanish and Western Gailes float my boat. Of the newer links I love Dundonald and Machrihanish Dunes, both great tests of golf and nice lay outs.

Inland I love Toads place (Blairgowrie) Spey Valley and Boat of Garten.

Enjoyed my day at Walton Heath, very nice track as well.

What about my place is that not your favourite now?.

Must admit i'm a links lover ,The Old at St Andrews was fantastic, i was lucky to play it GCD just after the Dunhill what a course.

Played the New Course at St Andrews of the back tees last night a mid Zephyr of wind and that was a great challenge.

Dundonald as mentioned earlier fantastic course was +1 for the back 9 with a double bogey on 17 a couple of years ago.

Ballyliffen Glashedy is a fantastic track if your ever near there you must play it.

Last edited:

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hard one to answer.

Slieve Russell in Cavan is one I always enjoy and would call into work sick if I got a last minute call to play it.

The Valley Links in Portrush was another excellent course that I enjoyed.

Lastly, had my first experience of Portsalon. My golf game was poor but I really enjoyed the course. Some very interesting holes there. Helped I had good company in the form of Chris and Smange. I am putting it forward to one of the societies I'm in to get it added to next years rota.

I think a good way to judge is if you can play badly but walk off happy to have played somewhere nice.

Last edited:

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
Granters
I have played Dundonald a few times off the yellows.
To play it off the blacks would scare the pants off me.
Decent score 91[ one over 5's] well done [not joking] I would be happy with that off the yellows.

Hit driver at the par 3 14 th (I think) to a raised green,massive bunker at the front and a 5 yard target to hit. Genuinely harder than a lot of par 4's I've played. Amazing test of golf. Managed 6 pars which was pretty good. Greens are on a whole other level difficulty wise

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Best links so far - Carnoustie, best parkalnd - St. Mellion.

Others in my top ten are Turnberry, Formby,St.Andrews old, Royal Aberdeen, Dundonald,Royal Liverpool,Marseille,Delamere.

Not necessarily in order, but not far off. I am sure Hillside will bump one of them come September.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Sunningdale New, Bearwood Lakes, Swinley, Woburn Dukes, Blackmoor, Camberley - I'd take any of them.............

Not actually played that many but these stand out..

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Best? Most enjoyable? Not the same course in my view.

Best is probably rcd, but I have yet to really enjoy playing it. It's too expensive, too quirky, too difficult off my handicap, too slow, etc. Great views though.

I enjoyed paarl valley in sa more. I played it when the club house was a porta cabin.

There are a couple of ourses in fl which are up there. Legacy in Bradenton, and waterlefe too.

A couple in buenos aires stand out, mainly for the mental pace of the greens.

I have great hopes for Hankley common, which I am playing soon.

Lanark_Golfer

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Best course toss up between Muirfield, Ailsa Turnberry and Royal Troon.

Most enjoyed was Royal Troon, just an excellent day and the fact I played well probably swung it ;)

upinsmoke

Club Champion
Visit site
Woburn Dukes or Duchess (never played the Marquiss well), played Turnbury Edinburgh which was quite nice.

In Spain really liked La Torre

[edit] Ha, not Turnbury, Wentworth...close

PPE

Head Pro
Visit site
Royal Birkdale, Truly amazing

Played there two years ago and shot a 84 with 3 birdies, and even though you cant doubt the aura and history of the place it just didnt do it for me, dont get me wrong its good but it didnt live up to the hype of all the reviews i've read stating its one of the top ten courses in the world.

Best course for me was the TwentyTen at Celtic Manor and most enjoyable Thurlestone, Devon - a hell of a links course with stunning views and a good test.

wnn670

Medal Winner
Visit site
not been playing long but the 2 best courses I have played so far are boavista and parque de floresta in portugal

mareksoultrain

Medal Winner
www.alpha-train.net
not been playing long but the 2 best courses I have played so far are boavista and parque de floresta in portugal

I really enjoy playing Boavista and always have a decent game (for me). Fun course with plenty of variety and great views.

My favourite course played is still Saunton. I just like everything about the course, the views and ambience. I still managed to loose a good few balls on the way around too.