Best Course / Worse Course

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
best courses for me are Turnberry Ailsa, Royal County Down and The Old Course. My favourite is Cruden Bay

worst courses - Ecclestone Park or Exeter Golf and CC. Not setting foot on there until they are potato fields.......

It's been a while since I played Exeter, but it was on my junior league circuit.

It's not the most interesting of courses, but if that's one of the worst you've played, you've done well

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've Heard Saunton East is better.

Romsey!?! its not that bad, greens are usually pretty good

Yeah, i thought that was a bit harsh on Romsey!

Play Wellow quite a bit and it is rather flat.

Disappointed to hear Queens Park has gone downhill. Looking to play Bulbury next month whilst on hols. So i'm basically playing all the worst courses! Oh well.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Of course - I forgot - freedom of speech means I can criticise or slag off anyone or anything regardless of whether or not someone gets hurt by it. And since you brought it up - how silly and remiss of me to not equate members of golf clubs with front line influential politicians such as Farage and Johnson. Clearly my thinking is a bit squinty today :)

Someone asks me 1:1 whether I'd played a certain course and I had but didn't that much enjoy it - I'd tell them as much - but I'd also say that what I enjoy as a course is not going to be the same as what someone else will (see Pitlochry)

So, ket me get this right, it's perfectly ok to slag off politicians but not golf club staff?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
So, ket me get this right, it's perfectly ok to slag off politicians but not golf club staff?

Of course, I can slag off who I like, but you cant!! (Not sure how saying you dont like a golf course is slagging anyone off!)

Back on topic, I've always disliked Ogbourne/Swindon (it changes names) too hilly, several very similar holes, few decent ones.... but many of my old colleagues think it should hold the Open!:D

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Best - Royal Dornoch or Trump Aberdeen. Both really float my boat for different reasons.

Worst - Unlike me BUT I'm going to be controversial. West Lancs purely for the way we were treated. Staff were horrendous, pro was an arrogant so and so (not the current pro) and the course was submerged in places, not a great advert after a drive from Glasgow.

I was 100% with you pal, that day was a shocker........ However, I've visited a few times since and been thoroughly blown away by the welcome and the course!!! They have got their act together.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Back on topic, I've always disliked Ogbourne/Swindon (it changes names) too hilly, several very similar holes, few decent ones.... but many of my old colleagues think it should hold the Open!:D

Played Ogborne (fortunately for free) a few weeks ago. Don't think I'll be going back.....I'll add small and scruffy greens, waist high rough (=lost ball if you miss a fairway) and ridiculous wind even in summer (being on top of the downs).

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Best is hard to choose as been fortunate enough to play so many good tracks, probably Birkdale I think

Least I've enjoyed playing golf was in biblical weather on the "main" course at Portal hotel, struck me as a bit of a bland course even in nice weather tbh.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Best Course - San Lorenzo GC

Worst Course - Kingfisher GC, Milton Keynes

Kingfisher, for a 9 hole course, wasn't too bad, tricky little thing but the greens were terrible. It's shut down now, no surprise really.

I see you're at LB, I've heard many good things about that course, yet to play it though, even though I'm practically over the road.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah, i thought that was a bit harsh on Romsey!

Play Wellow quite a bit and it is rather flat.

Disappointed to hear Queens Park has gone downhill. Looking to play Bulbury next month whilst on hols. So i'm basically playing all the worst courses! Oh well.

Yeah sorry, I don’t wanna be that fella:eek:
I’d spend a few more quid & play broadstone, or drive a little bit further & play Dorset cc, or isle of purbeck. When are you down??

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Best for me is The Old Course, no question.

Worst I would have to say, purely based on the condition at the time, is Rodway Hill, but in truth it's where I actually shot my best ever score of 79, 9 over par.

Was there for for the weekend with my mates, we all had a brilliant time but it was coming off the back of this years worst winter we've had for a long time. The fairways and rough were indistinguishable, the greens were long and most of the course was just mud, but we made the best of it.

So yes, it was the worst in terms of condition, can't honestly say there's a course I've played that I've hated though.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of course, I can slag off who I like, but you cant!! (Not sure how saying you dont like a golf course is slagging anyone off!)

Ogbourne was actually typed into my reply at first but I held back. But you’re right there are very few courses where I’d rather not play golf than play there. Ogbourne is one of them 😂

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Queen’s Park was decent when I played it in June

Only thing we didn’t like was the dog walkers everywhere .. public path or not get out the way.. or at least respect the game .. ie someone walked right out on my downswing didn’t even look I hit (hadn’t seen her) shot was fine no way of hitting her but shouted fore to hammer the point.. she just carried on talking on phone didn’t even react .. imagine if that had been at her!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Best: Woodhall Spa. Could add plenty that are up there too but if I had to pick one course to see out my golfing days it would be Woodhall.

Worst: Ingol GC, near Preston. Not a bad layout, and some very nice holes, but after a bit of rain it wasn't hard to lose golf balls in the middle of the fairways. Think it closed last year.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
As 99.9% of my golf has been on muni's or P'nP's a choice for worst has many possibilities... But as it has already had a mention I will plump for Hounslow Heath with Airlinks running it close...

Best would be Crail [either course] loved it the several times I've had the good fortune to play there... Can't think of too many better welcomes either...

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
[/COLOR]

I think my first ever golf lessons (group lessons when I was 14 or so) were at Ruislip as well. But then I didn't actually play the course until many years later! I'm still not sure what's happening to that place now, it's due to fall victim to HS2, but I don't know if they're closing it down completely, or just cutting some of the holes and making it a 9 or a 12 like they did Uxbridge.

Latest rumours are Ruislip will close whilst the major works for HS2 are ongoing... The compensation money will be used to restore Harefield [Uxbridge] to 18 holes... Don't trust that will happen though... Council got compensation for the works that part closed Harefield, in the first place, but it clearly wasn't used to restore the course post works...

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Latest rumours are Ruislip will close whilst the major works for HS2 are ongoing... The compensation money will be used to restore Harefield [Uxbridge] to 18 holes... Don't trust that will happen though... Council got compensation for the works that part closed Harefield, in the first place, but it clearly wasn't used to restore the course post works...

I hope so. Harefield was a half decent course once. I used to queue up there at 6 in the morning to put s ball in the chute.