Best course in your county?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I must be one of the only people around that really doesn't rate Bowood! have played it a lot and just find it boring. rather play north Wilts, cumberwell or Manor house (if they can guarantee less than a 5 hour round)
I played Bowood last week, and wasn't a massive fan.

I've recently moved to the area & have just joined Manor House, played it a couple of weeks back & loved the place, we were told it was a busy day and we went round in 4 hours, a couple of small hold ups but nothing major - had we walked rather than been in a buggy the pace would have been fine.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I must be one of the only people around that really doesn't rate Bowood! have played it a lot and just find it boring. rather play north Wilts, cumberwell or Manor house (if they can guarantee less than a 5 hour round)

Living in Bristol when Bowood was first developed I had heard a lot of folks rave about it - but when I played it earlier this year for the first time I have to say I was rather disappointed.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Wiltshire and in order of preference -

1 - Manor House
2 - Salisbury and South Wilts
3 - High Post
4 - Bowood

Not really overjoyed at the prospect of playing too many other courses in this area but some others are ok. Not sure anyone else in the county agrees with the South Wilts shout as it hasn't been mentioned yet and it is my home club so it might be perceived as being a little biased but I like it and think it is a good test of the game.

Marlborough not make your Wiltshire short list. Tough in a gale.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's a tough one, lots to choose from :D

I would go for Royal Birkdale from the ones I have played. Think ive played most of the major courses apart from Royal Lytham.
personally S and A is a nicer course than Birkdale,but we have some great parkland courses as well links golf is not the be all and end all.

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never played South Wilts or High Post so maybe have a knock one day?

Have to play at Wrag barn in a few weeks in a league to Dubai match - any reviews on the place?

You'd be more than welcome to come over for a game at some point. Always interested in what new people think of the place, most seem to go away pretty pleased no matter what the golf is like. I know a good few at High Post too and enjoy playing it so getting a better rate shouldn't be a problem.

Played Wrag a couple of times and did enjoy it, a few nice holes there but a couple of weak ones in my opinion. You should have a good day as it will probably be in good condition.

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Marlborough not make your Wiltshire short list. Tough in a gale.

probably one of the more playable courses in a gale when it comes to Wiltshire! Had the county foursomes there this year in such conditions which made for an interesting day to say the least.
I don't mind playing there but I'm not a fan of a few holes as I think they are a little silly but a pretty good course all in all.

I'm up Farnham on Monday so looking forward to that, only played once before and it was a bit wet with the bad weather about at the time but did look like it would be a good venue this time of year.

D

Deleted member 17920

they did organise a 3day 4bbb comp on all courses this year.
I don't think coxmoor was included. If it was the heathland classic your thinking then it was lindrick and not coxmoor. £150 to play all 3

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Surely you're having a laugh? One of many laid out on farmland to cash in on the boom, little definition & little appeal. Orsett is the best I've found in Essex.
Thorndon park ...farmland? It's laid out in a deer park of dense woodland with trees that are hundreds of years old! Agree abridge is rather uninspiring but not sure you can say the same for thorndon. In the top 100 courses in England according to the list so must have some admirers.Orsett is a good track, particularly 6 and 12. Little boring once you hit the final 5 or so holes though.
Oops. I can only apologise sheldrake, I had a senior moment and confused Thorndon Park with Crondon Park. You're right, Thorndon Park is an old deer park and is a very pleasant course, the clubhouse is a bit of a let down, however I would stand by the description of Crondon Park which is a goat track of the first order. Welcome to the forum btw.

sheldrake

Visit site
Oops. I can only apologise sheldrake, I had a senior moment and confused Thorndon Park with Crondon Park. You're right, Thorndon Park is an old deer park and is a very pleasant course, the clubhouse is a bit of a let down, however I would stand by the description of Crondon Park which is a goat track of the first order. Welcome to the forum btw.

Haha no problem. I'm yet to sample the delights of crondon park but I'll put it towards the back-end of my to play list after that glowing review. And thanks for the welcome. I agree the clubhouse is rather underwhelming next to Thorndon hall!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
probably one of the more playable courses in a gale when it comes to Wiltshire! Had the county foursomes there this year in such conditions which made for an interesting day to say the least.
I don't mind playing there but I'm not a fan of a few holes as I think they are a little silly but a pretty good course all in all.

I'm up Farnham on Monday so looking forward to that, only played once before and it was a bit wet with the bad weather about at the time but did look like it would be a good venue this time of year.

Hope weather is good - will be interested in your feedback - i think its pretty good but I haven't played other tracks last month or two