Best colour for golf balls?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Golf balls are now available in white, yellow, orange, red and pink. Assuming that the pink ones are only for the girlies, what colour do you find the best for following the ball flight through the air and finding them on the ground? I personally use white balls when it's bright and sunny and yellow ones when it's grey and murky. Only use orange or red ones when there is snow or frost on the ground.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
White all the way. The other colours tend to blend in with leaves, trees etc. I get orange in snow but then if there is snow on the course why play?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
White all the way. The other colours tend to blend in with leaves, trees etc. I get orange in snow but then if there is snow on the course why play?

Because as long as the course is open, I normally play at least twice a week, come what may. :)

Last edited:

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm a man who plays white balls too, and all the better if they are spherical.

Never been able to get on with the orange or yellows etc, exception being in fun comps and the like.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm a man who plays white balls too, and all the better if they are spherical.

Never been able to get on with the orange or yellows etc, exception being in fun comps and the like.

To me, yellow balls definitely seem to be easier to follow through the air against white or grey clouds. Only difficult to find them on the ground if you have a load of buttercups or yellow fallen leaves on the course! :)

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There is only one colour for golf balls.
Anything other than white is just wrong and should be punishable by ridicule, disdain and a 9 iron sans vaseline.....

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
White, except when there is frost/snow on the ground. Then bright yellow.

I personally love to play pink balls (yup, I am fully aware I'm a walking cliché), but I am the first to admit that they are a nightmare to find in anything but the best conditions.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I carry a pink ball for occasions when a mate wants a provisional and his bag is a mile away... Its a nightmare to find! Similar to Pink castle tee's..

White for me, but orange and yellow have their place at certain times of the year.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
There is only one colour for golf balls.
Anything other than white is just wrong and should be punishable by ridicule, disdain and a 9 iron sans vaseline.....

The only problem I find with white balls is that they sometimes seem to disappear when hit into a cloudy sky, although this might be related to my aging eyesight. You have more chance of finding your ball if you can follow its flight through the air. :)

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only problem I find with white balls is they sometimes seem to disappear when hit into a cloudy sky, although this might be related to my aging eyesight. You have more chance of finding your ball if you can follow its flight through the air.

Bigger balls?

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
61MkBpSwwDL._SY300_.jpg

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
Similar to Pink castle tee's..

Haha was wondering how long before this came up! I remember a thread on the very topic not so long ago...

I wish I had a choice! I lose so many, it's whatever colour I can find cheap lake balls in. For some of the shots I hit, it doesn't matter a midge's wotsits what colour it is, you'd still be looking by the time they find the rest of air malaysia's fleet.

On a side note...pink castles and proud!

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I bought a few dozen Callaway Hex Chrome at a really good price. The trade-off was that they only had the yellow. I get a few comments but it's not a problem for me. To my eyes they are easier to spot and it is much less likely that anyone will pick them up or play then by mistake.

Guvnor2013

Medal Winner
Visit site
I do like to hit a yellow one and one of the benefits is that you can pick your ball out from some distance as you walk down the fairway when all have driven into the same area (assuming you play with the die-hard white ball devotees). Only a minor issue but the simple things in life give me great joy. Having said that, I'm losing balls that are plugged or amongst the leaves in this weather so am hitting a few found ones at the moment.