Best Club For Self Defence

algar5

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I owned a Sam Torrance long putter. Now that would be the ideal implement. Really heavy clubhead and a couple of grips giving plenty of options for use.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Homer, by the time you've gone through your pre-shot routine, the lowlife will be flogging your missus's rocks down the local pub. :Djk

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've thought about this before a reply. Mmmmmm I've got to go with the local Karate club, that's the ultimate club for protection IMO.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its all down to how you wield it. a good firm poking motion followed by a down the shaft grip (way down) gives you two weapons in one, jab and poke with hand grip end, followed by short sharp whacks with club head, also holding like this gives you better defensive options too. So in short, any iron would be a good choice.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Its all down to how you wield it. a good firm poking motion followed by a down the shaft grip (way down) gives you two weapons in one, jab and poke with hand grip end, followed by short sharp whacks with club head, also holding like this gives you better defensive options too. So in short, any iron would be a good choice.

Sounds Like Herbie is An Expert
Dont wind him up during a round or he might deck you :D

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some may recall an incident that happened at my club last year involving some (alleged) lowlife that turned up mob handed looking for trouble.

I can't say too much about it as I believe that it may be still sub-judice but one mistake may have been to tap one of the miscreants on the head in self defense.

To my mind, a gentle (OK not so gentle) tap on the shin would be far more effective. A full swing won't be necessary, it won't make them unconscious so they will feel the pain, and no chance of being charged with attempted murder/GBH or whatever. The severe pain should immediately disable the assailant, and give you time to take a full swing at the other leg as well making them really feel the pain.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
as a former fencer (no not that type) in an earlier existence, let me point out that the golf club is not well conceived for doing any damage by 'poking'.
the butt too, is too big, much too large an area (my favourite stop hit with an epee was the kneecap or ankle - the 'point' was, boringly, flattened to about 1/4 inch so getting hit by someone my size definitely slowed you down).

no, the club lends itself more to a sabre action, the slashing attack. but think more in terms of the even more primitive cutlass or machete where the weight counts.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
'' Your Honour, my client, the defendent had the honest, upheld beleif that the words rescue on the bottom of the club refered to the taking of his vehicle keys''

I'd be using the shortest club in the bag to take out a major muscle group or if that didnt work, to disable a joint, probably the knees. If a man cant stand, a man cant fight.

Simples! :D

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I use the local aikido club :)

Having said that, many years back, before I was doing aikido, a friend of mine stepped outside his house to try and help a girl being slapped around by her boyfirend. He'd pulled up in his car outside as she was walking by. My friend didn't notice the guy pull a cosh from his pocket as he walked up, fortunately I did and a quick whistle from me as I stepped out carrying the 7 iron by the door was enough for said boyfriend to jump back in his car and tear off leaving the girl a bit bloodied and battered on the floor. We called the police but she legged it before they arrived.......

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I was told once that if a burgular breaks into your bedroom and you hit him with a putter, you can be done for a serious offence as the putter was there for that reason.
If however, you have a putting carpet and a few balls lying around, you will still be done, but for a lesser offence.
Is that right Tony?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Assuming you don't trip over the balls, and brain yourself.

I would guess if you normally keep your sticks in the bedroom you would be ok, but if you put them there for a specific purpose, you would be in trouble.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bob, I keep my golfclubs in the bedroom so the burglars dont find em.... (yeah right)

Aslong as you dont hit him/her on the back (running away, no threat) then you should be able to prove self defence.

The putting mat and balls does add weight to the arguement it wasn't there to be used as an offensive weopan, it was just there and it was necessary to use under the circumstances ;)