Best carry / stand bag

bighairydel

Visit site
Looking for some recommendations please!
I've recently taken golf back up and for the first time in my life (38 years) I've finally joined a club. I managed to pick up a cheap set of clubs and a a lightweight stand bag (Nike Lite thingy) but it has a four way divider and it's infuriating me no end as the clubs all get caught up with one another when getting them out and putting them back in.
Is a 14 way full length divider bag the way to go? If so looking for recommendations please on a decent one that wont cost the earth and that wont give me as much of a headache using it!
Not looking for a cart bag as I like to carry them.
Cheers!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Welcome along. You might want to ask a friendly mod, or failing that Fragger :), to move this to The Lounge, you'll probably get a better response there.

As to bags, a 14 way divider will stop getting them tangled, it will also add weight; it depends which is most important to you. I would urge that you try the bag you are looking at on. If the straps are uncomfortable or don't suit you, you will end up cursing it. Don't ask me how I know...

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My titliest carry bag has 5 way divider

I bought those cheap plastic tubes for like £1 each off eBay.. put 6 in the bottom 2 sections for my irons (6-gw) then the two compartments above have 54, 58 wedge in one and putter and hybrid in the other

Top one is really wide so has driver and 5 wood (plus if I throw a 3 wood in)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Looking for some recommendations please!
I've recently taken golf back up and for the first time in my life (38 years) I've finally joined a club. I managed to pick up a cheap set of clubs and a a lightweight stand bag (Nike Lite thingy) but it has a four way divider and it's infuriating me no end as the clubs all get caught up with one another when getting them out and putting them back in.
Is a 14 way full length divider bag the way to go? If so looking for recommendations please on a decent one that wont cost the earth and that wont give me as much of a headache using it!
Not looking for a cart bag as I like to carry them.
Cheers!
can't help with a brand, but if you go 14 dividers make sure they are full length, had one myself that wasn't and the bottoms of the clubs still got tangled up, so was extra weight for nothing. Also worth thinking about is the 14 way divider will be much heavier than a standard carry bag

bighairydel

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, If the only downside is the weight for a 14 way one I reckon I should be ok. I'll try a few out first. Sun Mountain ones look pretty cool, though not the cheapest!
The tube idea sounds interesting though, could be a cheap alternative in the mean time. How do you fix them in place or do they just squeeze into place?

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, If the only downside is the weight for a 14 way one I reckon I should be ok. I'll try a few out first. Sun Mountain ones look pretty cool, though not the cheapest!
The tube idea sounds interesting though, could be a cheap alternative in the mean time. How do you fix them in place or do they just squeeze into place?

Sun Mountain bags are pretty good as a rule albeit not cheap and I believe they make some bags for the major manufacturers (Titleist Sta Dry for one iirc) so it might be seeing if one of those is on an offer if you're not bothered about the colour scheme or the advertising.

bighairydel

Visit site
Ah, i didn't know that, makes sense now you mention it though. Not fussed on brands tbh, will have a look about. Thanks!

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Sun Mountain bags are pretty good as a rule albeit not cheap and I believe they make some bags for the major manufacturers (Titleist Sta Dry for one iirc) so it might be seeing if one of those is on an offer if you're not bothered about the colour scheme or the advertising.

The older bags were made by Sun Mountain however this partnership has ended to the detriment of Titleist bags, sun mountain are worth the extra expenditure for a proper bag.

I have the 2018 Titleist Players Bag which is a 14way, I don't mind it really but I can't argue that the Sun Mountain alternative is definitely a better bag.

Titelst isn't full length so clubs do occasionally get caught but not to the point you pull 4 clubs out with the one you are reaching for, it feels like a half way house between a 5 way and full length 14 way.

I have midsize grips and a superstroke putter grip which I'm sure doesn't help. I haven't really had any other issues really apart from the straps being a nuisance at times. The clubs don't clang together half as much as most other carry bags which is a plus.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
The older bags were made by Sun Mountain however this partnership has ended to the detriment of Titleist bags, sun mountain are worth the extra expenditure for a proper bag.

I have the 2018 Titleist Players Bag which is a 14way, I don't mind it really but I can't argue that the Sun Mountain alternative is definitely a better bag.

Titelst isn't full length so clubs do occasionally get caught but not to the point you pull 4 clubs out with the one you are reaching for, it feels like a half way house between a 5 way and full length 14 way.

I have midsize grips and a superstroke putter grip which I'm sure doesn't help. I haven't really had any other issues really apart from the straps being a nuisance at times. The clubs don't clang together half as much as most other carry bags which is a plus.

Wasn't aware of that, thanks for the update. (y)