Bending wedge lofts

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im in kind of a corner... I have an odd gap of 18 mtrs between my PW and my 52 degree wilson tc wedge.... Is it possible to bend a 52 back to 50 and the SW back to 54 and the LW to 58...

What effect would this have on bounce?
And is it worth while.... These wedges are new and i dont exactly want to go out and spend more money to change them for three different ones.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The effect on bounce will be the same as how much you bend the lofts, so if you reduce the loft by 2 degrees, you in effect decrease the bounce by 2 degrees too

No reason you couldnt bend them but may leave yourself a bit low on bounce

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
The effect on bounce will be the same as how much you bend the lofts, so if you reduce the loft by 2 degrees, you in effect decrease the
bounce by 2 degrees too

No reason you couldnt bend them but may leave yourself a bit low on bounce

That's my one concern pal..... If i loose bounce iv effectively changed them to knives :)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
And is it worth while....

this is the really interesting question :)

if the gap matters then logically you would just go out and get a 49 and bin the 60 (or similar)

but you have got a 60 for a reason (whatever your reason is) so you are going to have to accept gaps somewhere

at the other extreme you take you longest iron and your lob wedge distances and just divide it between the number of iron and, after a lot of bending, accept the resultant consistent gaps - the problem here is that most will find this to be a little large for comfort!

personally I have about 18m (maybe a touch more) between my PW and 52 but have never found it to be a cause for concern. the concept of tweaking distance a little once within 130yds or so is quite natural, and the chances of needing exactly 92 yds (even if attempting to lay up to it!) is clearly slim (as is 123, 76 and 63 :))

so to attempt to answer your question - if you find yourself really wound up about this 'gap', and are constantly on the course wishing you had a different loft, do something about it (anything!) but otherwise I would work on developing a consistent 10 yd shorter PW stock shot.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
OK guys - sorry. you're right the real answer is to buy lots more new clubs rather than adjusting lofts or shot making.

just poured a pint and am getting back to reality :)

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
OK guys - sorry. you're right the real answer is to buy lots more new clubs rather than adjusting lofts or shot making.

just poured a pint and am getting back to reality :)

Good man.

Move along, nothing more to see here.

Matron...........Matron!!!!!!

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good man.

Move along, nothing more to see here.

Matron...........Matron!!!!!!

I can assure ye one thing... This chap wont be buying any equipment..Im boycotting gear.... What i have in my bag will be there for a bit.... Save for maybe a driver with maybe a little more forgiveness but ill be making sure i wont be spending much with my own if i have to.... :lol:

I guess rather than faffing about the best thing would be to choke down on the PW and close that 18 mtr gap by maybe half.....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What loft is the PW. Say 46 or so. I'd then go 50, 54 and 58 to minimise the gaps. I think you need to consider a variety of bounces too but its your bag. That does seem a big gap between your PW and gap wedge though. How did you work the numbers out, via a monitor?

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
What loft is the PW. That does seem a big gap between your PW and gap wedge though. How did you work the numbers out, via a monitor?

Its a 47 degree PW Homer.... I know 5 degrees dont sound like much but i hit my PW full from roughly 108 mtrs.... Thats a middle of the green shot for me.... And when i say full thats not like a full swing.... I hit my wedges more 3/4 swings for control.... In the backswing once my hands get to about shoulder high i turn back down... I never even get the wedges parallel with the ground at the top...

Worked out the numbers with the balls i use on the course and just good ol swings with a a half dozen balls on a quiet part of the course....
Maximum swing with a 52 is about 90 mtrs..