Beginner, where to start?

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A mate of mine has not long picked up the game. So after messing about with arl clubs he’s decided he wants all new gear.

Major problem... He’s got a budget of £500 for the lot

Any decent package sets out there?

Best I found was the Benross HTX for £599

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Personally I’d go 2nd hand,get better gear for your money.
This.

Get on Facebook marketplace and find a set of Ping irons that begin with a G. Buy a bag and a putter and he is set. Build the rest of the bag from there.

Often there are complete sets for a couple of hundred if you are lucky.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I always say just get enough to get you on the course (eBay/Golfbidder/Facebay/classifieds/the boot fair etc etc) then once you're in for the long haul then spend.

If he needs a new set for under £500 tell him to go onto the internet and search for package sets under £500 and pick one - it's not going to matter too much whichever one he picks.

With £500 you could get a really good 2nd hand set; here's what I would get if I was just starting - Prices from Golfbidder

Callaway XR Driver 13.5* regular shaft - £137
Mizuno JPX 850 Hybrid 22* regular shaft - £76
Cobra S9 Irons 5-SW Regular shaft - £139
Odyssesy White Hot RX #1 - £79

Total Price - £364

Add a bag Wilson Staff feather £79 from Clubhouse golf - you could find something even cheaper if you dig around.

Total - £443.00

That gives him £57 to spend on balls - £10 for dunlops (trust me when he starts that'll do),tees £3-4, and glove £7-10.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sats reply is bang on, if going new however i may well go with just buying an iron set and have no driver hybrids or wedges, that way you can be way more focused on getting something, for example looks like you could get the m6 irons under 500 new. Pick up a cheap putter, bag and balls and you are off.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Agreed with everyone above really - £500 for a full set brand new gets you nowhere.

Better off second hand.

jamiet7682

Visit site
What Sats said. Thats the approach i took, was out on the course for well under £500 with good quality gear and have just added to the bag as i progress. I have been playing just over a year and still onky take 9 clubs out on the course. Driver, 3 hyb, 5 hyb, 7, 8, 9 iron, pw, sw & putter.
I have a 5wd, 5 & 6 iron and lob wedge that dont leave the boot of my car because i cant hit them.
Could easily drop the 8 & 9 iron and still get round at the same standard.
I guess im saying you dont need much to get started.