Cack Handed Grip to Orthodox Grip

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hey there, I am also from sunny Stockport :)

I am by no means an expert, but I played pitch and putt for years and had my left hand low (right hander) about 6 months ago when I decided to start playing on a proper course I decided to change to a 'normal' grip. I went to the range a few times and struggled at first, then I heard about a beginners course at Hazel grove and on the first lesson was shown how to grip properly, I use interlocking (little finger on right hand, index finger on left hand) my hands were sore for a good few weeks but as has already been mentioned on here I had a few clubs at home and in between programs on the TV I just picked up my club got my grip right then let go and did it again, soon became second nature, I had a go cack handed a few weeks ago and it felt so weird. I am sure others have said but definitely get some lessons and then you will have a good grip from the start :) quite a few clubs round here do beginners, the pro at hazel grove I have found really good. I can ask when he plans on next running a beginners session if you like?

Danny

McDizzle85

Visit site
Hi Danny.

Cheers for your advice. I'm going to have a look around over the next few weeks at prices and maybe book a few lessons in after my next payday.

Are you a member at Hazel Grove? Would you recommend any other local courses that are good for beginners?

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi,

Yes I joined haZel grove, they have an academy membership for newbies £350 for the year including £50 bar tab and a lesson so it's a bargain really, the times you can play are limited to after 3pm in summer and after 12:30 in winter 1st oct till April. I've managed to get a full round in after work and on a Sunday each week. In the winter I'll be limited to weekends due to working till 5. The pro has also done 3 academy group lessons which were free. You also can't enter club tournaments which they have. But tbh unhappy just getting practice in, you can still get your handicap and they have a fab guy who helps out finding buddies to play with.
Only other clubs I have played at is Disley and Denton, Disley is nice, only a tenner for a round if you book online, Denton was expensive and quite tough I thought.

Have you done a full round yet? I don't find Hazel grove too difficult there are some tricky holes but overall I enjoy playing it. Been going twice a week since I joined in June. Can't even describe how much I've improved in just 3 months

Danny

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have recently decided to start playing golf. The most I have ever played previously is the occasional pitch and putt and driving range trip.

However one thing I have found out is that I have a Cack Handed / Cross Handed grip. So I use right handed clubs but I have my left hand low.

I have done a lot of looking around on various forums and although there are a few people that play to decent levels with this grip and a couple of pros I believe, the majority of people seem to be of the opinion to change the grip to the orthodox one and it seems that most pros wont do lessons with you if you have this grip.

What I would like to know is, is there anyone who has made this transition and if there is what methods did you use to change it? and how long did it take you? Basically any advice that you could provide would be great.

The orthodox swing feels very unnatural and I have tried hitting a few balls at the driving range all of which were majorly scuffed so I stopped out of embarrassment.

Any help or guidance would be very much appreciated.

I have a cousin who got down to 6 handicap playing that way, and I know a few Irish gents who play golf that way after playing the Gaelic sport of Hurling. I am experimenting with this grip at the moment for chipping. Usually players who use this grip hit the ball very straight, but not very far.

McDizzle85

Visit site
Cheers for the info Danny I'm. Going to take a closer look over the next few weeks.

Glad you're improving and enjoying it.

I've managed to play at adlington which is a 9 hole par 3 course. I think the longest hole is about 250yards.

I'm playing at Altrincham on Monday with a friend which will be a test as it's a long course but I've heard it's also fairly forgiving.

Delc I'm. Not so sure about cack handers hitting straight. My experience was that the amount of sliced shots dramatically reduced just by changing to the orthodox grip.

I still use left hand low for putting however.

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeh I found when I had left hand low, I hit it nicely but no accuracy at all, it could go left straight or right and I had no control over it!

Never been to altrincham, enjoy. Let me know if you ever want a game around Stockport 👍🏻