Beginner Package Sets - UK

ChrisWallbank

Visit site
Hi all,
Been slowly getting into the game, but really need to stop using friends clubs and get my own.I have been looking at these package sets and from the outside can't see too much difference between them, especially with the relatively small difference in price. I believe they all come with the same club types as well.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Wilson Prostaff SGI Package Set (Steel) - £329.00
https://www.affordablegolf.co.uk/wilson-prostaff-sgi-golf-package-set-steel

Wilson Reflex LS (Steel/Graphite) - £299.00
https://www.golfonline.co.uk/wilson-mens-reflex-ls-golf-package-set-steel-graphite

Wilson 1200 TPX (Steel) - £259.00
These are out of stock and should take a few weeks to come in.
https://www.affordablegolf.co.uk/1200-tpx-basic-wgtpxbsc0

Thanks!

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi, personally, and there's many many more qualified folks than me on the forum, I'd go to the sale section of the forum and see who's got what, or go to eBay for a 2nd Hand set, your budget should get you a pretty good, albeit a few years old, set up

GBC

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along

Package sets seem to have become a hot topic on here recently and if you use the search function you should see what's been said. There are a lot of differing views on these sets and whether they are worth the effort or you'll be better off going second hand or new. It depends largely what your overall budget is but I think you can get better quality clubs second hand but you'll find others will think differently

Lost_Cause

Visit site
I started out with a Slazenger package set (Slazenger v300 Set - £169) I’ve used them for around 8 months or so and just upgraded to something else recently.

A lot of people might say don’t get a package set, but I think it’s a great way to get into the game, it gets you out swinging and gives you cheap access to everything you would need, then in a year or so if you’ve stuck with it you’ll be in a much better position to know what you need/want in the bag and understand the fundamentals so can go for a fitting.

I’d advise a cheap set and a few lessons as the best way to go when just starting out. The other set I looked at was from AG (Wilson Ultra Set - £299) but I decided cheaper clubs and lessons was better utilisation of my funds. There’s not a lot in it between the package sets you’ve linked, in fact they are near identical and probably just a year-on-year “new” version of the same set, any will work so go with the ones you like the look of the most.

Alternatively, you can go the second hand route but prices are crazy at the moment with things selling for way way way over what they were just a few months back,

good luck and welcome to the most frustrating game you’ll ever play!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i got one of these starter sets when i started, once i'd got into it a bit more i needed to change to something better as the shafts were not suitable, in hindsight i wish i'd just got a SH set .

maybe look on your local FB FS section, Gumtree, or even a local pro shop see what they have FS, i bet you could get a full set cheaper and it will last you longer

Sekiro

Visit site
Nothing against the package sets, they do a job and fill a space at the entry level of getting into the game but you’ll find that there is some awesome secondhand gear knocking about that will also hold its value and be something you can sell on / trade in against a future purchase. If you are set on new take a look at Decathlon’s range of golf clubs/equipment;-

Decathlon Inesis 100 1/2 Golf Set - £150

YouTube Review Link

If you do go second hand have a search on Facebook Marketplace or better yet post your requirements on one of the bigger buy/sell/swap golf groups and someone will be able to offer you a set for your budget, if you have any questions about clubs on offer with pictures come back here and someone should be able to advise if you are getting a good deal or not.

eBay is a bit crazy right now so I’d advise giving it a miss unless you are after something very specific, everything seems to be going for crazy money and even the big secondhand websites are low on stock and the prices reflect it (I bought a driver for £54 delivered from one of the Facebook groups, they are going for around £90-110 on eBay and priced at £135 on golfbidder).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would definitely suggest putting some of the budget towards lessons and perhaps get a half set of "better" clubs All depends of course on budget. Granted the second market isn't buoyant at the moment but I think the quality still outweighs that of a starter set. Just a personal opinion of course

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I started. I bought a cheap package set and it didn’t help me. Clubs were poor quality and unforgiving.

Followed some advice and I bought a set of irons 5-SW (Cleveland) and a 3 wood (Callaway). All new from but 2 year old models. Cost £250 total. Used the putter from package set....

Worked for me. Plus I didn’t need the extra clubs at the time

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
When I started. I bought a cheap package set and it didn’t help me. Clubs were poor quality and unforgiving.

Followed some advice and I bought a set of irons 5-SW (Cleveland) and a 3 wood (Callaway). All new from but 2 year old models. Cost £250 total. Used the putter from package set....

Worked for me. Plus I didn’t need the extra clubs at the time

This is a good example of what I am getting at. I think there are better clubs with more longevity of use for the new player in the second hand market than using these starter sets. Also going down the second hand route gives access to a lot more choice

Fabia999

Visit site
Package deals seem good because they’re brand new and it all comes in one. If you done your research you could get a second hand set which would last you longer.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I too initially bought a 'package' set as relatively cheap way to start and find out whether I would become addicted. It didn't take long before addiction applied! While the irons were fine from then on, the (metal)woods were pretty naff.
So if you are already 'committed' to golf, I'd suggest a good 2nd hand set will be much better value - provided flex (generally not critical) and length (more important) is appropriate.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nothing against the package sets, they do a job and fill a space at the entry level of getting into the game but you’ll find that there is some awesome secondhand gear knocking about that will also hold its value and be something you can sell on / trade in against a future purchase. If you are set on new take a look at Decathlon’s range of golf clubs/equipment;-

Decathlon Inesis 100 1/2 Golf Set - £150

YouTube Review Link

Agree with this, get the Inesis half set. Whichever package set you get you'll be wanting to replace them after a year anyway, so might as well save some money. Just chuck in a second-hand carry bag off Ebay and you're away.

Normally we'd advise getting second hand clubs from ebay etc but prices are at an all-time high at the moment.

ChrisWallbank

Visit site
Hi all,
Thanks a lot for your replies.

Looking at some forums discussing second-hand prices and I’ve seen the same regarding prices now increasing compared to a few months ago.

I do want to just get out on the course, so did think I would go with a package set and slowly swap out clubs when I think I’m ready, and invest in a few lessons.

Sounds like I should take the time to go through the individual second-hand route. Maybe starting with:
Driver
Putter
PW

For irons, if I can only get individual, which of those would you recommend?

Thanks again!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds like I should take the time to go through the individual second-hand route. Maybe starting with:
Driver
Putter
PW

For irons, if I can only get individual, which of those would you recommend?

Thanks again!
This is quite unlikely, you'll mainly get sets of irons. Probably look for a set that's 6 to SW so you don't have to buy a sand wedge separately.

Sekiro

Visit site
If you do go the eBay route there are still some great options, something like the following would be a good start;-

3 Wood:-

Cleveland Launcher:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303668588453
Ping G:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224136853237

Set of Irons (aim for at least 5-PW/SW, don’t worry about 4,3,2 irons):-

Ping G15:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264844545260
Taylormade Burner:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224134666253
Callaway Diablo:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274477347301

If you are unsure about a set of irons just ask here.

Putter:-

Odyssey 2-Ball:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283993554359
Taylormade Spider:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283993554359

I’ve left the driver out the bag and substituted it for a 3 wood, these are only examples of stuff that’s available, your brand and preference will vary and you can seek things in better condition if you desire (everything I’ve linked should be regular flex/standard). Putters are very personal but most people when starting out have good success with a Spider or 2-Ball. As for a bag, pick a brand and colour scheme you like, possibly waterproof as we are heading into the wet season.

ChrisWallbank

Visit site
Thanks everyone for your messages, amazingly thorough! Really helpful.
Going to spend some more time on eBay and try and grab the deals as the come.

Spending a bit more for individual clubs sounds like it will save me in the long run.

Thanks again, I know there are other threads similar to this but hope this helps others as well.